Using the V2 as a master...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonguitarist

Reaction score
I experimented the other day when the other guitarist missed practice. I took his Carvin V3(4 6l6's), and used at as a slave while using the V2 as a master. The V3 on it's own is a good amp, but using the slave out on the Randall was F***ING beautiful! Has anyone else ever slaved a head with thier V2/T2? I will probably get a tube amp to slave in the future for sure!Maybe the Randall RT2/50

Did you run the V2 from slave into the guitar input on the Carvin? I used the slave on mine direct into my desk and found it was still a gainy signal, i was under theimpression that the slave signal was meant to be clean?

no, I ran the slave out into the Carvin's series effects loop return, so skipping the carvin's preamp all together and just hitting the power amp. Seemed to be a pretty good signal as far as clarity, the clean channel we still very clean.

Ahah! Thats actually a really good idea for getting one of these amps down to bedroom level too! Get a small valve power amp, maybe 10-15 watts and run the V/T2 powersection into the FX return.

I have been looking into getting my head down to bedroom level with some good drive behind it but no attenuators I have found can handle 300w haha!

yeah, it can run super quiet this way, or as I have found, louder than the amp normally goes, I also experimented with slaving my T1(Titan), and doing this is louder than the V2 alone, but since the Titan doesn't have a master volume, The slave level and master on the V2 are your only controls since the titans power amp is always on 10.

Can you not use the FX return on the titan to control the level?

I'd be interested in modding an orange tiny terror with a pre-amp bypass and using the power section from that since you could drive it heavily and achieve low levels.

yeah true.

On a slightly different note, do you know where the unity gain sits on the V2/T2 loop levels running dry?

Contradicting myself in this conversation I actually have a real issue getting the levels of a channel with the loop on and loop off to match, especially in a live situation where I just don't have the time to constantly switch between channels to match them (when loading/unloading i tend to move all the controls)

Need to find out so i can draw a little notch at the right levels :)

...well, no not really, i use my effects loop to help out with the clean channel volume, so I can push the tube channel volume a little harder, and I also use it as my lead boost. I just got a 6 inch or so wire and went from send right into the return. Never thought about getting the volume the same. Did you try to do just Noon on both?

I'll give it a try, when I've played around with them I have found that the return seems to act as an independent override to the channel level on the T2. So you could have your level on 3 on the preamp, and set your FX return to X and when you switch the loop on the level matches X, not 3.

I'll let you know what I find cuz it can work excellently as a level booster for lead work (in a similar way that the Marshall MODE4's do)

I have an Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes running in the loop although I tend not to use it, I'm not too keen on the pedal really, i like my tones really smooth n clean n thats a bit fuzzy and uncontrollable. Also its bypass and grounding are terrible, so so noisy!

So really I just use it raw, although I am planning on getting a Blackstar Amplifications HT-Dist or TS9 to get a nice fat lead tone

I suppose technically, but saying that, the hot tubes at least sounded better post-pre than before the Randall's pre. Gonna have a mess about with it alot!

yeah man, it's a lot of work getting that PERFECT tone! but when you get it, all the work is worth it! That's why I need to slave a tube amp along side the solid state power. It was the closest I have ever been to THAT tone!

yeah definitely! I like the straightforward T2 sound alot, but for lead theres definitely something else needed!

Have you ever used any of the old Carlsbro 4x12 cabs? I currently use one from back in the 70's with the original powertone speakers with the aluminium dust covers and the tone from that cab complements the amp so much, sounds brutal!

no, i've owned 3 cabs, a no name cab off e-bay, a Crate Blue Vodoo series, and a B-52. And out of those, the B-52 sounds the absolute meanest and overall best. The Crate dominates the high range for leads but is currently not working...And for my next cab, I might get a Randall or maybe a Vader, still undecided.

Fair play! I hear alot of good things about vader cabs although I haven't actively heard them. I'll keep an eye out for B52 cabs - you should keen an eye out for an old carlsbro lead cab, they go for dirt cheap because of the brand, but they really are the dogs bollocks!

Ok, will do! The one thing I like most about the B-52 cab I have, is it handles a ton of bass! One day the Density control got moved to 10 while transporting, and the cab took it well. Although not the sound I was going for, haha. The bass player said I was intruding on his turf!

Fair play! I'm not sure I'd wanna do that with mine, I'd break down in tears if i destroyed one of those speakers, they're not really readily available anymore haha