Recording at home...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonguitarist

Reaction score
What is a good program to write drums and bass, and record guitar on? I have Magix Music Studio 11 Deluxe, but was wondering what else was out there. And within the programs, would it be easier to use the effects loop send, XLR(already don't like), or just mic up the ol girl and let it rip!

dragonguitarist said:

I was afraid you'd say that. Can you record your guitar now into Magix?

I use a Mac. I use EZDrummer for drums. It's really easy to use once you get it setup correctly. It's compatible w/ both PC/Mac, but you it's kinda limited with the programs you can use it with since it is a plugin and not an application. For PC, it works with Acid Pro and Acid Studio, which isn't much money. So, for about $200 or less, you could have both.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Magix Music Studio, but I do know it's not compatible with EZDrummer.

This probably wasn't much help, but is an option.

Yeah I can use it to record, but I'm not really good with it, so I was getting opinions on what to use, so if there's something better, I would just learn with that.

Get cubase 3sx and groove agent 2 then use it as a midi triggered VST instrument in cubase for the drums,

thatll get you a reasonably 'real' drumsound with some tweaking and then cubase allows as many tracks as your PC can handle + the ability to write, track and mix everything too!

El_Thwatez said:
Get cubase 3sx and groove agent 2 then use it as a midi triggered VST instrument in cubase for the drums,

thatll get you a reasonably 'real' drumsound with some tweaking and then cubase allows as many tracks as your PC can handle + the ability to write, track and mix everything too!

You record silent from you effects loop out right? Does that capture the same tone you get from the speakers? Or would it be better to mic up the cab for tone?

I will look around at the programs you and SacredGroove recommended

ah sorry, I forgot one bit! you need the 'waves - amp2cab' VST or a variant of that for the speaker emulation, otherwise you just get the preamp tone.

If this is just for writing/demo'ing and not necessarily for "one man band" recording, maybe the easiest thing to do is use the program you already have and get some mp3/wav file loop CDs made for metal, or any style you'd like? This route would be a lot less expensive.

Recording guitar--if you can mic the cab/speaker, do it. Use multiple mics, if needed, then blend them together. If you go direct, an amp/cab simulator would be your best bet. Although, I've never tried recording direct from my RM4.

I thought I'd add to this since its a revelation.

I recently installed tracktion 2 since its been gathering dust since it came free with my desk a while back, and my god is it the easiest tool to use for recording!

I would suggest getting a mackie onyx based interface and using tracktion - its got perfectly good cab emulation on it as well as just about every other feature you could need all for about 1-200 quid - only things i am using currently that are not standard to it are waves Q10 (paragraphic EQ for tweaking geetar and drums) and Ozone 3 for mastering -

so yes, get this package and you have a full guitar/writing suite which if you ever fancy it is capable of full on professional grade recordings

will post a sample soon because I am just amazed at how easy it is to use (been a cubase user for the past 6 years) and how quickly ive managed to get good mixes from scratch!

H&K Redbox has AWESOME cab emulation. Good enough that my buddy doesn't use a cab. He runs his head with a powerbrake, Redbox to the pa and that is it. Killer sound. Might look in to that option. You don't need a power brake either, just hook up your cab like normal, run the other speaker out to the redbox set on speaker level and then run the redbox to the interface on your pc.

yeah dude, I had a chance to have a look at one of them yesterday when I was teching at a gig, definitely gonna be getting one now!