Pete Modded 1086.......

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman1971

Reaction score
I am in AWE........ :shock:
PETE........"HAND SALUTE"!!!
You have done WONDERS to this module and it is SOOOO ARTICULATE and DYNAMIC it blows me away! THIS.......is what a 1086 SHOULD sound like!!
just got it in today and wasnt sure what to expect since I loved the original 1086........but Pete made this thing into a BRUTAL KILLING MACHINE!
I can hear the CLARITY mod......but nothing "warmth" about this bad boy! Pure BRUTAL TONE!!! Man.........if you dont have this one......or you want to make your 1086 OVERDRIVEN with CLARITY (I swear you hear me breathing thru the amp!) Then get Pete to mod your 1086..........NOW!!!

*Not a paid actor but a real musician*

:D

Thanks again Pete!!
Dan is out...........

Love hear a clip if possible?
Awhile back i talked to Pete about modding my 1086, just never got around to it.
Glad you're digging it.

Man.........this is a HELLUVA module!!! And I had them all!!
TO me......blows out the EG5. Tighter and more controllable.
Only my 2 cents though! 8)

a clip would be great...im deciding between a KH3 and the 1086...and i could afford the clarity mod easily for a 1086...

please just a vid clip or anything! plenty of KH3 clips around the webs

I would love to post a clip but I am IGNORANT when it comes to recording or uploading anything!! :oops:
But the 1086 modded sounds killer. If you like the stock 1086....you will LOVE the modded one. I had the KH3 and really didnt care for it, but as mentioned numerous times over.....what sounds good to me.....sounds like crap to someone else. :D

Better than the EG5? Seriously? If that's the case, I'll get the Ultra with my package and get a modded 1086 in a bit. That good? :shock:

The EG5 did sound good. Dont get me wrong. But the gain was so uncontrollable when you turned it up past noon. It would squeal and just be noizy. The modded 1086 has plenty of gain on tap(THANKS PETE!!) and its quiet as a mouse when you stop playing, even with it turned LOUD. Barely any hiss and its VERY DYNAMIC. I think when I am standing there holding my guitar it picks up my breathing! So when you NAIL and power chord.....it **** near knocks you on your *** if you are standing in front of the amp. Now I use EMG's thru a Full stack and run a BBE rack mount maximizer thru my Lynch box and that cleans the tone up as well. But it is just KILLER KILLER distortion. 8)

Mailman1971 said:
The EG5 did sound good. Dont get me wrong. But the gain was so uncontrollable when you turned it up past noon. It would squeal and just be noizy.

Agreed...I had a love/hate with the EG5; it was a great mod, but I didn't like the way it reacted when I played loud, it seemed really hard to reign it in. In the studio I got some killer heavy detuned crunch that I enjoyed, but I can get similar vibes with the KH2 without the over the top gain.

1086 is on its way to me, then to Pete :D

Daaaaaaamn! I know what I'm doing as soon as I get that module in my hands! :twisted: ...the guys a jam with won't know what hit them!

Pedro said:
Daaaaaaamn! I know what I'm doing as soon as I get that module in my hands! :twisted: ...the guys a jam with won't know what hit them!
Funny story.....My band loved the stock 1086, hands down. I still had it when I bought the modded one from Pete. I plugged in like normal.....drummer was warming up....bass player tuning.....I hit a Open A chord with the modded 1086 and they just FROZE! "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!?!" I pulled a quick chugging riff out.....they are still WHAT IS THAT?....I couldnt help but laugh at the way they delt with it. They said "THROW EVERYTHING ELSE AWAY AND ONLY USE THAT!

again....I says daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn :lol: ... I won't even get that 1086 out of the box when I get it. It goes straight to Pete. I GOTTA hear this!

That's a great story there! Loved it! I know I'll get the same reaction 8)

I have done the same thing twice....bought a module...KNEW I was going to have it modded....couldnt wait....Got it in the mail and shipped it out the same day with out even playing it!!

got the stock 1086 today...I'm surprised to say I'm only luke warm on first impression. :shock:

I had it side by side with PeteSL+ and Pete Recto...not enough tone for my liking, as well as a bit thin. May be unfair to pit it against the Petes, so I put it against the stock KH2 & KH3....it seems to be in the same vein as the KH2. I feel like I could get close to the 1086 vibe with my other modules, but the 1086 could not get the body and power of the KHs. I grew up with Metallica, so maybe my ears are tuned this way.

The 1086 certainly has the Disturbed tone, so no surprises there. It's only been one short session, but I felt like I covered a lot of ground quickly on first listen. I can see why some don't like the mid scoop, it does have that blanket over your speaker effect which kills off any coolness.

It did have a lot of pick attack, so perhaps the material being played is even more vital. This mod stock seems to have that bite and sizzle which can be attacking, but goes into mosquito tone perhaps.

After some more jamming, I'll have to decide if I like the basic platform enough to get a Pete upgrade, or just sell it off...I want to give it a good chance so I don't backtrack and buy it again- what type of music is best with this module? I thought my style was close to Disturbed, I mean, how far can it be from Metallica? Any links to user's websites would be appreciated

I'm at www.myspace.com/innerprison

Experiment with the pre-amp tubes at least. I thought the third one I had with Tung-sols at least sounded OK.

The Tung-sol ax7 tube didn't exist when I had my first ones of this module.

What power tubes are in your amp? The 1086 responed pretty good with EL34's. I tried the 6l6 and didnt care for it. I sold it once......then bought it back and its been a really good tone. We play alot of metal and it always comes thru for the metal tone. Dont care too much for the mid scoop side. Before I had it modded i pushed it with a SD-1 and it responded really nice. Gave it a GREAT EDGE. I also set the Presence and the Density at about 3'oclock. The BBE Maximizer brings out more tone on this module. Some argue it kills tone.....but I found just the opposite for what we play(ANTHRAX, PANTERA, MEGADETH, METALLICA) But the Pete mod pushes it to the edge. It is hard when you compare stock mods to the MODDED ones. I had the stock SL+ that I A/B against my Friedman modded Brahma and the SL+ sounded like CRAP! and I remember it didnt sound that bad before when I didnt have the modded mods. Pete will make that 1086 jump to life. 8)

I have 6L6s right now, so I'll try some el34s, good idea...I'm not sure what preamp tubes are in there, but I'll experiment there too

Yes, Pete is killing my love for any stock module, lol
Thanks!

Thats the TICKET!! dont undersell this one. I am a 80's Metal head as well and this module will DO IT!! Yes.....the stock just dont cut it. All of my modules are modified and I wont have it any other way. Night and day in the tone. But I understand that it takes so long and alot of work to mod them thats why Randall keeps the cost low compared to the EGGY mods which are hand built. The EL34's will give it a more EDGE and not mushy or tinny sound. I used KT-88's but it was just TOO MUCH and made the amp sound rumbly. Once Pete mods this you wont look back. :wink:

Do you have a KH2 by any chance?

Curious to know how you compare the 1086 to that...my head is banging with allergies & headache, so that could be clouding my judgment- I feel so miserable I almost didn't plug in when it arrived today :shock:

I had the KH2(stock) but when I got my Mr. Scary Modded by Dave Friedman........it went Bye Bye! It sounded pretty good but the 1086 is heavier in VOICE wise. The good thing is that you heard it stock....so when it comes back modded you will REALLY REALLY notice the difference!! :twisted:
Your half way home......its in your hands.....now box it up....ship it to Pete.....and dream of KRANKING OUT Anthrax " I AM THE LAW " But VERY BRUTALLY DONE!! :p
Get some rest.....your mentally spent after the build up I been giving on the modded 1086 for the past couple months! hahaha
Nah.....didnt care for the KH2. :wink: