Fellow Plexi Blackstripe users PLEASE read and respond!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disciple

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently sold my blackstripe Plexi to eddie here on the forum and he got the module today in the mail. He said that there is a minor "silver sliver" on the bottom side of his module at the base of the contacts. He is worried that it will damage his amp head if he puts it in and wants to know if this is how it comes? Now I ask because when I bought it from the gentlemen here in town who owned it prior to me (he got it direct from a dealer brand new), he never modded it and only played it a few hours for testing out the tones with it. I never modded it as well and only played it a few times and sold it to get the new UltraXL.

I have played it in both my RM100 and my RM100C and have never had an issue with the module and honestly never looked at the bottom contacts when I got it from the previous owner. From it's performance and tone compared to my silverface it was awesome, just lacking a little of the gain that was a result of the updated components in the blackstripe versions. So with that I ask you fellow blackstripe Plexi users to look at your modules and tell me if you see this "silver sliver" and your thoughts on this - since I never saw it when I owned the module and it never affected my amps or my tone.

If you guys can take a picture of the bottom of your modules if you see this "sliver" and post it here - it'd be appreciated so we can help eddie out.

Take care -

Would Eddie be able to provide a picture as well? A picture is worth a thousand words and you'd probably get a more definative answer from it.

FM

well,i'll try to get my hands on a digital camera next week from someone at work hopefully...in the mean time,as Disciple had asked,does anyone with a black-stripe "plexi" module have a photo of the rear contact terminals from the UNDERSIDE that they could download on here or send to me.that would be much appreciated and would answer my question immediately.i managed to get a hold of an MTS dealer who had a new "plexi" module and he confirmed over the phone that all three of his modules do NOT have what i was describing that my recently purchased used "plexi" module has at a specific area on the contact terminals...

alright,i've got my hands on a digital camera & would like to send a couple of photos to show what i've been describing...but how do i download the photos from my computer to this thread,guys??? please help! i'm confused, thanks...

You need to find a place online to store them. You can then link to them. Using the Img button before and after the address of the pictures location

Press Img, paste or type web address of image and then press Img again

repeat for every image

here are the two photos!!!
Pictures%2Fplexi%20module%20001.jpg
Pictures%2Fplexi%20module%20002.jpg
...the metal "sliver" that i've been referring to is the horizontally-soldered strip that my finger is pointing to in between the 3rd & 4th terminals from the right(as your viewing to module from the bottomside)...so,is this a factory "thing" or not??? that has been my question??? thanks!

Mine does not look like that. Im retracting what I said earlier. Im using a flashlight and it appears the board may have multiple layers. But to me 1+2, 3+ 4 from the right are connected as pairs. It looks like two "H" patterns. All 4 are not connected together

I just checked with a DMM and there is continuity as I describe above

Drew, are you looking at it from the top view or bottom view?

Top view:
You can see the tubes

Bottom view:
You can see the Metal backing plate.

FM

hey guys,yeah to clarify things,this photo is taken from looking at the bottom-side of the module...the top side(which has the preamp tubes,capacitors,etc) does NOT have this metal "sliver" or anything like it soldered to any of the contact terminals!!! on my module,which is a black-stripe version,this "issue",per say,is ONLY found bridging between the two terminals on the bottom-side of the module.now that i've got some pics available-i'll e-mail them to randall amps to see what they have to say!!! i guess,it just bugs me because none of my other modules have anything like this and after calling a another mts supplier that had 3 of these newer version plexi modules in stock,he described over the phone that there was nothing remotely like this on his units...and if you look very closely the clear-looking epoxy-like sealer/substance over the solder job just made me wonder??? the cosmetic appearance/quality didnt seem consistent with the rest of the factory work on the circ. board.who knows?

yeah-this soldered piece that's on my module sticks out like a sore thumb...you either instantly see it between two of the contacts from the underside of your module OR you dont have it at all...

that's what i thought initially also...anyways,i'll post some info on here during the week once i get my e-mail answered from randall amps,hopefully......thanks to ALL of you guys on here for your help...much appreciated!!!

ok,well i finally got an answer back from randall amp's repair tech on this matter.the metal "sliver" was added to this module by randall.it seems that a very early batch of printed circuit boards had a missing circuit on it.to correct for this,randall soldered in this "sliver" to fully complete the circuitry on the board...