Help! My KH-3 isn't working

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorgMetal666

Reaction score
Okay I got it hours ago at my front front door, brought it inside opened then, just a few minutes ago I tried to play it. I turned the amp on with my KH-1 in the first slot and the KH-3 in the second, I get normal response from the KH-1, but when I switch to the KH-3, a tiny, weak, almost non-existent output came out. I then proceeded to try it in every single slot of my RM100KH and still no sound.

I got this module new, so what could be the problem? Could a bad tube be the culprit or did I get a faulty one? I have an extra preamp tube, so if that's the problem how do I swap it out?

Thanks guys,
Michael

aaargh..that sucks.

Make sure it's pushed and screwed home well into the slot.

You have to remove the tube cage...two crosshead screws.

To remove a tube, hold card at either edge and pull with a gentle motion to each side in turn...should loosen the tube up. Watch out not to do it too quickly, else you jam the tube into the front of the carrier.

Either swap the tubes from position 1 to 2 in the module first....or take your spare tube and try it in each slot in turn.

You can leave the tube cage off while testing.

There's an alignmnent to follow when replaceing a tube but it's pretty obvious (missing pin and blocked off hole)

Sometimes these things take a bang and it messes up the pots though :-/

Was it packed well?

If it turns out to be tubes, supplier should re-imburse you for new/send you new tubes...anything else, they should ship you a new module

JKD said:
aaargh..that sucks.

Make sure it's pushed and screwed home well into the slot.

You have to remove the tube cage...two crosshead screws.

To remove a tube, hold card at either edge and pull with a gentle motion to each side in turn...should loosen the tube up. Watch out not to do it too quickly, else you jam the tube into the front of the carrier.

Either swap the tubes from position 1 to 2 in the module first....or take your spare tube and try it in each slot in turn.

You can leave the tube cage off while testing.

There's an alignmnent to follow when replaceing a tube but it's pretty obvious (missing pin and blocked off hole)

Sometimes these things take a bang and it messes up the pots though :-/

Was it packed well?

If it turns out to be tubes, supplier should re-imburse you for new/send you new tubes...anything else, they should ship you a new module

I'll try the tube change, I think it was in all of the way in the slot, but the left screw was really difficult to tighten and loosen, could that be faulty or does it need time to loosen up? It was packed fairly well, it was in a bubble wrap bag folded over two or three times in the original box.

Mike

tubes can get shifted loose during shipping, make sure the tubes are seated securly, and or swap out with new ones.

most likely its a tube issue.

The thing still doesn't work...I swapped the positions of the original tubes, then I used a backup tube in both positions with one of the original tubes and it still has no output. I did notice that the tube on the right when looking at if from the front, was loose and sticking out to the side when I opened the cage. Could something else have been damaged and should I call the dealer (musicians friend) for a replacement?

Probably a customer return knowing MF or it took a bash....return it, get a refund and buy a known good used module :D

JKD said:
Probably a customer return knowing MF or it took a bash....return it, get a refund and buy a known good used module :D

Yeah I figured that it was already returned, I think I'll be giving tonymustang a pm about his KH-3 :)

MorgMetal666 said:
JKD said:

Yeah I figured that it was already returned, I think I'll be giving tonymustang a pm about his KH-3 :)

It's waiting for you man... only 3 hours play time....and i package the **** outta them in their box's and then in bubble wrap envelope.

Sorry to hear about your issues...

Today is also my first day with the KH3 I LOVE IT- it goes to the top of my list above the EG5 (my modded mods haven't returned yet for the competition)

Seems to be a mix between the Brown and XTC, but with Plexi clarity and EG5 gain; I really dig it

The lights cool too :p

tonymustang302 said:
MorgMetal666 said:
JKD said:

It's waiting for you man... only 3 hours play time....and i package the s*&t outta them in their box's and then in bubble wrap envelope.

Once I get my refund, I'll pm you on it, but that could be in a couple of days. Hold it please?

BTW is musicians friend known to be a good dealer or what? Steve's tone about the customer returns make me think their not too good.

MorgMetal666 said:
tonymustang302 said:
MorgMetal666 said:
JKD said:

It's waiting for you man... only 3 hours play time....and i package the s*&t outta them in their box's and then in bubble wrap envelope.

Once I get my refund, I'll pm you on it, but that could be in a couple of days. Hold it please?

BTW is musicians friend known to be a good dealer or what? Steve's tone about the customer returns make me think their not too good.

It's a symptom of all large warehouse dealers in most industries...I work in the Computer Industry....**** just gets put back on teh shelf. The more reputable brands at least screen it first...but the retailers in the chain are pretty much unscrupulous.

If you felt like the package had been opened before then it probably had.

My preference these days is for the small guys, where you get personal service...like the guys you got your amp from.

Unbelievable.

The next KH-3 I got also doesn't work right. The volume pot and some of the other ones don't work. I tried to increase the volume, but it doesn't work at all. I'm sending it back to the guy, he said he has two other ones so I'll exchange them.

This can't all be from shipping can it? Because, both KH-3's that I got had a bent face plate, curved like a bow.

Either I have terrible luck, or someone is f***in with me :x

i put a jj in v1 and an eh in v2 in my kh-3 and it wouldn't work but when i put 2 jj's in it worked but for some reason it wouldn't work with 2 different tubes in it. i even tried 4 different brands in all combonations- wierd. ended up using jj's for awhile now i like tad 12ax7's those are perfect for a marshall oriented sound, big improvement over the ruby's it came with

MorgMetal666 said:
Unbelievable.

The next KH-3 I got also doesn't work right. The volume pot and some of the other ones don't work. I tried to increase the volume, but it doesn't work at all. I'm sending it back to the guy, he said he has two other ones so I'll exchange them.

This can't all be from shipping can it? Because, both KH-3's that I got had a bent face plate, curved like a bow.

Either I have terrible luck, or someone is f***in with me :x

I had a 1086 get damaged in shipping...also my Grail bass pot died an early death...am pretty sure it's easy to take this out with a ding...but packed properly, It really shouldn't happen.

Bent face plate is definately not normal :-/ Was the chassis also bent?

How's the 1086 going with that sweet RR guitar of yours...

The chassis look fine, it was just bent outward a little at the volume and treble knob.

The 1086 is going great, I found a nice Maiden tone, like the ones from their heavier albums. I used my eq to get some of the bass out and get the treble and mids fine tuned. It's working great with my RR with Dimarzio D activators and with my EMG 81/60 in my LTD it was alright, but it has a mahogany which doesn't seem right for me as opposed the alder jackson which I love. I just got back in school so I have far less time to really mess around with my rig, but it's looking really nice at the moment.