first post, bought a Lynch Box. Not blown away yet.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rynugz007

Reaction score
I bought a Lynch box head after playing one in a local store through a matching lynch straight cab. It sounded huge in the store but after gigging with it over the weekend I can't seem to get it to sound as big through my cabs. (friday I used my ear candy buzzbomb 2x12 with v30 clones and saturday I switched to my old marshall slant 1960a with g12t75 and g12h30's). I'm mostly playing through the brahma module which again sounds thin with my cabs. I would rather not have to buy a new cab especially an $1100 lynch cab but if it made a huge difference than it might be justifiable. I will say I don't like the angled cab effect where it sounds completely different depending on how close to it you stand. When I get out 10 feet in front of the cab, it's ripping my head off with high end. Anybody compare other cabs to the lynch cab?

The brahma sounded wonderful in the store but it seems pretty lacking in the low end compared to my other modules (deluxe, grail). Should I look at getting a plexi module? Will it have more lows? How close are they tonally and gain wise? Is the brahma more 80's marshall as opposed to 70's marshall?

I love the 70's marshall sound but I want to be able to cover the thicker low midrange gainier rock sounds like Tool and Alice and Chains. Thanks in advance for any help that may come along.

I spent some time with an SL+. I thought it was too scooped out in the midrange for my taste. It was very 90's marshall jcm2000, DSL sounding to my ears.

you know

I have leared that having too much bass is a bad thing when playing guitar and micing up a cab, and after recording tons, while it feels good to feel that chugga chugga low end thump,

that really shoudl be reserved for the bass guitar, and too much low end on guitar really muddies it up..

I have a 4x12, and I had my density up and bass average, thought it felt great, recorded it, ended up having to roll off all of that mud anway, now I have an eq where I roll off all lower frequencies not neeeded, and keep my bass level to a managable level...

If you listen to tool, the guitar sits really in the middle, great sound, and not super bass heavy or thick, just perfect

I'm with you audioholic. Yeah, recording is one thing. I was mainly refering to playing live. I need to be able to feel some fullness on stage. I just hate it when I move more than 8 feet or so in front of my rig and the lows/low mids drop out while the highs become nasty sounding.

Yeah

the same thing happens to me, in certain rooms. In my studio, the bass will be plenty full and I actually will have to bump it down completly with a 4x12. Take that same settings to a larger open place, and it seems all bass went away, so I naturally want to pump it up again.

I think room has more to do wiht it then actuall sound, perhaps position your cab against a wall or something might help some of the low end to come back at you rather then get scattered, or have some of yoru guitar fed through your monitor or something...... Its the cabs reacting to the room.

The speaker and to a lesser extent the cab they're in are almost as important to the tone as the amp.

I could never get on with g12t75 on their own but with g12h30 it should sound ok. I have v30/g12h30 in my cab and never want for low end but my cab is on the floor *and* close to a wall. It's a Randall MTS cab and I find it fairly balnced without too much beaminess.

I'd say take a shot at some different speakers before buying a whole new cab. The Lynch cab sounds fantastic though and I really want one too :D

You could possibly get your Brahma nodded for more Bass but that's messing with a winning tone IMO....it's one of the best Plexi tones that isn't a modded Plexi.

Did you try 6L6 power tubes? Another option that's relatively inexpensive.

Just wanted to add that toucan run a pair of 6L6 and a pair of EL34 in the 100W head for a mix of tones.

Want to get really out there...then pick up some KT88 or 6550 .....awesome.

Tubes is where I'd start and it may be enough but in the end the cab/ speakers dominate your sound.

i took my g12t75's out of my 4x12 cab and replaced em with a warehouse 30 and a eminence governor. (kept the g12h30's though)

It sounds waayyyy better now!!

I might try placing the cab on its side so I get more of a straight cab effect. Anybody doing this?

wgs v30 strikes again, them things are balanced so well and a have good tight thump

Might bee able to swap the 75 watt Super V speakers for the 150 watt ones. It'll cost a bit, but it might beef up the sound. I personally haven't tried them, and have a post in one of the forums here asking about the differences tonally between the two versions of the speaker, but I assume the higher powered ones would have more bottom end to them.

Also, you might be interested in running a BBE sonic Maximizer, as I hear it brings out new soul in the tone of any instrument it's used on.

Many people talk about new tubes, and KT77s are based on the EL34, but with more bottom and a generally smoother sound. You might actually wanna mix 2 KT77s with 2 E34L's (I think those are the ones that come stock in the Lynch Box, I'd have to check again), which also have a bit more bottom to them than regular EL34's.

rynugz007 said:
i took my g12t75's out of my 4x12 cab and replaced em with a warehouse 30 and a eminence governor. (kept the g12h30's though)

It sounds waayyyy better now!!

I might try placing the cab on its side so I get more of a straight cab effect. Anybody doing this?

YES... flip the cab on its side , and "couple" it to floor , you'll be amazed at the WALL of tone , even better if it's on a wood floor ...
i was show'n this trick about 8 months ago !!! although i just took the wheels off my cab ( i don't use slant cab's so i didn't have to flip it :twisted: )

I have done side by sides with various 2 x 12 cabs and the Genz Benz 2 x 12 (front ported) was the fullest, "biggest" sounding 2 x 12--which is why I use one with my Lynch Box. Gerry, George's tech recommends ported 2 x 12's if you going to use one. He suggested putting a 1.5" port in the back of an otherwise closed back 2 x 12 if you are using one which allows the speakers to flex more which allows for better bottom end response.

As for the Brahma, I was disappointed with mine when I first got it but two things have made it one of my favorite mods--and is probably--IMO, the most authentic of the Marshall based mods...

First, I had Pete Turley (Okstrat) mod it and he gave it a touch more bottom.

Second, I push it with an Xotic BB pre-amp which also allows me to add more bottom with the tone controls on the pedal--and more transparent gain. There are other good pedals you can put in front of it. George pushes his sometimes also with a pedal.

I have the lynchbox head cab and gflex 212 bottom with super v speakers. I must say the LB cab sounds great but im diggin the 212 took me a while to get the hang of the head and I have 5 mods I mostly use the mr scary but find myself switching from room to room I play. Dont give up the ported cabs make a big difference in tone to me.