Lynch "GRAIL"

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtr31

Reaction score
still waiting for any info on this ..anyone heard if they are shipping of exactly what the tone is like ive seen a few posts talking about Gerry ..saying ..they were great ..any info ??? Im very intrested cause I love the Mesa Low mid chunk on rythms I tried an F50 the other day and was floored ..BUT i really like the modular concept ...

I ordered mine from Brookdale music - I know he got like 3 instock when I ordered mine, but those are all gone. He might've gotten a few more in by now - I'd email or call them to find out.

Ask for Rich and tell him Mike from the Dojo and MTS forums sent ya.

Anyone else pick one of these up yet? Mine won't be here till mid next week.

Just curious if anyone else has got this yet - I haven't heard of anyone else having these instock beside Brookdale which is where I got mine.

I called Brookdale music and they had 3 available, however they were already sold. They mentioned that they should have some more in about 3-4weeks.

Rich is the guy to talk too. You can also mention that you heard via Dojo/this forum via Mike.

Do any of you have pics of this. Front view (Knobs) and Top view (Components). Kinda like jimosity did for Mr Scary.

FM

light -

Yeah Rich is great to deal with - I just got my confirmation email from UPS with them scanning it, but it won't go out till Monday. They don't do weekend deliveries with Brookdale I guess only Mon-Fri.

Definitely ask for Rich if anyone is interested he's great to deal with and let them know I sent ya and Rich will hook you up with the $225 shipped deal.

I got my grail module last week, it sounds pretty cool, it has a much tighter bottom end than the recto, i guess it has that recto feel, but it's not nearly as smooth as the other high gain modules i have, it is quite harsh, especially in the high end.... it cuts through in the mix nicely for rhythms but sounded a little on the thin side for leads...I prefer the Mr Scary for leads i think as the high end gets nice and rounded at gigging volumes whereas the grail seems to be going the other way.

My Grail from Brookdale came in today, along with my Modern module from Stevarino (thanks again Steve!). Just so you know when I was testing it compared to my Mesa Dual Rectifier I was running my Randall RM100 with a Sonic Maximizer Stomp and a Yngwie DOD signature Overdrive Pedal (his newer one) for a tighter overall sound. I've found that with most of my MTS modules these two pedals in combination really bring out the most in the modules with more clarity and articulation. Except for the Blackface, Deluxe and the Modern - those are ones I don't run these two pedals with, too much of it fighting them.

I have to agree with Rick on this one. The Mr. Scary has way more cutting power and substance for leads than the Grail. I was really surprised that the gain on the Grail is pretty low compared to my Dual Rectifier's. The low end on the Grail falls short as well. I can get it pretty close to my Dual Rec tone, but probably around 80-90 percent tops. Now that is also because this isn't a true "Rectifier" module to give us the full spectrum - but rather a selective tone definitive of Lynch's newer stuff from recent years. I can definitely dial my Rectifier in to the tones of the Grail - just that the Grail can't dial in the higher gain/smoother tones that I am used to with my Dual Rec.

Compared to the Recto and Rectified though - I think this comes closer to my actual Dual Rec tone - so if you're debating between one of the previous two and this I'd go with this one, to my ear it is more approximate with Mesa's tone.

Once again I agree with Rick in regards to high gain modules - I dig the 1086 as the best high gain module so far for the MTS line. Second is the XTC for a slightly "smoother/creamier" gain sound and the SL+ after that. Also the new UltraXL has quite a bit more gain as well compared to the Grail - but keep in mind that is based more on a "Dimebag Darrell" tone and tends to sound more compressed, but is still a great high gain module I think.

Now I'm not bashing the Grail - I do really enjoy the tone from it - it has a good gain section, just don't be expecting to have the full Dual Rec capability with this one - it does about 85% of the gain of my Dual Rec, it is just the max portion on my Dual Rec, it can't do. Also the bright switch on this one does a good job of breaking up the tone a little bit more for me compared to some other modules and this switch (sometimes w/ others I can't tell much of a difference when I switch it).

So there is my review on the Grail from the 1st day playing with it. I'll mess around with it more in the next few days and if I find some more info I think would be useful I'll post it.

----> Note: I did like how Randall used knobs like the Dual Recs too :p

Does this have more gain than the plexi? :? I've gotten a killer "older" tight and punchy Heavy Metal tone out of my plexi module, but I need just a tiny bit more gain to be totaly happy. I really like the rectifier tone but without the extreme mid scoop.

I dont care about using it for lead, I have another Module for that, but I might get 2 just in case... I've got my finger on the buy button right now.

Yes this has quite a bit more gain than the Plexi.

It comes pretty close to my Mesa Dual Rec - just not quite like I said around 80-90 % close, but as far as gain it is pretty decent considering it is more of a high gain module where as the Plexi is more classic rock sounding you know?

If you're looking to get one - check out Brookdale Music - they offer MTS forum users the Lynch modules for $225 shipped anywhere in the US - just let them know I sent ya and ask for Rich, he's the one that set that up for us.

hey maeshuggah-the one module that you'll want to check out,once it's available,will be the Lynch "Brahma"!!! it's gonna be a hot-rodded plexi tone with a tad bit more gain & punch over the reg "Plexi" module,but with an american tone "twist" to it-per Lynch's input.that's the one i've been wanting to hear for a while now.i tried the "Grail" at Brookdale Music a couple of weeks ago & it just really didnt impress me at all...

Ok, picked the grail, :twisted: I have one question though Disciple, what tubes came with your Grail module?, I use Nos sylvania's in my modules gives me better gain and clarity, before I used the sovtek 7025 which I find are VERY bland dull and imo only good for phase inverters in my poweramps.

Goldwing68nv thanks for the info, I'll definately check out the brahma module. The american twist is probably less mids and more highs and bigger bass.

I have a grail. It's preaty bad A$$ Thick bottom end and plenty of gain. A must have for sure. :twisted:

I just picked up a Grail this weekend. I love the aggressive tone it has, but what sold me is if you crank the mids to 6 or 7and back off the gain to half, it sounds similar to the Soldano HR50 I sold to fund my Randall rig.

I own a Soldano Hot Rod 50 a 93. I also own a Lynch Box and have the grail... I have not heard the similarities yet but now thatyou have mentioned it... "I just picked up a Grail this weekend. I love the aggressive tone it has, but what sold me is if you crank the mids to 6 or 7and back off the gain to half, it sounds similar to the Soldano HR50 I sold to fund my Randall rig." you have peeked my interest and I'm gonna have to try it. What are your Hot Rod 50 settings?

I can get very Soldano-like tones from my Koch Multitone with the right EQ tweeks.

Khing

My fake HR50 settings on the Grail? Bass about 6, mids 6, high 7, gain around 5 or 6. I listen to alot of Govt Mule, and this mod gets into that territory, at least to my ears, plus it can get very mean and nasty. I'm using El34's in my power amp as well, maybe that fills out the mids alittle more too.