Just bought a Plexi module off eBay tonight...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy510

Reaction score
So out of curiousity, if I were going for a JCM 800 (anyone here know of Hawthorne Heights, think the sound on their first album) kinda tone, can I get that out of the Plexi or would I have to pick up something like the SL+ and mod it? Right now I have the blackface, recto (modded), xtc (modded), the 1086 plus the plexi on the way. Can any of those get that sound? Also, I'm looking to get the Zakk Wylde sound, would you suggest I get the SL+ or could I use one of the modules that I already have to get that tone? Thanks all! :D

I don't have a clue on what "Hawthorne Heights" sounds like.. but
If you want Zakk Wylde sound.. with the Plexi.

Crank the gain up full, bas:10, mid:4, treble:5-6..
Precence up a bit around 4-5.. and then you need a guitar with hot pickups like EMG.. then you might need a SD-1(zw-44) infront of it.. and a wah pedal :lol:

I'll think the fastes way to the zakk sound is the SL+.. with or without the cap mod(recomend with).

Personally a setup of two Plexi modules and one SL+ is my goal.
SL+ for highGain "chugging"/solo..
Plexi as mentioned up there for more regular use :?
And one Plexi for clean sounds.. the clean sound in the Plexi module is my favorite so far.

And I don't belive in mixing modules like Recto and a Plexi for live use.. they are to different in sound that you just get confused playing.. at least I'll get that :lol:

Maybe if it was possible to run a SL+ and a Recto at the same time.. but that's another question..

You're not gonna get a Zakk tone out of the SL+, it's too thin and wimpy. The Plexi will do it best, but you'll need an overdrive. I ran mine as follows:

Gain: 10
Bass: 6
Mids: 6
Treble: 7
Presence: adjust to taste, I had mine between 5 and 7

Then use the typical cranked level, 0 gain, tone-to-taste setup on your overdrive.

Cool, thanks for the help guys! I haven't tried running OD in front of any of the modules before... how well do Randall amps take to OD pedals? Thanks again for the help so far!

The modded Top Boost takes pedals like it was made for them. A Barber Silver LTD sounds killer but then again so does my OCD and OD808 :)

ned said:
The modded Top Boost takes pedals like it was made for them. A Barber Silver LTD sounds killer but then again so does my OCD and OD808 :)

I agree. My (unmodded) Top Boost sounds really great with an OCD. It adds a bit of Marshall-ness to the voxy Top Boost. . good stuff.

Just curious how using the OD as a "boost" makes the plexi sound more like ZW's sound? I know he uses one too, just curious of what it changes in the tone? :) Thanks! I'm currently trying to snag a modded SD-1.. hope I get it! :wink: