Heavy metal tone module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muskpsmesane

Reaction score
What module can i get a metallica black album tone or a shadows fall heavy metal type tone out of? Im leaning towards the xtc? I dont care about versatility in the module i just want the tone. I was thinking either ultra xl, xtc, or rectified. Help me out here.

ultra xl or the xtc, if your looking for a lot of gain then go for the ultra xl, its killer.

If you want to buy one contact me, I have one for sale.
[email protected]

haha well i got good replys on all the modules it seems like. I really wanna get to hear some more clips from the xtc ultra xl and rectified cause i live in Va and thers no randall dealer in the state so i have to make my decisions based on this forum so if anyone has any clips that be great.

evhwolfie said:
the 1086 would probally do both from what I hear

I played the 1086 tonight - I can't agree with that statement. The 1086 sounds like a Rectifier to me, not much more not much less. Maybe not the Rectifier module, but the actual amp. (I was playing it along side a Rectifier with a second guitarist, this is how I drew the comparison.) Really, I was trying hard to hear the Plexi in it but just wasn't hearing it.

I really like the Ultra but I've never played the Ultra XL, though I want one. The 1086 had about similar gain to the Ultra I had in the 3rd channel of an RM100.

I disagree with that, I find that the 1086 can do a couple different tones, it all depends on your settings. I think maybe you didn't take the time to really go through it? I played with mine for weeks and really loved it! I have a dual channel E-Rect Egnater module, but I still kept the 1086 if that says anything. It is capable of some really great tones, I would suggest it to anyone looking for a really versatile high gain module! :D

I did take the time to go through it, extensively. I didn't say that it sounds like the E-Rect module, I said it sounds like a Rectifier - a REAL Rectifier. Never tried any of the Rectifier modules but a Rectifier will come closer to the Mark IIC tone than anything else out there...

I don't doubt that the 1086 is a good module, or has great tones, after all I said it sounds like a REAL Recto. I just didn't find the "Plexi" sound everyone is talking about in the 1086.

I found the hot-rodded marshall sound in mine? I'll make some sound clips once I get my M4 and a mic set up. I didn't say you said it sounded like an E-Rect, I am saying that I OWN the E-Rect which sounds VERY MUCH like a REAL rectifier (yes I have A/B'ed the modules with a real recto that my friend owns.) whereas the 1086 doesn't really have the Recto tone nailed, it has more of it's own cool thing going on. All I'm saying is that it's a great module if you take the time to dial in the sounds. It also helps that I'm using a seperate power amp, maybe the Mesa and VHT power amps I've used with the RM4 make more of a difference on the sound than the Randall versions? The 1086 in the RM50HB I had sounded amazing and I was still able to get both sounds out of it FWIW.

Hmm, maybe the power amp is making a big difference because, like I said the Ultra and the 1086 seemed to have nearly the same gain (but different color).

I play the Recto Preamp into the Recto 2:100 power amp - I'm looking at replacing the Recto Pre with the M4, I hope I get the same sounds from it. You're getting my hopes up saying that the E-Rect sounds like a real one, hopefully nearly exact to my pre. Is yours modded?

Yes, I'd love to hear some sound clips of what you're getting out of the 1086!

Mine may possibly be modded, I bought it used from a friend of mine on another forum. I can try to ask him if I get ahold of him again. When I used it last it was the first channel through the Randall RM50HB head into a Mesa Boogie Thiele cabinet and I would say this: If you have the Incubus Make Yourself album, listen to pardon me. That's pretty much the tone I nailed as I had it dialed in! It seems to be more suited to rhythm (but then again I haven't been able to try out the 2nd channel on it yet! :wink: ) but it definately does the Mesa thing well. Different flavor than my 1086, but still cool in it's own way. I also have a Mr. Scary waiting for me at home but still no Egnater M4 so I'll have to wait to check that one out! From what I've heard in sound clips, I think I will like it! :D

BTW, the VHT 2:50:2 power amp + RM4 = KILLER TONE!!! If I don't like the way my Mesa 50/50 sounds with the M4, I'm keeping the M4 and selling the Mesa to buy another VHT power amp! I feel dumb for selling it, but at least I know it's an option that I wouldn't mind exploring again and I didn't really lose any money on the deal! :)