Modern module info

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube Head

Reaction score
Im looking at the modern module for a high gain sound. i have the 1086,ultra and recto already. has anyone spent time with the modern module? what kind of amp does it sound like? would it be redundant to ad this module to my setup.?

I had the recto, ultra, modern, and sl+ for a while. the modern sounded less mushy and more clear than the ultra. it kinda picks up where the sl+ leaves off and can get pretty nasty. i haven't heard the 1086 yet, so i can't give a fair comparison there.

incidentally, i'm selling my modern module if you're interested. i'm looking for an sl+ because the songs my band is playing these days don't require such a hi-gain module.

Scott said:
SL+ is imo the best high Gain. Ultra is too compressed and the 1086 doesn't have enough gain

+1 on that........I have the Recto and SL+ but have also tried the 1086, Ultra Lead, & XTC. The SL+ is my favorite high gain module. I like the Recto for newer metal tones where my guitar is tuned down and I don't have to lead. For me the SL+, Recto, and Blackface cover it all.

Wow for me the SL+ didn't come close to the gain I got with my 1086, interesting. I really dig the 1086, it just has alot of versatility with what you can do with it compared to the other modules - but it is a newer rock tone definitely - some like that and some don't, just depends on your cup of tea.

I just purchased a Modern through Steve here on the forums and got to play one of these a few months ago and really dug the tone from it. It doesn't really sound like any amp out there I can put my finger on, but it is unique in its own right and I guess that is why I liked it and bought one finally.

The SL+ is nice and so is the XTC in my opinion, but the SL+ is gainier compared to the XTC, where as the XTC has a smoother tone articulation wise not as harsh.

I agree with another post on the Ultra series, they do seem compressed quite a bit - but are great for those Dimebag type tones if you dig that (like me). The XL seems to have a bit more gain and a tighter sound overall compared to the original Ultra, but are both very close in sound.

I am waiting on my Grail, which should be here this week - and from what I've heard it is supposed to be a "better" rectifier tone than the Recto and Rectified modules - but once again that is just what I've heard from some people. I own a Dual Rec so I will do a side by side comparison when it comes in and post my results then.

Hope some of that rambling helped lol.