What do you use to get close to this tone?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryMcT

Reaction score
I want to get close to the tone at 1:00 in this video (the very first thing played). . . very SRV-ish:

http://www.musicv2.com/mp3_request.m3u?m=download&id=421&url=/bank/videos/948_Alex_and_Myrons_complete_wankdom.wmv

The closest that I've been able to get is the neck and middle SA1's in my Anderson Drop Top with the Randall TopBoost module. I tried the Randall Blackface module with a tube screamer in front, but couldn't get nearly as close as the TopBoost. I'll record some clips at some point of where I'm at with this in case anyone has suggestions.

Ummmmm.. get a Suhr and a THD Flexi?

Honsetly I don't know man. I agree that was a SLAMMIN tone they had there, but I've never heard anything like that out of the MTS series. I would almost look to the egnater modules. I have the Blackface and Top boost too (Both modded clean) and I agree they won't get you there. I also have the plexi and that might get you closer. Perhaps the JTM? That's what I would try next.

The JTM module with the mod listed on Grailtone will get that sort of tone.
Almost sounded like there was a little chorus on it to me as well...maybe not.
Anyways; the JTM with the mod is the BEST clean tone out of 'em all I think.

Have you guys tried the tweed? That definitely sounds like the low mid spank of the old bassman preamp. There's a ton of amps doing this sound. The old bassman circuit is the basis for the jtm Marshall stuff as well, so the JTM is another good alternative.

I've got all the modules with the exception of the UltraXL, and the Tweed can get close; but the modded JTM does it better.
More definition and sparkle than the tweed.

jimosity said:
The JTM module with the mod listed on Grailtone will get that sort of tone.
Almost sounded like there was a little chorus on it to me as well...maybe not.
Anyways; the JTM with the mod is the BEST clean tone out of 'em all I think.

By this mod you mean just changing the resistor?

jimosity said:
Yep.
Try it, it's awesome.
I'll definately do it when I get my amp..

Does anyone have samples of the clean sound of the JTM module? I'm debating if I should use that or a blackface...

Wow, this is bring up an old post. I ended up putting Suhr pickups (v60lp's) in my Anderson Drop Top, and got a LOT closer to the sound I was looking for. Works really well with the Top Boost module to get something in the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Blood Sugar Sex Magic) or SRV vein.

guitarguy510 said:
Your Andersons make me jealous Gary! :lol:

Thanks!! Andersons are my favorite guitars. I still want to get a Cobra.

Did you hear that Anderson is downsizing to just Tom?

Yeah and I'm pissed off about it too because now the prices on used ones will probably go up, the wait time will be longer and I probably won't have the chance to own one at a reasonable price! There's always Suhr, but I really wanted to try Anderson as one of my good friend's locally has two of them and says other than his Les Paul collection they are some of his favorite guitars. This guy is a fantastic player with a great ear for tone, so if he says Anderson guitars are good, I believe him! :D I know Tom is only doing it to keep things managable and enjoy his job which is great, just sucks that the result is lower production since it will be just him working on guitars. I guess the guitars might be even higher quality now that it's JUST him working on them? I LOOOOOOVE when it's a SINGLE luthier working on your guitar.... can't wait for my Thorn!!! :D :D :D

Wow, I didn't know that about Tom A. I used to have one and it was a fantastic guitar. One of my favorites, I'd like to get a classic. Are things that slow for them that he is cutting the staff or is it just a personal thing? Where did you here this news?