Please Help

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeOvThorns

Reaction score
I've had the Rm100m head for a few weeks now. I spent months researching various amps and decided I wanted to go Randall. It came with a clean module as well as a recto and Ultra, footswitch, cable, the works. The more time Ive spent with this amp the less I like it. I have been playing it completely dry for personal practice purposes. Im wondering if its the modules or the amp itself but I'm really starting to hate the thing. I dont know what to do. Im running it through an avatar 2x12 with vintage 30's at half power with two of the tubes pulled out.

Just wanted to get some feedback before I give up, throw thing on ebay and start looking for something else.

What exactly is bugging you? We'll need some specifics to give you our suggestions in helping you out.

There could be many issues, bad tubes (in head or modules), bias issue with power tubes - all depends on what is going on with it.

What exactly is it that you hate about it? If its the clean sound, Blackface is supposed to be a better clean tone so perhaps try that one. I own a Blackface module myself but I don't own the Clean module so I can't directly compare them. If its the distortion sound you're unhappy with, I like the XTC module best so far. Thats the beauty of this amp, don't like the tone? no problem, just pop in another module and try again :)
I never tried pulling any tubes and running at 1/2 power so I don't know if that changes much tonewise. I have run my RM 100 through ADA 2x12 cabs with Celestion speakers and it sounds great!

The amp just sounds like something is missing. the clean channel is fine. The ultra is average at best and the recto is god awful. It doesnt sound rich or full. Ive played through several tube amps and this one seems to be the closest to solid state. Its giving me a dull sound. Im not sure if its the tubes or even which ones I would have to replace. Its really a money issue because I already dropped 1000 on the head. I dont know if it would be worth the money spent to fix it.

dont be to quick to let it go. there is alot of good tones in this amp. perhaps the modules are the old models(do you see a black stripe and white letters?)
recto and ultra needs the cap mod and the clean need a mod also. invest in a 1086 and make sure your output tubes are in good order.

wrong modules man. Ultra and recto are way too bassy for some peoples tastes. And from what i heard the clean is sterile sounding

check out for the crunch 1086 or xtc
and for cleans the blackface.

also i found a sonic maximizer really brought out the distortion tones a ton on mine.

First off I want to thank you guys for the info. I am thinking of replacing the clean with a blackface, and the recto with an xtc. I wanted the xtc more for leads and im thinking of keeping the ultra for rhythm. Where and how do I go about getting the pre amps modded? Also I know nothing about changing or even buying the pre amp tubes so any and all suggestions are welcome.

perhaps the modules are the old models(do you see a black stripe and white letters?)

Yes all 3 of my modules have a black stripe at the top with white letters. So I would need to get all new modules?

Just one other tip that you've probably already messed with: when I first got my rm100 I didn't think it was all that awesome either but I started tinkering with the presence knob. When I use the ultra module it seems like I need the presence higher than other mods to get the right mix "that I like" at least. And tubes change sound quite a bit too. I had el34 at first then went to 6l6s. I must say the el34 had a better crunch tone I thought but the 6l6 defenitely have more low end. Don't give up though because this amp has tons to offer.

I went through the same thing your going through. Bought my RM100 and thought that it sounded pretty shitty for a tube head and was contiplating selling it as well. First thing I found out was that my power tubes were biased cold and at all different levels. All you have to do is go to Radio Shack and buy a cheap digital multimeter, they are like $15.00 or so. Turn the amp on and let the tubes warm up. Make sure all your volume levels are all down to zero on the modules and master and then flip the standby switch into play mode. Put your multimeter on the 2 DC setting and then insert the black test lead on the multimeter into the "common" ground input on the back of the amp. Each tube has a test point so check them one at a time inserting the red test lead into each test point. Take a small flat head screwdriver and adjust the bias setting at the bias adjust. Turn it left to lower the bias and right to raise the bias. You will need to find out what type of power tubes you are running in your head to know what to bias them at. I would imagine you either have 6L6's, EL34's, or E34L's. You can bias the 6L6's or EL34's at 38 millivolts. If it is running E34L's I would bias them at 45. I originally had JJ E34L's in mine and switched over to Groove Tube 6L6 GE's. I think they sound better and have better low end. I run them at 38mv. I would use all 4 power tubes. I think it sounds better and you can get plenty of distortion at low volumes. After adjusting my bias settings it made a HUGE difference.

The next thing I would check on the amp is your common input tube. If you look inside the amp head you will see 3 small aluminum cylinders on the left side. These are just covers and inside are 3 preamp tubes. The 2 in the back run your effects loop and the 1 towards the front is your common input tube. When you run a module the signal passes through this common tube first and then to your module so essentially you run 3 preamp tubes per channel......the common input tube and then the 2 preamp tubes in each module. When I first started messing around with switching out preamp tubes in my modules I bought some JJ High Gain ECC83S's. These made my amp sound dull and did not do much in the gain department so I replaced all my preamp tubes in my high gain modules to Electo Harmonix 12AX7's. This helped out alot and gave me more gain but I felt that it was still missing something. Then I read the RM100 manual and found out about the common input tube so I checked that and what do ya know, another JJ ECC83S. I switched that out for another EH 12AX7 and it made alot of difference. To check it all you have to do is push down on the aluminum cover and turn it to the right until it comes off. They are kinda a pain in the *** to get off but don't worry, your not gonna break anything. Check that and if it's a JJ ECC83S I would replace it with an EH 12AX7. They are only about $11.00 and there are several websites that sell all kinds of tubes so let us know if you need a link. I wouldn't worry about the effects loop tubes, they don't seem to effect the sound as much.

Now, on to the modules. Take that Clean module and get rid of it, it sucks ***. I had the Clean and it is terrible. You cannot get a useable volume out of it to compete with the high gain modules when switching channels without it sounding like total ****. Buy the Blackface, it is 100% better. You will love the clean tones it has. As for the high gain modules I think the most underrated module is the SL+. I had the XTC, and Ultra Lead and sold both of them. I A/B'd my SL+ with a 1086 and I think it sounds better than the 1086. I loaded my SL+ with Shuguang Silver Dragon preamp tubes and it absolutely screams. To me the artist modules are not worth the extra money especially when you can buy the original modules cheap on eBAY or here on the forum. I actually like the Recto module. You have the black stripe version so it has the .022 cap. I would swap that out for the .001 cap, it will tighten up your low end. This is a great module for the newer metal downtuned type tones. I use the EH 12AX7's in this module. You have to have some solder skills to switch out the capacitor but it is relatively easy to do. If you cannot handle this I'd be glad to do it for you. I bought a bunch of spare orange drop capacitors and have them handy. I could fix it up for you and turn around in 1 day. Just let me know.

I have been playing around with various modules and I don't have all of the MTS modules yet but I'm slowly trying to thanks to this forum and Ebay :) Anyway, out the ones I own I like the XTC for distortion and Blackface for clean sounds. I'm in an 80's cover band and those two modules cover 90% of my needs. Other modules I like which I recently acquired are Ultra XL, 1086, and to a lesser extent the SL+. But I could live with just XTC and Blackface :D
Modules which I expected a bit more out of were Ultra Lead and Brown. The Ultra Lead sounded too weak to me and Brown, while not a bad sounding module, didn't get close enough to the brown sound I was expecting. Brown is the only one that has a cap mod the rest are stock. Maybe I'll sit down with those modules again sometime and tweak them some more to see if I'm missing something.

I think a lot of us went through what you are experiencing. I came from the Marshall school, which if the one sound is all you need, you can't beat it! I play in 2 bands. One is a variety act of sorts...everything from Sweet Home Alabama to Brick House to My Own Worst Enemy (Lit)! For that band I use the RM50B w/ plexi and tweed modules. When I play w/my other group...a kind of ZZTop type band (3pce) I use the RM100M w/JJ EL 34 power through a Genz Benz GFlex cab w/Celestion Vintage 30's ...it is awesome! Again I use the Plexi/Tweed and add the SL+...all still Marshall flavors but w/so much more versatility. The trick for me was understanding the volume settings. I read somewhere that the master volume should always be up at least half way, which I do. The gain on the plexi is usually maxed or slightly down and I adjust the overall saturation with the level control. You just have to play with all of them and I sincerely believe that you can get almost anything you wish tone wise. Another point is, on the RM100M, I started out using the 3rd channel for leads, but switched to using a Zvex boost for solos through the Plexi. For some reason the midi foot switch seems to lag a bit whereas hitting the zvex was immediate. Use the channels as you would use different amps and add pedals for your color. Hope this helps...but experiment...don't give up...it is a really great head!

Trendkill thank you for the detailed breakdown. Ive decided to give it a shot
I bought the multimeter and im going to try to install the other two power tubes. I also plan on ordering all new tubes for the amp and could really use a link to a good website for this. Im still not sure if i want el34's or 6l6's for the power section but I will definitely try the 12ax7's for the pre-amp tubes.

Now I need to see if anyone on here wants a clean channel module so that I can get myself a Blackface and ill probably just buy the XTC. I do plan on using a boost and possibly an eq for leads so thanks for that butchieT, you saved me the trial and error and worrying about a seperate channel for my leads and I may just keep the ultra module in after all.

EdgeOvThorns said:
Trendkill thank you for the detailed breakdown. Ive decided to give it a shot
I bought the multimeter and im going to try to install the other two power tubes. I also plan on ordering all new tubes for the amp and could really use a link to a good website for this. Im still not sure if i want el34's or 6l6's for the power section but I will definitely try the 12ax7's for the pre-amp tubes.

Now I need to see if anyone on here wants a clean channel module so that I can get myself a Blackface and ill probably just buy the XTC. I do plan on using a boost and possibly an eq for leads so thanks for that butchieT, you saved me the trial and error and worrying about a seperate channel for my leads and I may just keep the ultra module in after all.

Cool man, you'll get it hooked up. On the tubes I guess it just depends on what kind of tone your looking for. I play metal myself and like alot of the 80's/90's thrash but also like to play the newer metal as well. For this reason I chose the 6L6 because it gives me a tight, deep bottom. One power tube in particular that I want to try out are the TAD 6L6GC-STR. They are supposed to sound real good for rock and metal tones. You can check em out at www.thetubestore.com. Another good site for tubes is www.boiaudioworks.com. Either one of these sights will probably have what your after. I was also reading up on preamp tubes today and the Tung-Sol 12AX7 is getting good reviews. Supposed to have the gain of a Chinese tube but the tone of a Mullard. They did a review on it at www.thetubestore.com with a bunch of other 12AX7 tubes, including the Electro Harmonix 12AX7, and it got the best ratings.