time has come!kh3 vs 1086

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintkilz

Reaction score
what should i use for a low tuned techy death metal tone? has to cut, be defined not flubby(will c3 swap if need be) with tone and clarity...

i sold my XTC to SacredGroove and have someone interested in buying my peavey combo amp, so that should put me up to where i need for a 1086 or Kh3...

what would you guys suggest?

Why isn't the Ultra XL included? Just wondering, can't really help as I haven't played the modules mentioned.

normally i'd say 1086 but you'll need the extra gain of the kh-3, if you use a boost you might want to go 1086 you wouldn't need it on the kh-3 plus its got alot more mids.

haven't heard the modded version, but i 'm guessing its gainier and maybe a little clearer but that just a mid thing on that module i think, if you go to like 11 o clock on the mids it'll sound plenty clear but with the sd-1 outfront it''l be clear and very brutal, you should be hard pressed to find a better metal tone than that. is your sd-1 modded ? cause stock they rob almost all of your bass and can be bright, hopefully mine comes back next week from getting the chaos mod. if it does what its soppose to it'll kill for boosting. tight, almost all of my low end will be back, and it'll be more powerful :twisted: until then my 808 does just fine, they are good right outta the box

not modded....but i dont think i lose that much bass...wouldnt mind it to get modded though....

This 1086 is going to Wipe the floor on the KH3. I owned them both.....and the modded 1086 crushes the KH3. 8)

well lookin forward to it..

im goin to radioshack tomorrow to get some caps and resistors to mod my sd-1 to 808 specs...

CANT WAIT FOR THIS MODULE!!!!!!!!!!

recording with it on the 19th is gonna be killer....i think itll be a killer tone...just hope i have enough time to decide wether or not to go v30 or t-75 or mix both for my tracks...with my treadplate of course.

use 2 mics, one on each speaker and i would use that 1086 panned center, the treadplate to the right and the xtc to the left, does your stock xtc sound like your modded treadplate but a little scoopier? mine does , imo they sound very similar but i give the xtc and edge, but again i'd only use it 808'd out front so the gain is quite a bit higher that way and sounds more metal to my ears, i think i may get it modded, it has great core tone

I feel you on that one... I didnt care for the tone of that XTC either. Too much bass and mids. Very dark sounding. Then when you "brightened" it up....it lost the distortion. :?

I'd say the 1086, unless your going to be doing lots of leads then I would go with the KH 3. I agree in considering the Ultra as well.

I prefer the KH3 to the 1086 but maybe if the 1086 was modded by Pete. Haven't heard one modded yet though. The KH3's EQ is pretty good IMO.

well..been awhile since i started this thread..

i actually own a Pete Modded 1086 now and love it....still want a KH3 though..

Pete's Modded 1086 is about as heavy and clear as it gets. I have another one that I will be shipping to him shortly.
I had the Egnater EG5 and the KH3........the Pete modded 1086 Smoked both of them. 8)
Just my 2 cents! :wink:

paintkilz said:

CLIPS!!!!!

I'm gonna have Pete mod my 1086 pretty soon, I wanna teaser clip! come on you know you wanna feed my GAS. :lol:

paintkilz said:

Your going to be let down.....like comparing a Corvette to a CHEVETTE!
hahah
Sorry....just having fun and these are my opinions only. But I did own them both at the same time and NO COMPARISON!! :twisted: