MTS Module as stand alone or preamp bypass?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kivitel

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Peavey deuce, which has the strange distinction of having a transistor preamp section and a large, powerful (120W) tube power amp section. It is basically Peavey's version of the Fender Twin. It has reverb and phaser effects. I paid $175 for it. It is very ugly, but sounds great clean and is loud enough to probably kill people.

The problem with this amp is that the distortion sucks, because the preamp is a transistor amp, and when overdriven clips.

I noticed that Randall made tube preamps modeled after various amps of historical importance. My question is this: Is there some mechanism in the Randall modules which would prevent me from bypassing my amp's pre-section with one of these modules?

Can the modules, as a last resort, be used as a stand-alone unit? I could also just run them before the built in preamp, but it would be best to bypass it altogether.

I noticed the rack unit had some sort of digital pin interface the preamps plugged into. I'm not sure if this complicates things.

No, you're best bet is getting the Randall RM4 preamp which allows up to four modules at once. You absolutely cannot use the modules without one of Randalls Preamps (either the RM4 or the built in RM100M, etc)