Serious volume question???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JACKSONGUITARDUDE

Reaction score
hey im new here i own a randall t2 and i run it into a basson 480w cab.
I dig the tone of my amp but the volume has always had me questioning it, ive read in other forums how loud these things are, but with volume at 12 o'clock it cant overpower a drummer(and this isnt even a really loud drummer). Now maybe im wrong but with so much wattage coming from the amp and the cab i thought this thing would be blowing drummers away at around 9 or 10 o'clock. So is this normal??
If not what can i do?? thanks.

Keep your channel levels around 10 o'clock or so and use your master vOlume to get up to stage volume....I was doing that with my V2 and that thing was stupidly loud...PA loud.

The T2 does not have a master. But still my T2 at 3/4 volume is like a peavey 5150 on 3. I just thought that these things should be a hell of alot louder with all the watts its supposed to be pumping.. half solid state or not.

Ok scratch that then lol....Next step I'd take is check your fx loop levels. Are they turned down? Tried turning them up? Check all the tubes as well. Try swapping them out one at a time with a known good tube. Check all cables including the speaker cable...grab the cables and flex them with both hands across the entire length of the cable. Are you using any pedals? Check the batteries if you are, when my NS-2 batter gets week I lose 75% of my volume at least.

Bottom line is look at EVERY aspect of your signal chain.....from pickups, all guitar wiring/pots/jacks, cables, pedals/batteries, tubes, ect. That amp should be beastly loud man...something is amiss somewhere. Check EVERYTHING! Then get in touch with Randall if everything checks out good.

Just to confirm your expectations, these things are bloody loud. If any of the valves go though, you will lose all meat and any proper volume, as Rich has said, check eeeeeeverything!

Also...what ohm value is your cab? Randall shows these heads running at 500 watts at 2 ohms, 400 watts at 4 ohms, & 280 watts at 8 ohms. You might not be running at full power depending on how many ohms your cab is. If it's 16 ohms then you are running even less than 280 watts. Just a suggestion I thought I might mention.