RM50LB Vs. RM50B Heads will roll!!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RD/Rich

Reaction score
IMG_0447.jpg

OK, heads probably won't roll, but this was interesting. First off, the one thing I noticed right away was that side by side the RM50LB is about an inch or so TALLER than it's "not as cool looking" brother. All of the other dimensions were the same and I think this is to allow room for the logo (ahem, ? 13 anyone?). Other differences were obviously the JJE34L's in the LB instead of JJ6L6's, and the Eminence Super V speaker, instead of the stock Celestion GT-75. I am not really a fan of either speaker or power tube in the LB (sorry) HOWEVER, the combination in this amp really does work well together. With a KH1 for clean and Mr. Scary for dirty I was able to get some really great sounds. I didn't notice any of the really anoying (to my ear anyway) upper midrange that EL34's usually have and if anything the tone seemed a bit smoother sounding. I think the RM50B has a little more brighter higher end, but the LB has great upper mid presence that isn't like a buzz saw.

So is the amp worth $169 more....forgetting the aesthetics and the fact that you may or may not be a Lynch fan: Maybe. The Super V is +/- the same price as the stock GT-75 depending on where you look so that can't really be considered in the price, but it shouldn't be discounted because of tone. I know that I have seen quite a few post here about guys wanting a different speaker in the RM50B because they weren't fans of the GT-75, here's your chance to get that different speaker. I really think that the Super V is a great fit for this combo and once it's broken in a bit it's going to sound just a bit sweeter. The Lynch chassis have a boost in the upper mids which make them different from any stock MTS amp which is great if you are more of a vintage amp fan. I also had a chance to play this amp with a cranked up Brahma, and with and overdrive pedal in the front, I could have enough options to play a whole nights set. I'm a bit more of a metal guy, but I could rock this amp in a cover band any day of the week.

thanks for that Rich. i played through them and thought they sounded "bigger" than the other combos. (even the rm100c) being the tone menace that i am...i tried it with some eh 6ca7's and a friedman modded brahma and it was old school vh with a dab more saturation.

hail lynch! :twisted:

Since we are the only two people in this post :lol: I'm really starting to come around on these Lynch modules man. I was showing a guy an RM100 yesterday and after he was done, I popped in a Super V and a Brahma. I could sooooooooooo play those to modules all day long.

I'm thinking of picking up an N4 Vintage. The rock sauce that guitar brings is undeniable. :twisted:

throw a different pickup in the bridge and you got a keeper there. digging the hell out of my ss100...well...that and my n3. the n3 could be the best playing and feeling guitar we have built to date. jon did himself well.

dude...i wish you were here to play my amp. the friedman modded brahma and this sick a$$ grail i have...they slay me beyond belief. i think the lynch modules and the kh modules were done very well...and the ones i always go back to.

for giggles...try this...bias the amp (6L6) to 30ma. i have been getting some sick tone doing that. hot is cool...but it mushes things up for me. 30ma and i get tight, warm, ballzy sounds. more 5150-ish i guess and after playing them for so long...it makes sense that i would dig "under biasing" a little like they were.

throw a different pickup in the bridge and you got a keeper there. digging the hell out of my ss100...well...that and my n3. the n3 could be the best playing and feeling guitar we have built to date. jon did himself well.

I agree... I owned two N4's an origonal swamp ash serial # 312 and a 06 Padauk. Great guitars... ya gotta love the Stevens Extended Cutaway.
Nuno gets cool tones but the Lawrence L500 is a very bright and thin but has great clarity... pickup. The body shape and neck profile make it a killer player... cool biasing is also well cool... LOL 5150 came biased pretty cool from the PV factory... good ear Steve.

You guys are killing me with the friedman mod... i may just have to go and get it done... but i love the Brahma as is... that friedman/lynch video is slaying me too... I need some of those tubes... sound like Tung Sols to me.

I have to say... I have not surpassed the tonal bliss I get from the Lynch Box... it's a killer sounding rig.

Cheers
Craig

I bet I can get pretty close to that lynch tone with a JAN5751 in v1 and a Tung Sol in v2....I wonder what power tubes George uses?

..the Friedman mod has a *lot* of changes from the stock module..was surprised when I got it.

Was rocking my N4 through it earlier :twisted:

My Lynch Box Combo arrived! Not sure if I'll get time to play it much today. Have a golf tournament in 50 degree weather :roll: . Going to throw in the Grail and Super V first. Thanks to the Funky guys for getting it to me quickly! (lost one day because UPS required a sig and I wasn't home...)....

Man.......now you guys got me wanting a N4!!! I owned one of the first runs about 10 years back.
Loved it....but like all my gear.....I sold it to buy something else! :D
I have a custom J Frog and a Killer Prime(Akira Takasaki/Loudness) model that I use mostly these days.
But adding a N4 would make my day! 8)

They rule man for sure man. Even when I was at Washburn I didn't really get a chance to sit down and play one, but now that I'm here and Jon is such a Nuno fan, it's almost required you play an N4 at least once a day :lol: I love Strats and I these are pretty killer. I love the unfinished neck and how it feels how its been played in. Also, I'm a skinny dude and I like how the body is a little bit smaller.

We have just about one of everything and a few cool custom one-offs and limited runs. If anyone from the forum is looking for one, just shoot me a PM.

Picture002.jpg

This one was built for George for a clinic, and he signed it, and I was fortunate enough to buy it. Now I see these new combos, and they're different, and I think, huh, might I have the only combo ever made like this? And wouldn't that be cool?

But it's not stock. I sent the modules and the amp to Dave Friedman when I bought it, and he modded it a bit - new JTM45 MM OT, 6L6 tubes, and other tweaks as per Dave's discretion.

I think it is a very big sounding 1x12.