good preamp tubes for 1086?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintkilz

Reaction score
what would you guys recommend for my pete mod 1086..

ive always read that the JJECC83 are great, but they tend to be dark...so im not too sure about that..might not be that bad really, as that can be EQed to fix it.......the love for a pete mod..super versatile..

lookin for clarity, gain, tight.

ECC83?

12AX7?

EH? Sovtek? GT? JJ? Random *** Chinese..

EH if you want to have more sizzle and bite to the mids. I had the JJ in there but went back to the EH because they're just a little dirtier.
If you want clear clarity, Tung Sol is good for that. I have those in my clean module, the Deluxe.

I'm kinda going through the same thing right now.

Tung-Sols are nice but don't feel dirty enough.

JJs are too dark.

EH is alright but still not what I'm looking for.

Currently I'm using a Tung on the left and JJ and the right and so far thats my favorite.

Either both Tung Sol or if you think that's too 'polite'

TS v1, high gain c9 v2 or TS v1 and EH v2.

I recently swapped out the v2 JJ(stock) for an EH and i am very hapy with the results. A bit more "grindy" if you know what i mean

JKD said:
Either both Tung Sol or if you think that's too 'polite'

TS v1, high gain c9 v2 or TS v1 and EH v2.

JKD nailed it. This is what I'm going with on all my hi-gainers. You want v1 to be your best "signal or quality" tube and then drive the signal with the v2 tube.

I'm going Tung's in v1 and then driving the hell out of it with c8\c9. I actually purchased o couple of the Penta 12AX7 as it is made exclusively by Shuguang for Penta labs. It's a c8\c9 "select" tube = better quality....but exact same tonal characteristics as the chinese.

Pedro

Well I was reading this thread and the Brahma didn't have quite enough grit for me, so I happened to have a Tung Sol 12AX7 reissue and a Shuguang ECC83 (white labeled Marshall) and dropped them in. The TS in V1 and the Shuguang in V2. I was very pleasantly surprised. I hated the Shuguangs in the Marshall JVM, but luckily I kept a couple of the preamp tubes from that amp that I'd replaced with JJs. The JJs were a bit too meek for the Brahma.

I might be able to put off that SL+ a while now since I have to because I needed to have a PC built.

Great thread. Can anyone confirm EXACTLY what V1 and V2 do?

Is V2 really a drive tube, or is it for the tone stack, or ???

I've always pondered this and could never get a clear cut answer.