RM50B/TopBoost recording

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryMcT

Reaction score
Trying to get the SRV-ish tone here. . .trying to figure out how to record guitar at the same time. :)

Here's an RM50B with a TopBoost module recorded with an SM57 played on an Anderson Drop Top with neck and middle SA1 stacked singles (split). The playing is sloppy. . just trying to get the tone and recording down:

http://home.comcast.net/~g.mctaggart/sm57_verb_normalized.mp3

Sounds pretty sweet to me. If your really trying for SRV tone the Black Face may get you closer but I really like the sound your getting now. Got a really nice edge to it.

I've been able to get a good Los Lonely Boys (think Crazy Dream esp.) tone out of my 1086 with the volume knob turned down on my guitar funny enough! Might be able to pull the SRV tone too! I agree with Ned that maybe the blackface (or tweed? I haven't tried that one yet...) might work better for an SRV application?

It makes sense to get a good Los Lonely boys tone from a 1086 because henry Garza uses a JCM800 as one of his amps and the 1086 is supposed to be in that tonal range on some settings.

I would try the Blackface with a Tubescreamer in front or, as Randall suggests for a good SRV tone, the Tweed module.

I think the Top Boost module sounds WAY BETTER with the clean and traditional mods done. The clip sounds pretty good but it is a little too chimey and the preamp break-up is a little too buzzy for my taste or for a texas style tone.

I love the SRV/LLB tones too!