Few questions regarding RM4, RT2/50 and modular design

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangoux

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and to the modular pre-amps world. I currently have a Soldano SLO-100 copy, which is fine but lacks a firm low end response, and it's hi-mids are too all over the place, mostly for recording. So I was doing some research on some amps I was interested : The Dual Rectifier and the Rivera K-tre. However, I had many doubts and was not so sure if any of them would be the right choice, as i hear the Rectifier line has ONE SOUND (and maybe the rectified tone i am used to listen is more of a product of tracks stacking than the result of the amp tone itself) and that the Rivera might be a little fizzy and not modern enough/too marshall like.

So, someone told me to look at the Randall MTS line. At first I was a little skeptical, because those so-versatile-amps usually gives too much of an average tone, and because i associated Randall with the Pantera sound, something i dont like. However, after reading a lot about the system, and listening to some samples, i became very interested on the RM4 / RT2/50 combo, with any clean module, a XTC, a 1086 and a Egnater h-gain module (and then maybe a plexi or something for variation). So I have a few questions regarding the system:

1) How much the RM4 + RT2/50 weights? I had a 5150 combo which weighted a TON and sold it because i became so annoyed with the weight. I have a herniated discon my back, and it was very unpleasing to carry the thing to a gig, not having the sound i really wanted and going home with a back pain.

2) Is it possible to route each channel of the RM4 to a given tube pair on the RT2/50 ? I mean, if i have those 4 channels on the RM4, can I ramdonly chose them to whatever tubes I like and then route them all to my 2x12 cab?

3) I have a 2x12, which is smaller than a Marshall 1936, and loaded with Eminence GOvernors. Would it be a good match for this system?

4) How does the MIDI system works ? Just assign whatever to each channel and I would be ready to go ? It works only with MIDI or Randall includes a footswitch with it ? Would i be able to hook it to a controller, like the Ground Control, or a TC electronics G-System?

5) Besides the option of routing the channels to whatever tube i like, is there any other advantages of having the Rack-mount system instead of a RM100 head ?

I'd be buying it, or whatever amp, blindly, as I live in the Northern region o Brazil, and if on the bigger cities it's already tough to test good gear, on the North, it's next to impossible to do that.

For now, those are my questions. In advance, I thank y'all for your replies.

Ivan Jangoux

1) How much the RM4 + RT2/50 weights? I had a 5150 combo which weighted a TON and sold it because i became so annoyed with the weight. I have a herniated discon my back, and it was very unpleasing to carry the thing to a gig, not having the sound i really wanted and going home with a back pain.

The RT2/50 weights a ton, the RM4 is not bad. I got rid of my RT2/50 because of the weight for the same reasons.

2) Is it possible to route each channel of the RM4 to a given tube pair on the RT2/50 ? I mean, if i have those 4 channels on the RM4, can I ramdonly chose them to whatever tubes I like and then route them all to my 2x12 cab?

Yes. You could even route the channel/tube combo to a different speaker cab if you wanted.

3) I have a 2x12, which is smaller than a Marshall 1936, and loaded with Eminence GOvernors. Would it be a good match for this system?

Don't know. You can always change the speakers.

4) How does the MIDI system works ? Just assign whatever to each channel and I would be ready to go ? It works only with MIDI or Randall includes a footswitch with it ? Would i be able to hook it to a controller, like the Ground Control, or a TC electronics G-System?

It's midi so any midi controller would work.

5) Besides the option of routing the channels to whatever tube i like, is there any other advantages of having the Rack-mount system instead of a RM100 head ?

RM4 gives you 1 extra channel.

Thanks for the reply...I have a few more questions...

ned said:
The RT2/50 weights a ton, the RM4 is not bad. I got rid of my RT2/50 because of the weight for the same reasons.

More than a head ? I can handle between 50 to 60lb without my back complaining. More than that, I think it would be wiser for me to get the head version.

Don't know. You can always change the speakers.

Not quite in brazil. A V30 here costs more than $300...Anyway, those speakers are compared to V30s. Anyone here uses the RT2 or the RM100 with V30s?

I've listened to some samples someone at this forum recorded and the amp sounds great. I really really liked the 1086 and Rectifier modules, and maybe the XTC, to a lesser degree. The amp sounds really heavy and the distortions sound tight and dry, which are my mais complaints about my amp, which sounds all over the place. Even the Plexi setting sounded tighter and dryer than my amp. but as the guy who recorded it said, the 1086 sounds a lot like a Recto on some settings, and this module and the recto itself were the ones i like the most. I saw a few user signatures while reading some posts and noticed a few users have a RM100 or RM4 AND a Rectifier. How do you compare those amps, quality-wise. Do any of them sounds like it's a higher-level amp or are they compared? I am a little affraid the RM100 does a lot of good things and none of them are great. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone used the RM100 with KT77s ? As if it's not selectable to use EL34s or 6L6, i guess using KT77 would cover both grounds, with the punch of EL34s and the warmth of the 6L6. Anyone experienced that?

Sorry for all those questions, but i am trying to cover all my doubts to try to make it less risky buying something blindly. [/quote]

I could not lift my rack with RM4, RT2/50 and a Rocktron Multivalve by myself. I could have split the rack in 2 with just the RT2/50 by itself but decided to just use my RM50 head. My new rack has a Mesa 20/20 which weighs in a 14lbs.

The RT2/50 sounds really nice and the flexibility is really wonderful.