Anyone done mods to the SL2 mids??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mod50nc

Reaction score
There's a bit too much nasality for me. If I can get the mids closer to my Jubilee Marshall, that's my goal.

The Jub mids sound more even overall. The Mod50 SL2 has a spike in there somewhere that I'd like to remove/smooth over.

I have an MHG too. THe SL2 is closer to my ultimate high gain tones, so the MHG will go up for sale. I think I'll try a Mr Scary and also an XTC.

(The Randall modules do work in the Egnater MODs, correct?) But only with 1 channel of course.....

mod50nc said:
The Jub mids sound more even overall. The Mod50 SL2 has a spike in there somewhere that I'd like to remove/smooth over.

The SL2 module is based on the Marshall Super Lead amp and thus will differ in tone from that of the Jubilee. You can Mod your SL2 to sound similiar to that of the Jubilee, but it will be a good amount of work.
The Tone Stack structure is different and the Jubilee uses Diodes in various parts of the Gain stages to allow for that Diode Clipping sound.

FM

The Jub's have diode clipping. But considering they are one of the all-time most popular Marshall heads, I don't think most people care that much.

Well, the SL2 sounds too honky for a Superlead as well. All Marshalls have that characteristic honk, but I'd bet if I were looking at the signal on a scope, the curve would be rather smooth. The SL2 has a certain mid frequency that's spiking, according to my ears.

...did you purchase this SL2 module new or used.? if used,it may have had the "mids"-circuit mod done to it to increase the mid hump/add cutting midrange,as per the information on the grailtone website "module modification" page???

What is your poweramp.. do you play it with EL34 types of tube or 6L6.
IMO SL2 channel A= best marshall tone ever.Especially with EL34 type power amps..
However there's different tastes in sound of course.
My settings in SL2 channel A are usually Gain at 11.00,Bass at 9-10.00,Middle at 15.00 and treble at 12.00. Bright switch ON, Bass boost ON (sometimes off).

Better than JCM800 head that I had.

edit: EG3/4 module the first channel eg3 is pretty marshall sounding to my ears. It has not so much upper midrange crunch as SL2.. it's smoother and different sounding. You might like that also.