Top Boost Module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy510

Reaction score
So I know there are a lot of top boost lovers around here, is it THE most versatile preamp module? I am digging my 1086 with my PRS right now. I kept the stock PRS volume pot with the little cap attached when I added the RS kit and Manlius pickups, so when I roll the volume down even with the high gain on the 1086, I can get clean/bluesy/funk tones still! I was wondering how the gain work on the top boost and what the cleans are like? Chimey I would bet? I've heard clips but it's hard to tell if there were effects added or not. I know Gary McT loves it, I was really diggin his STP clip with it... good stuff! :) Anyone else on how it sounds/works? Thanks guys! Can't wait to get my Plexi.... might be selling some of my high gain stuff so I can get some happy middleground! I will be using the RM4 soon and I think my setup might be Blackface, TopBoost, Plexi, 1086. :D

To get the Top Boost to be chimey you need to do the "wimpy" mod. I love mine, it sounds great with pedals and is what I use for 80% of our set list.

What's the difference in tone (both clean and with gain added) in the normal module versus the "wimpy" mod? How would you compare the sounds you can get out of the modules without the mod and with the mod, i.e. does one way make the module more versatile? Thanks Ned, I forgot you told me about the Top Boost before liking pedals! :wink: I'm definately picking one up as soon as I sell some stuff and pick up my RT2/50, just curious in advance what the benefits of keeping it stock would be, or if modding it works too!

Go to the main site here (www.grailtone.com) and I check out the mod articles for MTS modules - there is a pre/post mod sound clip for the Top Boost.

Ned,

I will check them out when I get home. I'm at work right now and can't really listen to the clips unfortunately. :( Thanks though! The basic difference then for the wimpy mod is it won't have as much gain? Does it affect how well it takes pedals? Thanks again!

Right, the mod reduces the gain. The original top boost module was designed as a modded AC30 - thinkg AC30 with a Tube Screamer.

I never used the unmodded TB in a band setting or with pedals. The modded TB takes pedals incredibly well.

I may have to mod my TopBoost module. It sounded WAY too compressed at practice the other night. I need to make sure that it isn't the power stage that is getting super compressed. . .need to get a HotPlate so that I can this stuff at home!

I did the wimpy mod, and if I recall a few other things Bruce recommended. I felt it was too compressed and broke up too easily. It solved that problem. The ONLY thing is that afterteh mod I need to crank the output a little to compensate. Put a boost pedal in front of it and all the gain is back. A little differrent sure, but at least close enough for me.

I nominate Randall to make a top boost mkII with a switchable gain mod, like the 1086. Of course, in ADDITION to the bright switch.

Hey guys,

I broke down and decided to just go ahead and buy a new topboost module. I plan on doing the mod suggested on the grailtone website and just had a couple questions. It says to cut the C7 and C13 parts out. Can you heat the solder and just pull those two parts out, or is it better to clip the two pieces with wire cutters? It also says "R7 change from No Part to 100K Ohms (1/4 watt)," does it matter if you use carbon-film or metal-film resistors for that part? Also, since I've always had someone else do the modding on my modules for me, how do you remove the bottom plate? Does it just unscrew, or do you have to do something special to remove it? Thanks! :D

Bottom plate unscrews.

Just use wire cutters on the C7and C13.

Not sure I've ever seen an option on resistors.

The new Super V is supposed to be really clean and chimey. Can't wait to try that one.

I have done the mods on my Top Boost module. It made the difference between throwing it away because it sounded awful to having it be my most played module. I love it now! It is great with pedals. There is a volume/gain drop when the mods are done but turn up your amp or use a clean boost. More of a vintage Vox chime whereas the original Top Boost was very buzzy with too much gain.

modify...as in change some of the parts on the PC board of the module to make it sound better.

Do you need to do it on those cause i heard the new modules they make they fixed the problem or something or is this just a preference thing.
devin

muskpsmesane said:
Do you need to do it on those cause i heard the new modules they make they fixed the problem or something or is this just a preference thing.
devin

I'm pretty sure they haven't modified the TopBoost design. It's meant to be higher gain than a real vox from what I've heard.

The Top Boost is actual an AC30 with a Tube Screamer in front. If you want to get closer to an actual AC30 you need the mod.

The new Lynch module may be closer to the actual AC30 than the Top Boost.