Recto module can't seem to keep a name....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy510

Reaction score
Hahaha I looked at the Randall website today, and apparently they are changing the name of the Recto module AGAIN! It started out life as the "Recto" module, then went to "Rectified" not long ago.... now it's... "Treadplate" ! :roll: Is Mesa after Randall or something? Plus, last I checked, Line 6 already had an amp "model" named treadplate, I wonder if Randall would have to change it again if Line 6 saw that? :? :shock:

If you go to Mesa's site, you'll find all of those words are restricted - I don't know if Mesa's instigating the changes or if Randall's lawyers are keeping them out of trouble.

I don't think Line 6 trademarked the Treadplate name.

Hey, great, now I can boast I have a vintage "pre-lawsuit" Recto module.

That should double the resale value. :roll:

maybe randall is trying to disown the origional recto. without any mods this module really sucks.

Tube Head said:
maybe randall is trying to disown the origional recto. without any mods this module really sucks.

That's a good idea, a good alternative reason.

If the reason is that Mesa/Boogie are suing companies for using the word "Rectifier", then I think that's silly. The story behind the "recto" name is that Boogie offered two types of power RECTIFIERS (valve or solid-state diodes) in their amps! Each power rectifier handles the headroom differently. Dual Recto has two, Triple Recto has three.

What, are they gonna patent the word "tube" next? Come on Mesa...... :roll:

petejt said:
Tube Head said:

That's a good idea, a good alternative reason.

If the reason is that Mesa/Boogie are suing companies for using the word "Rectifier", then I think that's silly. The story behind the "recto" name is that Boogie offered two types of power RECTIFIERS (valve or solid-state diodes) in their amps! Each power rectifier handles the headroom differently. Dual Recto has two, Triple Recto has three.

What, are they gonna patent the word "tube" next? Come on Mesa...... :roll:

They didn't patent the name Rectifier - it's the name of their amplifier line and is therefore trademarked and restricted. If you don't trademark these things, you risk having other companies spoil the reputation of your very own product. In other words, if Line 6 or Randall make a crappy Rectifier module, they can make Mesa's entire line look bad.

The story behind the Dual and Triple Rectifier doesn't really relate to this in any way at all. Fact of the matter is that the word Recto is followed by a TM or an R and so is the word Rectifier. If you read the fine print, Mesa says only when used to describe an amplifier MODEL name is it restricted...which is completely legitimate. Fender and Marshall don't allow you to use their model names so why should Mesa?

And in the long run, this is all about each companies' lawyers watching out for the best interest of the company...whether you like it or not, that's their job.