Brahma - Range of gain and tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinozoku

Reaction score
I can't find any to try around here, so I thought I'd ask, how clean can the Brahma get, especially when boosted?

I was wondering if I could essentially roll my volume off to get a nice Pink Floyd clean, then crank the volume on my guitar for the overdrive (I'll be using a Strat for when I do this, so don't look at my sig and freak out ;))

On top of that, I've been trying to find a module to help nail the older Alexi Laiho tone (from "To Hell and Back" in Singery, and "Follow the Reaper" in Children of Bodom, specifically the song "Northern Comfort"). With proper EQing and a boost from an EQ pedal, do any of you think the Brahma could achieve this? I know it's a wide range of tones to ask for from one module, but considering I'd be going from Strat single coils and no boost on one, to a high powered humbucker and a boost to the other one, I thought it might not be that hard.

Lastly, to achieve said range of sounds, should I find a modded Brahma? Or should I just get a Mr. Scary for the Bodom/Singery tones?

Yes - you can easily nail an awesome clean tone with the gain set medium and then crank for overdrive. The Brahma is perfect for this.

As far as the metal tones...I'd say yes to that too...but you would really have to use 'proper EQ and Boost' as you said.

Really, the Brahma is one versatile module. It is exceptionally clear but badass.

kriswatts said:
Yes - you can easily nail an awesome clean tone with the gain set medium and then crank for overdrive. The Brahma is perfect for this.

As far as the metal tones...I'd say yes to that too...but you would really have to use 'proper EQ and Boost' as you said.

Really, the Brahma is one versatile module. It is exceptionally clear but badass.
Excellent, now we're getting somewhere! :D

So, would a boost from an EQ pedal on the Brahma for the metal tones be preferable to the boost from an overdrive? I know an ODD can add a bit more actual drive to it while boosting some high mids and the level, but the graphic EQ allows more tonal flexibility, just without that little gain knob. Also, how would a line booster like the EHX Nano LPB-1 do?(sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, but it is in relation to the Brahma's reaction to said pedals).

Does the Brahma have enough gain behind it in the higher ranges to make up for that?

I boost my brahma with a tubescreamer ts-9 and it sounds awesome. Then i can also get a very clear clean sound out of it as well just by rolling off the volume on my guitar. Its my favourite module by far.

Brahma is the best module I think I have versatility wise out of all the Lynch mods. I've got all 4 un modded.

Brahma can do really heavy rocking metal sounds with a good OD up front, and it can also get pretty sparkly clean with some single coils and the gain at 10ish.

Of course it does the classic marshall crunchy stuff very well with no problem what so ever!

EVH kind of sounds aren't hard to dial in either.

Dallas

At the risk of being totally redundant...this has been covered many times on the forum...

...and everyone has a favorite boost...

I like the Boss Blues Driver with the Brahma.

I like the Super V best with a distortion box (MXR CLASSIC!)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys! I was asking about the EHX line booster though, because I probably won't really have a need for more overdrive if a clean boost can do what I'm trying to achieve (although after finding a pic of Alexi Laiho's settings on his JCM 800 KK sig, I got REALLY close with my SL+, and should get closer once I get the mod done right). I mean, people usually just turn the gain on their pedals off and just use the tone and level knobs anyway, so I figured I could save some bones and keep it simple with a regular clean boost.

So anyone just tried a simple clean boost pedal with this module?

I too have great success rolling off the volume of the Brahma for some killer cleans! It responds just like it should... the top end does not get shaved off guitars that hve a seperate tone control... I find that gtr's with only a vol control like the ESP Kamikaze IV I own... the top end gets reduced but then it's a cool warm clean... bonus either way.