Randall Rg100es XP?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
death8350 said:
I just bought a Randall RG100ES XP for a 100 bucks!!!! What does XP mean?

I don't know what the XP means, but I've owned this head since 93 or 94. The only thing I can tell is that there's a "sustain boost" switch on the front that the original RG100ES didn't have.

Of course I need the schematics for this particular head since the damned thing is not working correctly.

The only difference between the RG100ES and the RG100ES XP series is that the sustain boost is a switch on the XP and you have to pull the treble knob on the red channel on the non XP (a switch vs pull knob). The are otherwise identical.

From what I read about it, the XP has a switch that when turned on does not lose as much volume as the non XP units do when pulling the tone knob for added compression.

I want to find out how I can modify the RG80 I have to not lower the volume with the tone knob pulled. I hear all I need to do is put an eq in the loop and/or a boost pedal up front and it will do it, but I would like to mod it inside if I can find out how to do it right...

I can attest, since I have had the RG100ES XP Series since 1989, that when you click the sustain boost switch, the volume goes down just like in the RG100ES. There is a rare device called the Randall XP-3 Block Booster that when connected to the amp, will give you the same volume with all the extra crunch. They are extremely rare and go for about $150 bucks when one shows up on ebay or a vintage guitar store.

XP3.jpg

Do you own one of the XP3 blocks. Im bring to find someone with one I can get a Picture of the inside. I know there is nothing more than a Cap, Resistor and a LED in it. I have one someone took apart and want to put it back together.