Intro post

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
I have just ordered the RM100LBB. I've read the posts on the forum, but I've got some questions before the amp arrives. I'm currently using a 5150 II through two Avatar 212 Contemporary (Orange Amps design clone) each loaded with a V-30 and Greenback making a X pattern when stacked. I'm dealing with the speaker beaming issue with acoustic foam so I can get off axis sound to more closely approximate on axis.

I know GL has played a very heavily modded Plexi during the early 80s then moved on to a SLO, then later to Bogner and Diezel, but seems to return to the SLO. Currently playing Randall.

With the Super V being the Vox-like sound, where do the Brahma, Grail, and Mr. Scary fit in?

I'm guessing the Brahma is the hot-rodded Plexi, the Mr. Scary being a blend of his later Plexi and SLO, or am I off base? Where does the Grail fit?

Do I need the JTM module for Marshall-type clean?

I'm used to mid-rangy amps. I'm really hoping one of these modules gives very close to the SLO or Hot Rod 50+ sound. I also read here there are people who can mod them to do so. Thanks.

Julia said:
I have just ordered the RM100LBB.
Welcome to the club!

Julia said:
I'm guessing the Brahma is the hot-rodded Plexi,
Correct.

Julia said:
the Mr. Scary being a blend of his later Plexi and SLO,
Correct.

Julia said:
Where does the Grail fit?
It's a Lynch-voiced Rectified amp.

Julia said:
Do I need the JTM module for Marshall-type clean?
Lynch explained that the SuperV was created for his clean tone, but given the lack of visibility the JTM seems to get, but the tones it can produce, I think JTM would be a fine module to use for a Lynch clean.

http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm has a nice sounding JTM track.

Those are some good sound samples. Yes, that JTM sounds like what I was hoping it would. It's basically going to be my clean/Malcolm/Angus channel.

The Brahma was what I was thinking. With the treble up the Mr. Scary had more Marshally sound, but with the treble down sounded more Soldano-like.

It looks like I got what I wanted for starters. I may look to get the 1086 or XTC in a few months, but I think the Grail can cover a good part of it.

The thing that's really great about these amps is that if you don't care for one of the channels, you can change it. Between this an my 5150 II I'm set. :D

WELCOME JULIA!!!

THE RANDALL RM100 is the single most flexible amp I have ever owned by far.

You will find that the tonal varieties are endless, in all module type, modifications, tube types the list goes on and on.

I almost sold my RM100 at on point and Im so happy I did not, at that point I was unsure of the sound I was looking for, well I had all the wrong modules and the worng tubes, but a couple bucks later and a ton of help from the forumites here and baam I have tone that make most of my fellow guitarist friends jelous, but there still playing with there Triple Recs and TSL100s, and 5150s while I have an RM100 that can match, outplay, repeat all of those tones.

Enjoy and Welcome.

TheHunter.

After reading the threads on the weight of this beast (70# w/o modules :shock:), it may unfortunately remain in my studio for recording use unless I can find some minions to do the lifting, not that that's a bad thing either. Reamping possibilities are endless and not digital. I might have to break down and get a Mic Eliminator some day, but we'll see.

The thing about this amp is you only have to check hospital emergency wards for hernia patients if it is ever stolen.

I assume the weight is primarily due to a beefy enough OT to handle EL34s through KT88s. That's a lot of plate voltage. (when you hang around techs for a while you get to learn the buzz words). Also I'm one of those players who to quote a famous player likes to just plug in and "floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk."