cts surgery

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khingpynn

Reaction score
had it on my rt hand last thurs and on jan 5 the left will be done... some down time but hopefully i'll be better off in the long run.

Hope all goes well. I think I'm starting to have wrist problems now as I shut the door on my 20's. All that free living you do as a kid really starts to catch up with you sometimes. I had a doctor tell me (After seeing an xray of my foot and finding a healed fracture) "You won't start feeling that until your 40's" Gee, thanks.

fwiw,
think this stuff through carefully. Surgery might be right for some..but not right for others.
I know many doctors...most are extremely cynical. Its not uncommon for them to be pessimistic...example: regarding about your wrists ("you'll start feeling that when your 40"...) pa-leeeze.
I suppose some people would rather have their physicians be conservative and pessimistic in evaluating a patient's outcome. But as for me, dealing with a negative person is always harder.
And if we're talking about our hands here..I would prefer they give me the facts with no spin. There is data...lets hear what it is...lets all decide from that, instead some fear-based decision-making.
its just my opinion, but I felt a need to share.

Wow. Not fun. All the best for your recovery!!!

I had two bad motorcycle accidents in 2001 (Yamaha R1). First one I was hit head on by this idiot lady that crossed the double yellow in a sweeping curve. RIght hand separated from arm at the wrist (hand was hanging by tendons, skin, etc.. snapped backward), and left hand had three breaks, one just befoe the pinky joint at the hand. Took years to recover what I have. Right hand has CTS, but no way will I let them inside again. Exercise has helped immensely.

BTW- just into my 40's, and arthritis has not fully set in, but all the breaks I have had HURT. Granted, mine is a severe case, and like my Mom, my thumb joints are goin first. Once again, I have opted for therapy over surgery, and so far so good. Not to say surgery is always bad! I had a second surgery on my reconstructed knee after that accident, and until I ended up a paraplegic, that surgery was definitely worth it.

Good luck, and speedy recovery!!!

Thanks for the kind words and sharing opinions I appreciate it... surgery was a last resort... all the other methods did not help. I waited and weighed the consequences.

I certainly would not advise anyone to seek out surgery first... it was however a very painless and comfortable proceedure. About 15 minutes from cut to stich.

Speaking of problems down the road...

When I was 22, I was racing down a staircase (my friend & I were competeing) and I slipped on a wet spot.
I did a backflip and landed on my feet, but my feet hit kinda funny and the next day I had what the doctor said was, "The worst sprained ankle he'd ever seen".
He gave me the option to either break it right now and reset it (didn't sound good to me) or wear an air cast for 6-8 weeks, then put up with a recurring pain the rest of my life. (yeah, that sounded better)

Aw crap!
My ankle is hurting again.

GtrGeorge! said:
fwiw,
think this stuff through carefully. Surgery might be right for some..but not right for others.
I know many doctors...most are extremely cynical. Its not uncommon for them to be pessimistic...example: regarding about your wrists ("you'll start feeling that when your 40"...) pa-leeeze.
I suppose some people would rather have their physicians be conservative and pessimistic in evaluating a patient's outcome. But as for me, dealing with a negative person is always harder.
And if we're talking about our hands here..I would prefer they give me the facts with no spin. There is data...lets hear what it is...lets all decide from that, instead some fear-based decision-making.
its just my opinion, but I felt a need to share.

"You'll start feeling that when your 40", is quite true. I don't believe it's negative, at all. You may not want to hear it that way, but it's true that an injury or health issue that was either overlooked or not taken care of properly, is likely to haunt you years later. :shock:

"you'll feel that at forty"...
here's the deal...(imho)...
I have heard that for years...and at this point we have all kinds of ways of treating things...so casting an outcome tends to produce it. people get an expectation and so they take no action..and they turn out worse. I would rather change the pessimism in healthcare (you would want that,right?)...and train people to take the steps and heal themselves.
There are many ways to heal from chronic inuries...it is counter-productive to keep telling people that its a foregone conclusion that they will have pain or reduced function from an injury. In addition, it continues a paradigm of "the doctor is in charge"..and in truth the MD is not....there are multiple players involved, and your outcome has alot to do with what you decide to do (or not do).
If this post helps even one person..or encourages one person..it was worth it. I am sorry if it offends anyone...but this is what I have seen, and I would be acting like sheep if I didnt say these important points.
yes, there are difficult situations...but for many, improvement is definelty possible.