It's here -- pictures to follow

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
I'm going to pick it up at the store in about a half hour. I've got my modules. Now today the amp arrives. The box was intact (big thing with UPS).

:D :D :D

I'll post photos later today.

Julia said:
I'm going to pick it up at the store in about a half hour. I've got my modules. Now today the amp arrives. The box was intact (big thing with UPS).

:D :D :D

I'll post photos later today.
Sweet and Congrats!

First you should have seen the box after UPS got through with it... :shock:

This is a very bright amp, but that can be dealt with, and I just got used to 6L6s on the 5150. It's got a lot of "bark" to it. First thing I did was check the bias. Factory biased at 38 mv +/- 0.1 mv except for one tube which was at 36. So I evened it out, and checked again in 15 minutes. Held it fine.

Yes, I'm running presence at 0 and density at 9:00. Very sweet amp. Finding all sorts of sounds available.

LynchBox_1.jpg

Congrats! Looks great!

As for Bright.. hehehee... check my thread in the "Eganter/Randall Modular Amps" section of this forum. I started a thread called.. "RM100.. too bright?" (you posted in it , didn't you?).

How is the Brahma?

I've found that the RM100 was bright as well, especially the Blackface module (I never, and I mean NEVER put the bright switch on the right with that module, I fear for my eardrums LOL!). I can only imagine it set up with E34L's! Although, I plan on pairing up a couple of 6L6's with two EL34's soon, just for the added midrange beef.

Isn't it fun just playing with the knobs when you first get it? :D Also, try it with the Density further up, it's INSANE the bottom end this amp can push with the higher gain modules. I keep density between 1-3:00 on mine, and the bass on my Ultra XL module (especially after my pickup swap) never goes far over 1:00 itself. I had it around 3:00 along with the density after the swap and felt like the punch was gonna fracture my femurs, lol!

Nice!!!

Congratulations,

I can't tell, is your's the green one or black one?

I have a green one/w modules back ordered. It was supposed to be in 12-30-2008 now they pushed it back to 1-30-2009 :roll: :cry:

EDIT: Never mind, it's black, I just read your sig...

Welcome to the obsessive world of MTS! Sweet rig you've got there.
You can tweak these things into oblivion. If you're like many of us on here, you're amp will have a different sound, and different components, in a few months. But that's half the fun.

1+ on the EL34L/6L6 mix (inside/outside).
And if you like the 5150 lead channel, slap an Ultra XL in slot 3, then get it modded...then (see what I mean?)

And if that Brahma doesn't suit you, I'll gladly relieve you of it :twisted:

I love the Brahma. I spent most of my time there today. I thought played on it with my SG for a while and dialed in some good classic hard rock sounds. I really like mids and got a nice lead tone out of it. Then I tried darkening it a bit with the tone knobs and used my TS808 for a gain and volume boost so that the solos jump out a bit more. Gives a great grind with my Alexi's Duncan Blackout. 8)

(I'll post a clip when I get this stupid idea for a solo ironed out a bit better. It's technically a bit beyond me at this time. but practice and more practice. I can do this.) :roll:

I'm not that concerned about the bass just because if the bass player does his or her job I don't need to play there. But that Grail with the density up a bit can be t3h 6ru7a1z. :wink:

Tomorrow onto Mr. Scary.

Glad you got it!

What speakers are you using? Some of my MTS modules were definetally on the bright side, but tube swapping, and or modding, has gotten them much better. Most of my modules, the treble do not go past noon. But thats ok, just dial it in with your ears. first time I dug into the Ultra XL with my usual EQ, I hated it, very bright and tinny, but after adjusting with my ears and a tube swap, it is one of my favorite modules. Treble on that guy is pretty low.

Speakers: two Avatar Contemporary (Orange Amp style) 212s each loaded with a Greenback and a Vintage 30. I've done the "Mitchell Donut" mod on the cabinets and that eliminates the ice pick.

Already I got prompted on another forum to get the SL+ module and to the C3 mod on it. Someone enlighten me.

After I've gotten used to dialing in tones and stuff on it I'll be trying a pair of 6550s on the outside, and then start messing with the three amp preamp tubes. Maybe see what that second JAN GE 5751 sounds like in V1, and the Tung Sol 12AX7 in the one before the PI or even in the PI.

my rm100 is anything but bright. has to be the cab or guitar. i used an sg once and it may have been bright with thatguitar but with my ibanez and my jackson i run the presence around 3-4 o clock just to get the blanket off

Hey Julia ,

nice score .BTW is the alligator tolex the dark green with the black face .or is it ALL black hard to tell from my comp .

let me know how you like the Scary and if you think it sounds similar to the SLO tone you are looking for ..

Cheers!!
S

So how do you like those cabs? I've had my on on a 412 contemp for a little while now.

Also use 0 presence, the amp can turn ice picky real fast with that knob.
Also keep in mind you have a pretty bright speaker set up, just saying.

I am well aware of the 1.8 kHz spike with the Vintage 30s. Also am very aware of the brightness of the pickups on these guitars -- (left to right: Blackout; 498T/490R; JB/59). So with everything so interdependent for the total sound, we all have to make the adjustments that are necessary.

For recording, I'm really debating upon the Hughes & Kettner Red Box Classic which emulates a 412 with Vintage 30s and doesn't involve rewiring the speaker cabs, or breakdown and spend the money on some software that does cabinet and amp simulation. We won't need the amp stuff, but the cabinets and FX? yes. But I can't get both Pro Tools LE and something like Revalver III right now.

Here's the family:

AlexiinBW.jpg
GibsonSGStandard2.jpg
Hellraiser.jpg

nice!
but, i have a quesiton..
WTF is the "Mitchell Donut" mod ??

i use crate and jackson cabs. i LOVE the OLD carpeted 80's crate cabs with celestions.

Congrats! Nice lookin' rig you got there! I have the same mods but with an RM20. How do you like the Scary? I keep going back and forth with mine - some days I love it and some days not so much so.