MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
distortoman
RM20

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: 1086 on the way Reply with quote

[quote by NED] "I got mine in Wednesday and put it in the RM50HB before rehearsal. So far this is my favorite module. Will use it next week in rehearsal with the band to see how it cuts through."

That's cool to hear, Ned. I am curious, what type of music does your band play? My band plays original alternative/metal music. Also, what characteristics about the 1086 make it better than your other high gain modules? I am very excited about getting my 1086, which I also use with a Randall RM50HB head. Do you use the master volume boost jack on the back of head?

Distortoman
[/quote]
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're a cover band and play Green Day, Collective Soul, Weezer, Puddle of Mudd, The Cars (no keyboards), Switchfoot, Nickelcrack, Maroon5 and a bunch of other stuff.

The only other high gain module I've used is the Recto which I had in my RM4. Since I've gone to the RM50 head I'm only using either the Plexi or an Eggie SL, I can get some good chugga chugga on the SL with the right palm muting.

I'm really hoping to dial in the 1086 for just a bit more, kinda like the SL on steriods. I know it will get me there I just need to spend time with it while rehearsing. Found that if you dial in a sound by yourself you end up changing it when playing with the group.
Personal Web Page
distortoman
RM20

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: 1086 and Rehearsing alone/vs with a band Reply with quote

Hey Ned,
That's cool that you play in modern rock cover band. Do you guys play out often? Also, how much do you guys get to practice a week?
Good point on the fact that there is a huge difference between dialing in a sound by yourself versus dialing in a sound that works well in the context of a band. I have found out the hard way, that may times, when I think I have found the perfect setting for distortion when I play by myself, I try it with the band, and it doesn't mesh well at all. It frustrates me, but it is just a fact of playing. Context is everything. Sometimes the tone you thinks sounds horrible by youself ends up being the perfect tone in the band context. Also, I was wondering how you have EQed the 1086 so far: Gain boost on or off? Mid voicing switch to the left or right? I was also wondering if you notice a big difference between the mid voicings of the two positions for the mid voicing switch, or if the maximum midrange level of the left position is like the minimum setting on the right hand setting? (I hope that makes sense!!!) I have my 1086 being shipped out to me this week, and I can't wait to get it! Sorry for all the questions, but I am just curious to know from someone who has the 1086 and plays out.

Thanks,
Distortoman
ned
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are currently booked twice a month through July and have been rehearsing twice a week for almost a year. The rehearsal really helps as there are times I completely zone during a gig but can play most of our songs on automatic. We played a bar in Austin on Thursday night and got offered the house band gig.

I've only spent about 30 minutes with my 1086. Mid voicing to the right produces a singing/voilin like distortion.
Personal Web Page
muskpsmesane
RM100

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey i was wondering for the people that own the 1086. How much of that plexi sound can you get out of the 1086? Im looking to use the 1086 as my main tone, metallica black album tone, and also hoping i can get enough out of it to give me a southern rock kind of tone. Dont need it to be a exact tone from like a fender or whatever but just wondering if you think it would give me enough out of it so i wouldnt have to get a seperate module so i can plan on getting the rm100. loaded with a clean module(dont know which one), rectified, and 1086.
thanks,
devin
distortoman
RM20

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Plexi Sound from 1086 Reply with quote

Hey muskpsmesane,
From my experience with the 1086, you can DEFINITELY get a good Southern Rock/Classic Rock type of tone out of it if you put the Gain Boost Switch to the left and put the Mid Voicing switch to the right. In my opinion, the classic rock tone from the 1086 is very comparable to the Plexi module, so in conclusion, I would say that you wouldn't have to get a separate module for the "Southern Rock" tone, because the versatility of the 1086 module, in my opinion, is unparallelled by any of the other high-gain modules so far. It really CAN go from PLEXI to RECTIFIED.

Hope this helps,
Distortoman
muskpsmesane
RM100

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats AWESOME. Thanks man. Yeah im just waiting for the money to roll in and im going to go pick me up a rm100m loaded with most likely a Blackface, Rectified, and 1086. Cant wait. Should be sweet!
devin
crrrN
RM20

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my 1086. It kicks ass, very versitile and has lots of different tones in it. Blues to metal and back. Kicks ass.
muskpsmesane
RM100

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey crrrn, have you tried the ultra xl?
crrrN
RM20

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I haven't. I don't think it's available here in Holland, have you tried it?
muskpsmesane
RM100

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, na i havent tried it, and im going to get a rm100m soon and im stuck between the 1086 and ultra xl. I just need to know more about the ultra xl. Sound clips or something.
gtr31
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: 1086 Reply with quote

I was speaking with someone at Synergy music the other day and they were comparing the 1086 to the VHT Pittbull they said it was fast attack and super tight unlike the recto. Does anyone else think that the Donnegan mod exhibits the pittbull voice?? that would be awesome. still waiting on the Lynch mods ,im curious to see if they will sounds like exsisting mods again I heard that the SCARY was like an SL+ with cap mod and a wider sweep in the mid control ,should be ineresting.

Cheers
S
crrrN
RM20

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what kind of cap resistor is on the 1086? Is it the .001uF ?
distortoman
RM20

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Mid-voicing on 1086: left or right Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
For those who have and use the 1086 module, I was just wondering: do you tend to use module with the mid-voicing switch to the left or to the right? Also, do you find that the two mid voicings are noticeably different from one another, or do you find that having the mid knob on 10 with the mid voicing switch to the left is the same as have the mid knob scooped out to 0 with the mid voicing switch to the right (one is just a continuation of the other)? Your findings would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Distortoman
NuSkoolTone
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a 1086 myself, and it's nice to FINALLY hear a module that sounds TRULY different from the rest!

Even witht the mids flat, the voicing switch drasitcally changes the sound.
I only played around with High gain so far and this is what I found: Voicing to the left is kinda Rectifier sounding, to the RIght is more Marshally sounding.

I compared the 1086 to my modded recto module with the voicing switch to the left and while it's certianly it's own thing, I'm not getting rid of my recto. The 1086 is a little more forward and modern in the mids and is an awesome tone for sure. The Recto has more of a lower mid grunt going on with that manic, psychotic moan going on that is signature recto if you know what I mean.

It really depends on what you're playing and the tone you're going for to determine which is more approriate, and having two DISTINCT excellent flavors makes me VERY happy.

I haven't put in enough time to compare the 1086 to my modules in the marshall camp, so I won't get into details there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Modules All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: