xtc module ( Best red channel mod ) ???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf#9

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the mts world and like the xtc module. I see that pete turley & friedman seem to be the go to guys for mods. I am looking for the bogner sound as close as possible but dont care for a faceplate or knob change etc, just great bogner like tone. The stock module is nice but I can see it being better as in closer to the red channel sound. any suggestions ?? I think if the mod is good I dont need all the push pull bells and whistles. Thanks for your help !!!!

Hey Wolf#9

Welcome to the forum.

Happy to see a fellow Quebec pal on the forum ! Are you french speaking ?

My XTC almost never leaves it's place on my RM100.

My suggestion is before having it modified try different preamp tubes and even mix different brands to start with . You could be very surprised about the results.

For the record I've had very good results with TungSol's, they tends to sound more Marshally authentic to me which is, in my opinion, what the Bogner is all about, a souped up Marshall.

Rock on,

Claude

Hey Claude,
thanks for all the great info ! I live in quebec so I am of course french speaking. Not too many Randall dealers around montreal and almost no modules in stock. I have a jsx that I love but thought I would also try the rm100. Did you try any of the modded modules Claude or just the stock ones ? Also, it looks like you have a brown and a sl+, how do you like the brown module ??? Merci beaucoup Claude pour tout la bonne Info !!!

De rien, ?a me fait plaisir. :D

I'm located in Laval, so i know about the availability of the Randall MTS modules around Montreal.

Even if i'm done looking for my perfect amp since i got my RM100 I'd love to get a JSX, I just can't help it ... lol

Have you got yourself any MTS stuff yet ?

I bought some stuff on eBay and the rest comes from fellow members here on this forum.

The only modded modules i own are the ones i have done myself. The SL+ is one of them, It is actually a modified Ultra .

I was initialy quite excited about getting the Brown but when i finally grabbed one i was a bit disapointed.

I have a KH2 and in my opinion it is better for that kind of sound with some knobs tweaking. Also, this module, like many others, loves to be boosted with an OD or clean boost in front.

Actually, (please no flame) the Brown and Top Boost don't see much action in my rig.

Of course, it all depends on personal taste, style/guitar/pick-ups/ and pedals in front of the amp.

The good thing about the MTS stuff is that your rig evolves with your needs ...

Rock on,
Claude

I have A randall rm100 pending sale on ebay. I won the auction but there seems to be some red tape !!! The Jsx is a really cool amp, I love the presence and resonance controls because the amp can sound smaller or really huge !! Mine has 6l6 s but It was designed with el34 s, so I may change them out ( purchased the amp this way ) I really like the bogner clips that I have been hearing and seeing on the net. I tried the rm50 combo with a kirk hammet module and it sounded preaty cool. I know that Italmelody has one in stock but only the rm100 kh and no other modules ( too bad !!! ) I think it looks like a great system but I think reliability with the contacts will be a problem over time. You know how it goes in the guitar realm, we always are searching for that new magical tone, but thats part of the fun I guess

About reliability, I bought my RM100 used on eBay, it is an early one and i used it quite a bit since i got it, I have no reliability issues so far !

I hope you'll be happy with the amp.

wolf#9 said:
Hi,

I am new to the mts world and like the xtc module. I see that pete turley & friedman seem to be the go to guys for mods. I am looking for the bogner sound as close as possible but dont care for a faceplate or knob change etc, just great bogner like tone. The stock module is nice but I can see it being better as in closer to the red channel sound. any suggestions ?? I think if the mod is good I dont need all the push pull bells and whistles. Thanks for your help !!!!

I mod em without the push pull bells and whistles and faceplate/knobs too, just fyi. I also own a 'real' 2004 101B Bogner Ecstacy that I used to do my mods - not just looking under the hood but listening/comparing to the real thing. A lot. :)

Pete