Pete modded KH3

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
Played it back to back with my stock KH-3

It does exactly what it says on the can.....add warmth and a little more presence.

Cheers Pete

Sweet, you got it! Try playing some fairly complex chords with it too - should have a bit more clarity and string to string seperation than the stocker. :)

Pete

okstrat said:
Sweet, you got it! Try playing some fairly complex chords with it too - should have a bit more clarity and string to string seperation than the stocker. :)

Pete

I don't have a huge issue with clarity on the guitar I tried it with (KH2 = Alder and EMG81s) but I can imagine it helping out my Mahogany Gibby somewhat or the Epi I have with JBs in :D

Firefighter1428 said:
Can we get a sound clip?? Maybe a demo between the both of them

If I can pull it together at the weekend but don't expect more than a few chords and stuff :)

I'll be stunned if my recording doesn't obliterate the differences tho :-/

So I got to play with this some more and louder volume and in my newly restored and beloved RM50HB :twisted: .....I played with the EQ some and also lots of gain....it's hard to get a bad sound out of this sucker.

The congested sound is less in this module than the stock..which I discovered after messing with the EQ a bit more at extremes..and to top it off there's just more open space or something...

shred-o-holic said:
What eq setting helps with the chest cold? :lol:

Well..as I said I think it's inherent in the mid voicing...it's really apparent when you turn the treble down...so turn the treble up a bit to compensate :D

I'm playing with EMG81s/Alder here which people tell me should be too bright but as the modules were designed around it..it's not :D

6550C's right now too...which can;t hurt ;)

Too late here, otherwise I'd record it

Sounds like Pete did a great job on it. I am definitely going to have Pete so some work on some modules for me in the near future.

Have been playing around with this thing for a bit(unmodded KH3), and I cant say I love the module. It sounds OK, but the feel is not there for me. Do the Pete mods help with that?

It's not a radical change in my opinion...it warms up a little bit and adds clarity but the stiff feel doesn't change much.

In fact a pre-amp tube swap might help that more..

danhops said:
Have been playing around with this thing for a bit(unmodded KH3), and I cant say I love the module. It sounds OK, but the feel is not there for me. Do the Pete mods help with that?

This is what kinda made me mad about the module. The whole Randall crew was saying this is the sickest, most gainy module they have ever created...and when i finally got it...i just sat in disbelief like...."WTF"
It's fine though. I think when i get back into the MTS thing,

im going to make clips of EVERY module with all the dial's at noon (to make a control system) so you guy's all get a sense of what each module sounds like.

I had high hopes for it as well. I was one of the 1st orders and people to get this. After about 30 minutes of playing I just knew I couldnt get into it. Sold it the next day. The KH2 is alot more versatile to me. But its all matter of opinion.

Mailman1971 said:
I had high hopes for it as well. I was one of the 1st orders and people to get this. After about 30 minutes of playing I just knew I couldnt get into it. Sold it the next day. The KH2 is alot more versatile to me. But its all matter of opinion.

The KH3 does the modern gain thing a *lot* better than the KH-2 and it doesn't feel as stiff (dye to more gain) or tubby in the low end...Much easier to get a singing lead out of a KH3 at low(er) volumes too....each to his own.

Overall, they're not a million miles apart tho' .. I've sold KH2s twice now...and contemplated offing my current one...but only sold the KH3 when I upgraded her with the Pete mod :D

I feel like that with Mr. Scary. Sometimes it just sounds SO KILLER and other times I cant stand to play it. Must be me! :D
Or I guess if I am just not feeling it that day. Music for me really pends on the mood or flavor of the month I been listening too. Varies from The Doors to Slayer and all in between and then some! :wink:

Mailman1971 said:
I feel like that with Mr. Scary. Sometimes it just sounds SO KILLER and other times I cant stand to play it. Must be me! :D
Or I guess if I am just not feeling it that day. Music for me really pends on the mood or flavor of the month I been listening too. Varies from The Doors to Slayer and all in between and then some! :wink:

I have 10 modules online in my rig...went thru' 'em all one day...killer...next day I went WTF..these all sound the same....I could sell 1/2 of it and still be better off....good and bad tone days I guess :D

That was litterally my Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

Your right.....sometimes its just easier to walk away from the Rig for that day. I once got sick of a amp.....put it on Ebay for a STEAL...sold it in about 10 minutes. And regretted getting rid of it ever since!! Easier to just shut it off some times and re-group later. :roll:

I feel you brother!!I haven't had that feeling for a while but I do feel like certain modules could use some tweaking!!