MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pete's 1086 MONSTER
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mailman1971
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankyrayhanky wrote:
all true

I saw on another post someone guessed that the 1087 was exclusively for high gain purposes- but I'm amazed at the versatility!
So many facets to this mod, I love exploring the options...but yes- full tilt BEAST mode rules!

Another thing I discovered the other day when playing it was even with the gain cranked on the module, I was surprised by rolling the guitar volume down for some Hybrid finger picking that it came across Very clean and still held its tone with out that "dying" feeling on most modules when rolling the guitar volume back. GREAT for playing Skid Row 'Monkey Business' into into the SLAMMING part(You 0ld guys remember that song?) Rolling Eyes
But what a SUPERB module and modded 1086/1087 Its the BET THING going out there for me. May not be for everyone, but dont sell this one short for strictly Metal as Crankyrayhanky mentions. One of my Favorite settings is gain at about noon and a clean boost on it(It dont need a boost at all) but.....it brings a different tone out fo the module that I am digging. Take the blinders off and play around with these modules. You will be surprised at all the different tones you can get.
Dial with the EARS....not the eyes! Cool (He is a Blind smiley and dials with ears not eye since he cant see the settings)
MusiciansFriend.com's Deal Center
crankyrayhanky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just made a deal and received a stock 1086 as part of a package...I rememeber I didn't like this module stock before when i owned it- of course it is #1 now that is modded

So anywho, I have a stock 1086 going to battle against the Pete1087 in my rm100KH

OMG- this stock version is just not good- it's not a fair fight at all- stock is very fizzy gain, thin, lacks the body, the power that the Pete1087 employs

No doubt this 1087 is a whole new beast

I may have to make my first module video, the difference is so astounding, I think even a cheap camera mic will reveal the huge differences
Mailman1971
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+10000000000!!!!
I cant stress the KICK ASSNESS of this modded module! I just got in from playing. Man...it rules. Cant stress how BEEFY this thing is and how HEAVY AMP sounding it is. League of its own! Join the club people!! Very Happy
Bronco
RM50

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankyrayhanky wrote:
I may have to make my first module video, the difference is so astounding, I think even a cheap camera mic will reveal the huge differences
Yes, please do this...I for one would love to hear the difference!
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pete's 1086 MONSTER Reply with quote

TheHunter wrote:
Well what can I say about it HMMM.

It flat out kills Twisted Evil

This is my first originaly owned Pete mod, my other is a second hand Mr.Scary and I gotta tell you; that thing is just sick ass hell too. More on that later, right now the spot light goes to the 1086.

The craftsmanship on his work is just prefect, I showed this module to a fellow engineer at work (its were it was sent to) and he was astonished at the quality. VERY VERY PRO PETE. I knew on first look that this 1086 was not the one I sent off, it was a creature from another planet.

So I took it home with great anticipation, I poped it in the RM100 and set it up the way I liked it before I sent it to Pete's monster factory, to my surprise the gain switch to the right was no longer needed, this little switch now produces so much gain that you could seriously peel paint, drywall, framing and house down with it, it is lethal. So I switched the gain back to the left and boy it cleans up with this saturated drive that just sings. Personally I like the gain this way, tight and crunchy, clear and articulate. Tons of gain on this thing just tons.

It is just so versitale to boot, the gain knob now pulls out for a tighter bass responce and pushes in for a sweet singing lead type structure. Very cool.

The mid switch is just insane now, to the left you get that sweet mesa like growl, to the right is that really crunchy death metal shred, reminds me of like NAPALM DEATH or one of those older DeathMetal bandsLOL. Either way both settings are quit useable.

Now there is a pull switch on the LEVEL knob and at high volumes it was hard to distinguish what it actually does, but to my ears and the feel of the module it sounds like it changes the mid freq responce almost giving you the effect that your changing the distortion ratio or dynamics, maybe im describing that wrong, but it reminds me of the way the MESA rectumfieds have the diode switch on them, kinda like that effect.

Any way in conclusion, PETE this module just rules, so clear so clean so mothaheffing BRUTAL. THANKS SO MUCH.

Now I may have to send off my RECTO after hearing INSIGHTIBANEZ's holy crap that thing shreds too.

Im convinced that PETE has the MIDAS touch when it comes to electronics.

Thnaks PETE.

I just got one too. I love the sound! Did you figure out what the level push pull does? I paid for a tightness switch but i can't figure out what it does except change the feel a bit when you pull it out (drier maybe). anyway, it seems the extra gain boost i had him put that in. the gain switch is connected to the c3 and when you engage it, makes it looser and when you take it out, tighter. I love the effect but wish there was a seperate tightness control as i'd like to be able to make it tight with the gain engaged and loose with it out depending on the music for super heavy rythm and leads that arent so saturated instead of having a push pull that basically makes it looser with the super crunch and tighter without. I love the effect but what is the other (volume push pull) switch for? your thoughts?

yours truly,
Angel
crankyrayhanky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you just got yours in the last week or so, it's probably just like the one I received
The gain toggle (where the bright used to be) goes between regular and extra gain
The gain knob push pull gives tight/loose
The master vloume push/pull is a more gentle effect- I think it adds the bright, but since I'm always gained up, it's hard to hear...probably lower gaion settings should make this more apparent

Of course Pete did a few different versions of this mod over the last year, so I'm not sure what you have
okstrat
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Angel, been stupid busy and on top of that, one of the users that came to our conference (where I've been all week) brought the flu with them and gave me a dose.

Note to self, next time when shaking a lot of hands, get some purell...

anyways - the gain knob is a push/pull switch as you already know. It changes the tightness of the low end. It can be subtle depending on your cab and volume level or VERY apparent. Play a muted low E string and while chugging on that, pull the gain knob out. Listen for a few, then push it back in.

If you play in a bedroom at low volumes or a cab that doesn't have a lot of bass, you may not hear much of a difference but it is there. It also changes the feel of notes - pushed in should be rounder tone and bassier, pulled out should be a little sharper on the attack (not added high end, just a little less bottom) and tighter.

Pete
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: oh yeah! Reply with quote

It's cool Pete, anyone with a talent as pure as yours has got to be in demand. I think we forget that when we're sitting here thinking about your amp. BTW, Thanks for the amp. I love it!

Here's my Review:
OH MY GOD! I got my Pete 1086 last week and DUDE! It's like Blat Dat Dat chunka chunka! I mean he took a decent sound and made a trademark perfect rythm module. It's so clear and warm. Pulling the gain knob like Pete said gives you a tight rythm sound and pushing it in gives you a warmer looser higher gain sound. They compliment each other very well. The module is very versatile and has a great sound. It sounds as good as any amp out there. Now, I don't have the MM tranny upgrade but that's coming next week. I've been bugging Pete about the next mods he's making for me because this one is just so great. I can't wait to have an amp full of GIGMODS preamps. I ordered an Ultra modded to XL (except treble pot) and Recto mod, both with all the toppings. He's just waiting on the custom plate for my Ultra (those look soo badass and scream "I'm custom"). I don't know if he's started the recto yet but I keep my fingers crossed. So I figure I'll have the 1086 for rythm and leads, the XL for liquid smooth leads and finesse rythm and the recto for at least rythm and maybe leads. (Pete says he makes it with less gain but better tone so it might be better for rythm.) I don't know what the level push pull does exactly but I think it was described very well as almost like changing the settings on the back of a mesa rec. It definitely changes the feel and a bit of the sound but is most apparent to the person playing. Pete, I'm not sure if it was a typo but I believe you said the gain knob does tightness but what I wanted to know is about the level knob. I don't want to give any secrets but let's just say it looks like the gain knob does both gain and tightness and I'm not sure what the level does exactly but to my eyes it doesn't look like it changes that standard part we mod for bottom end tightness (i'll clarify pm if you need). All in all, it's a trademark module for a trademark sound. If you're trying to decide on another module or getting this done, it's a no brainer. If you're a Metal guitarist and don't have one of these, it's worth the 500 dollars for the mod and Pete's work. It's that good. If I could have one trademark sound to distinguish myself, it'd be 1086 by Turley.

Rock on.
-Angel

P.S. is In or out tight for level?

Thanks!

Last edited by MasterOf1Angel on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
okstrat
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, level changes boost frequencies - one is full range, one is midrange and above so your low end doesn't mush up. It is pretty subtle, I may make it where it only does a boost so people can hear what it's doing more easily.

Pete
crankyrayhanky
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to battle stock 1086 vs Pete 1087
I always bash stock 1086, but I guess it has a purpose, that razor abrasive Dimebag/Disturbed tone- the tight sound works good for extreme low tunings

Pete1087 really is a whole different module, apples to oranges
I'll have some clips soon
rhequiem
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete's 1087 mod was one of the first modules I bought when I got into MTS (a whole like 2 weeks ago hehe), and has quickly moved its way into my #1 spot on the RM4. I find it's overall the best-sounding, most versatile module I have, and has me wanting more of Pete's work. The only other Gigmodule I have is a Modern, and that's already in the #2 position, over a Friedman HBE and JF recto. All good modules, but Pete's work has really hit a chord with me. Awesome work, Pete Smile
I am Legion
RM100

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned a 1087 for over a year I have to agree with many of the points already raised about its fantastic versatile tone, so I won't start repeating them, however I am curious as to what tubes everyone is using in theirs.

I have a Tung Sol in V1 and a EH in V2.

What are you guys using??

ESP LTD M207 w/BK Warpig

Good deals with OKstrat, Jaded Faith, Salvation, Mysticalp, Murderball.
HughJasol
Donating Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a Tung-Sol in V1, and a Penta Labs 12AX7M in V2. I read a couple of other posts recommending this configuration ... I tried it and I liked it! Cool
Mesa 20/20
Matrix GT1000FX
Salvation: Dual Salvado Deluxe, Dual MatchVox, Mamba Gold SE
JF: Dual ODS, Dual RVerb, 1959RR Platinum
Stock Duals: BMAN, DLX
Axe-FX II (x2)
MFC-101 (x2)
I am Legion
RM100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally snagged an authentic 1960's Mullard to put in V2, along with the Tung Sol in V1 - fantastic tone! No more trial and error for me javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

ESP LTD M207 w/BK Warpig

Good deals with OKstrat, Jaded Faith, Salvation, Mysticalp, Murderball.
drewiv

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1086 coming and I plan to send it to Pete, as soon as his unfortunate situation calms down. Along with a Mr. Scary that's going to get the Slodano treatment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Gigmods Module Mods All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: