Die hard Egnater user... and VERY impressed by the 1086!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockStarNick

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1086 the other day for a great price, brand new.

I'm an Egnater use for the most part, but have a Randall RM20 as my practice/small gig amp.

I wanted to get a module that could kinda "do-it-all", and serve as a good high gain practice module too. I considered an SL+ or XTC, but then found some videos and info on the 1086. The switchable gain and mid-voice seemed like good versatile features... but I really can't stand Disturbed. Just not my cup of tea, that genre of metal. Anyway, the price was too good to pass up, so I got it.

Well, let me tell you, I'm thoroughly impressed by the Dan Donegan 1086. It really can go from great low gain plexi tones, to high gain british tones, to saturated Mesa tones. Great overall tone from the module. I love it.

Highly reccomended to anyone looking to get a high-gain module, but can't really make up their mind on which one to get... cuz the 1086 can pretty much do a faithful rendition of multiple tones.

Now if you get it modded out by Pete here on the board....it becomes the EG5 Killer!
I did the A/B test with my band and people that were at the session and the vote was 100% on the modded 1086. Well worth the money!! :wink:

crankyrayhanky said:
MMan is always lurking, prodding me to get that 1086 :!:

Heck I owned one, what, 3 times now? I still need to try the Pete modded one... :twisted:

cant even compare the stock 1086 to the modded one. I think the Modded 1086 came real close to the tone my Engl Invader had. But the 1086 was a little meaner. And.....I am sure if it wasnt your cup of tea....you would have NO PROBLEM selling to a member here! :wink:

Nick

Randall has some very nice offererings in modules, and just because its not egnater, should not be overlooked. I also recommend checking out the Ultra XL for high gain bliss, and perhaps some of the other signature models.

audioholic said:
Nick

Randall has some very nice offererings in modules, and just because its not egnater, should not be overlooked. I also recommend checking out the Ultra XL for high gain bliss, and perhaps some of the other signature models.
+1 on that. I have owned a Egnater Mod 50 and the Egnater Mod 100 and still went back to the Randall. Both are very good products but the Randall suited me a little better. Like to tweak and mod and play a heavier style of music. But they are both killer rigs and EVERYTHING should be looked at, the EGGY modules as well as the Randalls.
Just my 2 Cents! 8)

RockStarNick said:
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1086 the other day for a great price, brand new.

I'm an Egnater use for the most part, but have a Randall RM20 as my practice/small gig amp.

I wanted to get a module that could kinda "do-it-all", and serve as a good high gain practice module too. I considered an SL+ or XTC, but then found some videos and info on the 1086. The switchable gain and mid-voice seemed like good versatile features... but I really can't stand Disturbed. Just not my cup of tea, that genre of metal. Anyway, the price was too good to pass up, so I got it.

Well, let me tell you, I'm thoroughly impressed by the Dan Donegan 1086. It really can go from great low gain plexi tones, to high gain british tones, to saturated Mesa tones. Great overall tone from the module. I love it.

Highly reccomended to anyone looking to get a high-gain module, but can't really make up their mind on which one to get... cuz the 1086 can pretty much do a faithful rendition of multiple tones.
WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE NICK!!!!!!!!!

WANNA BORROW MINE? :?: :?:

NOOOOOOT! :p :lol:

Id never see it again LOL. :twisted:

I discovered that LIVE the modded 1086 and modded SL+ shred together, LIKE holy crap its a huge sound. Recorded sounds even better. :shock:

I was running the Grecto side by side with the modded 1086 and that was sick to but not as SICK as the SL+_1086 combo. BRUTALITY. FLAWLESS VICTORY. :evil: :evil:

Which Egnater module would sound closest to the modded 1086? I have the EG5, SL2, ERect and MHG currently.

Voiced pretty similar to the EG5 but not as dark and all the gain is USABLE! The EG5 sounds good and heavy but too much gain that isnt usable and it gets dark and muddy(at least for me it did)
That Pete 1086 is the GO TO for anything heavier than Hair Metal. :twisted:

i dont get the hype over the stock 1086...the Ultra XL sounds far better to my ears. But they are similar....The Ultra Xl just sounds like a boosted 1086.

I just picked up a 1086 and I love it. I can play it clean or dial up the gain for a more modern tone. By comparison, it's way better than channel 3 on my EVH 5150III.

Mailman1971 said:
Voiced pretty similar to the EG5 but not as dark and all the gain is USABLE! The EG5 sounds good and heavy but too much gain that isnt usable and it gets dark and muddy(at least for me it did)

Not as dark!? I thought the EG5 was ridiculously bright!

richedie said:
Mailman1971 said:

Not as dark!? I thought the EG5 was ridiculously bright!

the eg5 can get dark if the treble is set lower than 9 0clock.

i like to bring back some brightness by adding mids usually 12 or 1.

but yes, the eg5 with treble at noon will cut your head off.