The Elements of Great Guitar Tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube Head

Reaction score
Ive had a rm100 for about a year now and really enjoy the flexibility it gives to find the sound I want. So many factors from fingers to speakers contribute to your sound and overlooking any one of these factors will keep you one step away from finding truly fine guitar tone. The MTS gear is some of the best but is only a single piece of a much larger picture. Excluding technique, what are the all of the factors to consider to get great guitar tone?

-pick -strings -pickup -guitar -volume/tone pot -cable -effects pedals- more cables -pre amp -more effects -more cables -power amp
-speaker cable -speaker -speaker cabinet

....lets stop there. Of course the acoustics of the room you are in is also a huge subject and is costantly variable if your playing many venues.

You forgot "Finger". You need a MOJO finger to get MOJO TONE.

I have also heard Big Nut Sack. A Big Nut Sack means your TONE has BALLS.

:twisted:

FM

Wow! What a list. Makes my head spin.

You say "guitar" but that's pretty broad. As long as you mention Vol/tone pots, why not: set neck or bolt on or neck through, woods (neck, body and fretboard), frets, bridge, saddles, nut. Preamp and power amp should also include what tubes you're using, both brand and type. After all, if you aren't using tubes, whay worry about all this other stuff? Your tone will suck. :shock:

Listening!!

Particularly for what the "Great Tone" is in context and mix.

While I love Mike Cambell's tone with Petty, I wouldn't use that for a heavy thrash tune obviously... Less obvious is say a guy who loves Dimebag's tone, but with the band/mix he is working within it sounds horrid because of the differences in the other musicians tones/mix, even though it is a similar type music.

I always try to listen to my tone in a band or mix to get the gem of a tone that works... To often I hear guys that have the "Tone of the Gods" in thier bedroom, but it sounds like s*^t in a band.

My 2 cents anyway :D

Couldn't agree with you more Lance.... I remember back in the day when all I had was an ADA MP-1, DR-X (effects) and a Rickenbacker Solid State amp yet I would always get the question (Where do you get that Tone) from guitarist with a Rack litterally packed with about 10 units minimal 2 Stacks and a top of the line Tube amp and still sounded like poop and I would just say. "Listen, Listen, Listen".

-- Having a Mojo finger and a nut sack help too... :lol: J/K.....

FM