Verification of a gigmodded module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
I'm seeing some disturbing stuff on the classifieds - people are getting modules purported to be modded by Friedman or me or others and they aren't what they say they are. Yikes.

If you ever want to confirm if I did a mod, send me a gut shot of your module with the tube cage removed. I can verify if I did the work pretty easily that way, also if you have it give me the name of the person I did the mod for.

Last year I started signing and dating the chassis under the PCB, I'm probably going to start logging serial #s of modules now.

My apologies to anyone who bought something that they thought I modded and I didn't... I'm glad to verify anyone's module, just send me a pic and we'll go from there. Try to limit the size under 100k though, I get a lot of mail on my old iPhone (non 3g) and large image files choke it pretty good.

Pete

Cool Pete!!!I sent Dave some work and asked he do the same,also talked with Jeff about this happening!!People,just be honest!!!That's all :lol: Thanks for posting this Pete!!!!

Thats a great idea. Every mod that I have gotten From Dave or Pete, I have all emails and paypal transactions backing it up. Just in case a doubt came about.
Only had a couple from Pete and a few from Dave. But marking the mods is a excellent idea! Keep it rocking Pete!!!
8)

Hmmm... This could explain a lot. Might be jumping the gun here but you're the expert so... that scary I sent you didn't impress me and was supposed to be made by Friedman. To me it was cold and ear fatiguing compared to stock. it only had one part cut out and one or two other caps changed as you saw - what do you think?

-Angel

MasterOf1Angel said:
Hmmm... This could explain a lot. Might be jumping the gun here but you're the expert so... that scary I sent you didn't impress me and was supposed to be made by Friedman. To me it was cold and ear fatiguing compared to stock. it only had one part cut out and one or two other caps changed as you saw - what do you think?

-Angel

Angel, I have no idea. When I get modules in that are going to get modded anyways, I pretty much just verify everything works and then it gets stripped down like a prom date at midnight. :)

MasterOf1Angel said:

-Angel

That matches the physical description of the DF Scary module I had, however the tone on mine was great...a little bit more gain and high end compression than stock.

MasterOf1Angel said:

-Angel
That is EXACTLY the same mods I had in the Friedman modded Scary I once owned and I bought from the most honest of forum members, so it was verified and true.

Hate to say it, but all Dave's work I have seen is very subpar and I really think folks are just impressed with the name. His work is nowhere near the quality and creativity that many others here can offer. Say what you will, but it's a sad truth. You are paying $100 for almost no changes at all and nothing that even requires taking the module apart.

Very interesting. Good to know
Jaded Faith said:
MasterOf1Angel said:

-Angel
That is EXACTLY the same mods I had in the Friedman modded Scary I once owned and I bought from the most honest of forum members, so it was verified and true.

Hate to say it, but all Dave's work I have seen is very subpar and I really think folks are just impressed with the name. His work is nowhere near the quality and creativity that many others here can offer. Say what you will, but it's a sad truth. You are paying $100 for almost no changes at all and nothing that even requires taking the module apart.

I was a bit hot when I posted that, didn't want to sound like I was flaming.
But I stand behind it. I have done a lot of work on these modules and seen a lot of great and innovative work from other members (both those who offer their services and those who do not).

All I am saying is if I am spending $100 of hard earned cash, there are other places I can spend it. Did you think it coincidental that so many of his modules are going up for sale lately while many modders work is work is next to impossible to get used? That Scary module Angel described took $0.40 in parts and 2 minutes to mod. You bought a name and a sticker on the tube cage.

jesh, for a hundered bucks i got a bad@$$ scary. no sticker though. what gives?........LMAO

Jaded Faith said:
I was a bit hot when I posted that, didn't want to sound like I was flaming.
But I stand behind it. I have done a lot of work on these modules and seen a lot of great and innovative work from other members (both those who offer their services and those who do not).

All I am saying is if I am spending $100 of hard earned cash, there are other places I can spend it. Did you think it coincidental that so many of his modules are going up for sale lately while many modders work is work is next to impossible to get used? That Scary module Angel described took $0.40 in parts and 2 minutes to mod. You bought a name and a sticker on the tube cage.
I am with you on this Rob. I have had modules modded out by Pete, Dave you and a couple other guys. You can TELL THE DIFFERENCE in who puts the time and heart in the mods rather then just "whip them out'
I stand behind the guys that do this for the PASSION not the bucks!
PS.....your Recto mod is STILL KICKIN ***!!
8)
Dan in Michigan.....

but you may be right. I don't know if that was done by dave or not but I think got it from either jkd or rd/steve so you can bet as far as they knew it was a friedman mod. I hate to continue a flame thread but it seems as we're being honest I guess I'll share my thoughts. I had an ultra done by dave that he sent back with my mesa style knobs so tightly screwed in that it bent the pot shafts inward into the space so that they went on crooked. I tried to fix the first one and it broke off, so I left the others how they are and haven't used it since.

-Angel

MasterOf1Angel said:
I had an ultra done by dave that he sent back with my mesa style knobs so tightly screwed in that it bent the pot shafts inward into the space so that they went on crooked. I tried to fix the first one and it broke off, so I left the others how they are and haven't used it since.

Looks like I might not be sending my Brahma to him after all... This is most disturbing to hear.

Easy guys..... there are plenty of people also who are completely satisfied with the stuff that Dave has been doing too. I've had 4 modules modded by Dave and neither the work or tone has been sub-par at all.

It's not about the $1.40 in parts that may have been used, but more about the ear for tone that is required to use those parts properly. I'm paying Dave $100 to take a module and make it sound it's best, and in every case he has done exactly that. That service is worth $100 to me since I do not have the time to dick around with modding these things myself.

I can't explain the things that are being brought up here, but it certaibnly isn't going to prevent me from sending more modules to Dave.

Has anyone here brought these issues up with the man himself? He's always been a standup dude and I'm sure he would take care of you.

You got it........I have owned....every RANDALL MODULE.......
EVERY EGANTER MODULE........
and.....
I AM BACK FOR MORE!!
It Dont get better than the MTS!!
If you think different.......
Sell your amp....
We Will see you in a few months! :wink:

Mailman1971 said:
You got it........I have owned....every RANDALL MODULE.......
EVERY EGANTER MODULE........
and.....
I AM BACK FOR MORE!!
It Dont get better than the MTS!!
If you think different.......
Sell your amp....
We Will see you in a few months! :wink:
:lol: