Randall V2 Reverb problems.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3dblasphemy

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I just got a Randall V2 and I have a problem while using any reverb pedal.

I have tried Holy grial, Tc electronics, Boss... and all of them sound like cheap. Really bass-lack and a lot of noise in the background at Higer reverb volumes.

I have tried the Kisk hammet signature and the RH 150 and I have found the same problem. Am I missing something? Could you guys please help me?

THanks in advance!!!

Assuming you're not already, run the verb in the FX loop, that'll solve your problem as the loop comes after the pre-amp

Thanks for your quick answer El_Thwatez

I have already tried that and didn?t work.

I have tried several pedals and in several amps and I have found the same problem.

Tried different leads?

Could you clarify exactly what you're trying in what? It's probably best to nail what the problem is on 1 amp instead of 5. But since it does seem that you are getting the problem on all amps with all different setups, maybe you have a problem with your guitar or as i said just a second ago, lead...

OK sorry

I got a V2 Randall amp. I tried to use my Tc electronics reverb on it plugin in the front and then in the FXloop. I sounded cheap and really bad so I thought it was bc of the TC eloectronic. I tried then a Boss and the Holy grial pedals in the same way and they all sounded the same. Bad, without bass and really noisy.

I went to a music store and tried another pedals in a rh 150, and they did all the same thing. I moved to another store where they have a Kirk hammet edition, it is in fact more expensive than V2 so I tried the pedals there and I found the same problem.

What I would like to know is... Am I doing anything wrong? Should I do any kind of pre-proccess with a noise gate or similar? Why is this sounding so bad in all the Randall amps I have tried?

I have to say I love the sound Randall has but I need reverb for solos and I cannot find a solution to this problem.

BTW I have tried with a les paul, then a washburn and then a Dean. So it is not a Guitar problem.

Thanks in advance-

JJ

I would like to get advice for another users playing with a V2. I would like to know what Reverb are they using and how. Just curious.

The guy form the store told me that maybe it?s a problem of the Randall amps and they don?t sound ok with digital fx but, man, I cannot belive that. I would like to try with an analog reverb pedal but they are hard to find, at least here in Barcelona.

THANKS!!!!!

JJ

That guys talking some crap there, as long as the levels and impedances match correctly there should be no issue.

I use the T2 which is very similar to the V2 and I have no problem using the holy grail although obviously for it to sound at its best it has to be in the FX loop. Saying that, according to the technical spec of these amps and their FX loops, there would be an impedance match between the loop (line level) and the pedal (hi-Z) and so I am not sure why it still sounds great for me.

So you should double check that the pedals/rack units you are testing with do match impedances correctly - the TC unit (if its the rack one) should work fine with FX loop where as the pedals should not. Pedals will work fine straight after the guitar but the rack unit will not (except that reverb before the amps input sounds horrible all together so try and avoid it)

Short of that and different leads, try this setup with the holy grail.

Put it in the FX loop, with the loop send at 4ish, loop return at 7ish. Run the loop in parallel mode. Set the Holy Grail up at about 6 in spring reverb mode, play around with that until you find a comfortable setup and let us know how you get on.

The reason alot of reverbs being used sound cheap is that they are being used waaaaay too much.

OK Thanks so much.

I will try this as you are telling me.

Anyway, I am not using a lot of Rev. Anyway, when playing things like Gary more, you could want high rev levels. I don?t know why am I finding this problem. Honestly, I have had several amps already and I never seen anything like this.

Thanks a lot!!! I will try!

I've owned both the T2 and V2 and found that if the loop levels are too high it sounds terrible, very noisy. Start with the send and return levels at noon and turn the return level up if you need more signal...but not past around 2 - 3 o'clock. If you still need more FX signal, turn the send up a little if the return level starts to get up past 2 o'clock. It took a little tweeking for me to get it where it sounded best. I also found that the series loop sounded better than parallel. I had horrible phasing issues using parallel.

Greg

Hey gweb,

what do you run in your loop? I haven't experienced any phase issues with the exception of using my wah there as a sweep filter which works really well for that purpose if you sit the notch at the right freq's... I'm now using it to change the voicing for lead parts which works really well. I do run my send input below unity gain and the return above unity gain though so I guess the signal coming back from my loop has been changed so much by that point that there are no problems...

*what do you run in your loop?*

I was running a crappy Lexicon rack which was pretty much worthless for guitar, more of a vocal rack anyways. Ran a Line 6 POD live for a while too. Mostly I was using Boss and MXR pedals. They sounded great in series but nothing I used ever worked well for me in parallel.

Greg

Hey,

right, my loop is pretty odd... I run into

Korg DT10 -->Electroharmonix Hot Tubes -->Dan Electro Hash Brown Flanger --> Ibanez Weeping Demon --> Electro Harmonix Holy Grail -->Boss NS2

The main reason I started running in parallel is the Hot Tubes is so drastically different to the Randall but sounds so nice I wanted to blend the different distortions and then the rest relocated from front end signal chain because I have become very precious of the proper guitar signal... a few of those pedals are quite destructive. Its quite fun having your whole signal chain in the back end and it definitely leads for some interesting sounds, especially with the Wah...

Hi everybody and thanks a lot guys.

I really apreciate you rhelp!

I will try that settings today and will let you know.

Anyway I love to see what people uses and their thopught about different brands.

So thanks a million guys!!!

Hi there!!!

Well starting by El_Thwatez... THANKS everybody. You were right. I had no idea that send and return volumes could affect the rev that way man.

Everythign is working great now. I have tried several revs using as you told me and all of them worked fine!!!!

THanks man, now you can say that you know much more than the Randall spanish dealers!!!!

THANKS