MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amp mods part one
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstrat
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paintkilz wrote:
well would a OT swap help with the "sag" too...

thinkin OT change, and the 3 way C3 on the amp...

im lookin at VHT deliverance tight...if i can achieve it with the randall im happy, as i like the saturation alot more with it

There are also some tricks in the power supply you can do - not sure if the KH is doing it or not... I'll have some interesting stuff soon, I promise. Smile

Pete
paintkilz
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lookin forward to it
maximus1
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: tone Reply with quote

will this mod get some of the stiffness out of the amp and make it more saturated or gainy sounding?, at low volumes my amp sounds stiff and kinda weak gainwise but cranked up a bit it's alot gainier than it you would have expected. i know that a 100 watt amp has to be cranked to sound right but i was wondering if maybe i had too much bass to start with like the value of the cap on the chassis maybe being too high. do you know what i'm trying to say Wink

I don't think the amp is that stiff, personally... but changing that cap to a larger value will be something like a C3 swap on a module. Actually, the more bass you have in a module (with a larger say, C3 cap) the MORE gain you have too. It's like a funnel - the larger C3 values are wider mouthed, the smaller ones are more constrictive.

Might want to try changing the value of that cap on the amp to double or half and NOT use a switch - see if it makes a noticeable difference.

Only bad thing about drilling a hole in an amp is that it's not something you can go back on once you do it.

Pete
okstrat
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm, my response is the last half of Maximus' note above. I think it's time to backup the database! lol
maximus1
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: tone Reply with quote

guess i'll just have to try, its really only stiff at low volumes, which isn't really an accurate portrayal of the amp anyway. i can't believe some people say they are not getting enough bass out of it though. Shocked
okstrat
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: tone Reply with quote

maximus1 wrote:
guess i'll just have to try, its really only stiff at low volumes, which isn't really an accurate portrayal of the amp anyway. i can't believe some people say they are not getting enough bass out of it though. Shocked

As long as you swap out one part at a time (so you can accurately gauge the change) I'd say try it. Just be sure any parts you replace are ok voltage-wise.

Pete
riff man
RM100

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: tone Reply with quote

maximus1 wrote:
i can't believe some people say they are not getting enough bass out of it though. Shocked

they may be BASS players hiding as guitar players ...

there is tonne of bass on hand for the mts system imo...
Ulvo
RM20

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this cool thread. I?ve been thinking about upgrading the coupling caps in my amps lately, and any upgrades or mods I could do while I?m at it would be very welcome.
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: mod Reply with quote

very interesting. Thank you Pete. These are the kinds of things that really help us who aren't in the know and don't wanna send out a 72 pound combo to get a 50 dollar mod haha! I'm thinking that this is different than the c3 since as far as I know, the c3 allows the amount of bass into the gain stage, less makes it cleaner (this is why a lot of people use an eq in front of the distortion pedal to cut the low freqs and then one in front to boost again) I personally like that sound, especially for rythm. I deduce that if this is after the mods, it would compensate without changing harmonic content (very cool) but if it's in front, it probably would change the sound. Personally, I love a tight c3 and turning the density and bass up, giving me a clean tight big sound. I can see why people would want more bass, especially if they like the sound of el34's. When I turn up really loud, the mids tend to stick up and flatten out so a huge bottom is needed to maintain that deepness.

-Angel
type_o_neg
RM50

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Replaced the .1 cou;ling cap in my RM4 Reply with quote

This afternoon I replaced the .1 with a .047 in my RM4 I left the 22UF bypass cap in place until I have had time to put the RM4 thru its paces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
droptrd
RM100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any word on a kirk mod for the RM100?
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: rm100kh Reply with quote

Hey Pete,
It'd be really helpful if you could post what the mod is for the Kirk Hammett. I have a rm100 that I"m about to send back for a much pricier KH with mods that i'd have to sell so I'd rather do the mod if possible.

I was wondering if it's hard to do. I saw on the net that it's only 1 cap change? If that's true, then I'll just keep my rm100.

-Angel
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: rm100kh Reply with quote

Hey Pete,
It'd be really helpful if you could post what the mod is for the Kirk Hammett. I have a rm100 that I"m about to send back for a much pricier KH with mods that i'd have to sell so I'd rather do the mod if possible.

I was wondering if it's hard to do. I saw on the net that it's only 1 cap change? If that's true, then I'll just keep my rm100.

-Angel
okstrat
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had a chance to dig around on it yet... been doing modules Smile
Shinozoku
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about swapping out this couple cap on my amp, but just changing the brand to a Red Wima. Would this change the sound much like swapping to Orange Drops and Silver Micas would in a module?
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Gigmods Module Mods All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: