MTS Forum Forum Index
Discussion forum for Synergy, Egnater & Randall MTS Amps & Modules

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cables
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: love zaollas Reply with quote

I have zaollas which are really nice and hard to find. they are pure silver in the core. after using these in my randall, I can't stand the sound of monster cable rock!
MasterOf1Angel
RM50

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: love zaollas Reply with quote

I have zaollas which are really nice and hard to find. they are pure silver in the core. after using these in my randall, I can't stand the sound of monster cable rock!
khingpynn
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I'm all about the Monster Cables Studio Pro 1000's.

Yes they are expensive... but it's not like you will be buying them once a year... the warrantee is honored without the reciept... thats what they are telling me here anyways.

The Monster Rock Guitar cables are not even comparable to the SP 1000's. If I was going wit hanything else it would Zaola ( another great cable ) they too are expensive and hard to find.

Monster Cables are easy to find here in Calgary anyways.

Anyone that has used them will tell you theres no going back.

Clarity across the freq spectrum and a very hot signal... I hadto back all my gain's off a couple of points ince i started using them.

I have completely changed out my rig... gtr to pedalboard loop between all pedals out to amp head to both cabs.

Craig
droptrd
RM100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready for another batch of bulk cable. Just ordered some Gepco XB20 and Switchcraft connectors. Ive used Gepco before but have never used the X Band series wich is suposed to be better than their regular low cap cable that i have used in the past. Im excited to try something new.
bhuard75
RM100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you getting the bulk cable from? the Gepco XB20 and switch craft connectors offer better quality than a monster rock cable?

i'm interested in building some custom cables as my 22 month old adopted german sheperd seemed to bite the monster cable mentioned earler into 7 pieces in less than a minute. this was a $70 cable.
droptrd
RM100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy my stuff from full compass. There are mixed reviews on Monster's cable. But, their connectors suck IMO. The regular low cap gepco wire is pretty good. the x-band is better. I feel this will be way better than monster cable. I know the canare GS6 cable ive been using is better sounding and more reliable than the moster too.
Tube Head
RM100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Im not using my wireless I use a Canare GS6 with G+h ends. It sounds great and is trouble free.
droptrd
RM100

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did some testing on my new cables I made. I like the Gepco alot. But I honestly cant tell the difference between it and the canare GS6. But it was cheaper than the canare this time around so in the future Ill just watch the sales on the two.

I have some cables my bass player has left layin around my place. A 21' monster Rock($50), a 15' cheapo GC (?$$), and a 15' high end proco lifelines cable ($26). I did a sound test and a restistance test on all of them and compared them to one of my older canare 15 footers with neutrik ends and one of my new gepco 15 footers with switchcraft ends each built for less than 20 bucks each. I have no way to test capacitance.

Sound test -
Gepco and Canare - identical. Full rage, clear and loud
Monster - Slightly boxy sounding. A little dull and thin
Cheapo GC - quiet, dull, thin and a poor playing response.
Proco - Good volume, slightly dull on the top but not bad

Resistance Test
Gepco and Canare - 0.0
Monster - 0.6
Cheapo GC - 0.4
Proco - 0.3

Overall - the gepco and canare won hands down. I wouldnt us the guitar center cable even if it was free. The monster Rock cable, while not super horible, for $50 puts it near the bottom of my list. The proco was ok and the price was ok too - but I dont think its worth more than 12 bucks.
okstrat
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a recording of canare vs the Gepco - the Gepco had a tiny bit more high end when you compared the waveforms.

+ for Canare - available in different colors, which I think is cool

+ for Gepco - doesn't seem to get kinked up as easily

Either one is a great cable imho. I like the G&H ends too. Both *slaughtered* the $19.99 GC 20' cord I bought for comparison.

Pete
Shinozoku
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting his very helpful thread to inquire about speaker wire.

When I get a job this summer I plan on making my own Gepco/Switchcraft cables and wanted to know what the ideal gauge/format for guitar speaker cables would be. I came across this and it looks about right...
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/385465.html
Edwards E-AL-128 with a Seymour Duncan JB
Daryl
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: love zaollas Reply with quote

MasterOf1Angel wrote:

+1
My rig is wired up with all Zaolla Silverline cable.
When it comes to cable, however, it is not nearly as critical an issue if you are running active electronics. Actives pickups output a low impedence signal that will not degrade hardly at all over long cable runs and multiple boxes.
It almost doesn't matter what the cable is made of either. Check out this demo where they actually use a 20 year old 100' extension cord and get pretty much the same sound as with the premium cable. It's called the redeemer circuit, but it really is just the equivalent active electronics. You can do the same experiment with active EMGs or Duncan Blackouts in a pinch.
Here's the demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5tbkwXX054
Passive pickups make the happy magic happen with premium cables.
okstrat
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinozoku wrote:

When I get a job this summer I plan on making my own Gepco/Switchcraft cables and wanted to know what the ideal gauge/format for guitar speaker cables would be. I came across this and it looks about right...

I use what Ken Fischer (trainwreck amps) used - extension cords. Smile

Pete
Daryl
Lynch Box

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinozoku wrote:

Check this out Shino...
You are a notorious DIYer. I'm going to try this out myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ZecDs0GI4&feature=relatedi
Here's the cable hook up.
http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/Speaker/
wesarvin
RM100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build all of my cabling for my studio using parts from Redco. For guitar, I have Canare GS-6 and Mogami, both w/ Neutrik connectors. The mogami sounds a bit more open, and the Canare has more midrange. For straight up rock guitar, I prefer the Canare, and for everything else, I prefer the Mogami.

I will recommend no matter what you do, is to put a Neutrik silent plug on all of the cables. They've been lifesavers (especially when an acoustic is plugged into a DI with a big PA).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MTS Forum Forum Index -> Gigmods Module Mods All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: