KH-Eww?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decerto

Reaction score
A while back I bought the entire KH set, mostly because I knew based on reviews and clips that there was no cleaner sound in the KH-1, and the 2 and 3 were obviously gonna be pretty high gain monsters. I also read on here that the general consensus was that the KH-3 was the best stock high gain module... Well, now I've noticed tunes have changed, unless I've been reading things wrong, which is very likely. Now apparently the KH-2 is among the best stock gain monsters, along with the 1086. Well, having dialed in my 3 for rhythm, I was loving the tone, but something was missing - And seeing what was recently being said, I tried dialing in my 2 for rhythm, and I honestly cannot get a single good rhythm sound out of it. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here, but no matter what, it just sounds flubby and wussy compared to the KH-3. If I dial the gain back a bit, it clears the flubbiness up, but at the same time increases the wussiness of it. I'm not a pedal guy, so I don't plan on putting any pedals on the module, though I would consider trading it for a 1086 if it is indeed as kickass as what I've read and heard - Or even one of the post 2007 SL+ modules with the stock 800 mod. Any insight into this? Anything I should try before I make any final decisions?

You guys rock! :)

What settings do you use on the KH-3 for rhythm, and with what pickups? I can't say that I've been enjoying that module at all.

The KH2 is a little flubby in teh low end, if it stil has the ruby tubes in there, take them out and put something with a tighter low end. I really like the ruby tubes, but I notice they tend to make the low end a little darker and thicker. Also, dial back teh bass on that module. Its smoother and looser for sure, but I like it that way.

KH-2 is a tubby mess but it improves with volume a little...I put the bass at 10-to 10:30 o'clock on mine and you can always tubescreamer it..I thought about modding c3 but then I think it would just sound like an anemic KH-3 :D

KH-3 and Grail are still my top 2 for stock modules.

Tone is in the ears of the beholder :D

Seriously reconsider the no pedal philisophy. I find these mods (stock) should not be pushed passed 2 o'clock on the gain-& then you need an OVERDRIVE pedal to get the hi gainsound- pedal dialed in with a slight gain, level boosted...ZW od, fulltone ocd, not a distortion pedal

The 1086 wont give any more gain in your setup than the kh2
The kh3 is an anomoly in that it's one of the few that don't always need a boost

The SL800 is ok on it's own at Loud levels- but needs a clean boost at moderate volumes

crankyrayhanky said:
Seriously reconsider the no pedal philisophy. I find these mods (stock) should not be pushed passed 2 o'clock on the gain-& then you need an OVERDRIVE pedal to get the hi gainsound- pedal dialed in with a slight gain, level boosted...ZW od, fulltone ocd, not a distortion pedal

The 1086 wont give any more gain in your setup than the kh2
The kh3 is an anomoly in that it's one of the few that don't always need a boost

The SL800 is ok on it's own at Loud levels- but needs a clean boost at moderate volumes

It's not that I'm looking for "more" gain, it's that I'm looking for clearer or cleaner gain. And the KH-2 is just a really sloppy sound to me.

iekobrid said:
What settings do you use on the KH-3 for rhythm, and with what pickups? I can't say that I've been enjoying that module at all.

Gain - 2 OC
Bass - 1 OC
Mid - 10:30
Treb - 2:30

EMG 81/85, but sometimes Blackouts, it sounds better with Blackouts.

Also, I've been pretty much maxing out the volume on the module, then easing in the master. I'm not sure which way I like better, but this way helps me keep it a little more "bedroom level" and even.

What bass cap is in the KH-2?

And has anybody compared the Pete Modded KH-2 to the originial? I imagine it would improve the clarity (duh :p) and help the flubbiness.

What cab and such you use will effect it. Like I said, if you havn't, try some different tubes that will brighten it up just a tad and tighten that low end, the stock ruby tubes DO NOT help with the tub on that module. Its loose on teh bottom, but like I said, I kinda like it that way, its not really a tight palm muting module, I like it for leads and chorded rythm, and it actually works very well with the gain turned down.

Shinozoku said:

And has anybody compared the Pete Modded KH-2 to the originial? I imagine it would improve the clarity (duh :p) and help the flubbiness.

Never modded a 2, but I have done a few 3s.

Pete

okstrat said:
Shinozoku said:

Pete

Thoughts about what your new mod might do to help with the KH-2?

It made the bass more immediate and punchy on that Recto :D

Decerto said:
Gain - 2 OC
Bass - 1 OC

Also, I've been pretty much maxing out the volume on the module, then easing in the master. I'm not sure which way I like better, but this way helps me keep it a little more "bedroom level" and even.

Is that with the RM100-KH? Whereabouts do you like the Presence and Density knobs?

iekobrid said:
Decerto said:
Gain - 2 OC
Bass - 1 OC

Is that with the RM100-KH? Whereabouts do you like the Presence and Density knobs?

No, RM100C. I've got them both at 3 OC.

Decerto said:

this might be your problem, dude! Try maxing the Master on the amp, bring up the Gain on the KH2, and control the volume with your Level on the module.
and do an 18V mod on the EMG :D

tung said:
Decerto said:

this might be your problem, dude! Try maxing the Master on the amp, bring up the Gain on the KH2, and control the volume with your Level on the module.
and do an 18V mod on the EMG :D

Tried that, it's just as bad... And I already gots the 18v mod. :p

I've been looking around and listening to more stuff, and I know clips don't do justice. But I think I'm leaning more towards a PeteRecto if I can't get this sounding how I want. I need a few more 1086 references though, because I'd like to hear more of that. Is it any tighter than the KH-2?

okstrat said:
Shinozoku said:

Pete
Huh, thought I heard somebody say something about getting a modded 2. Might have just modded the bass cap themselves or something.

Anywho, I'd love to hear the 2 modded :D

I need a few more 1086 references though, because I'd like to hear more of that. Is it any tighter than the KH-2?

It is tighter, easily the tightest module stock
To me that didn't equal good...if you like the general character, be the first to get a Pete KH2!

Decerto said:
tung said:
Decerto said:
I need a few more 1086 references though, because I'd like to hear more of that. Is it any tighter than the KH-2?

I can let you know in couple days when I get my KH-2, I'll run it side by side and AB it with the 1086.
I never liked the 1086 until I put in TAD 6L6s in my RM50, to my ears that really kicked the module into tone greatness. It sounded ok with the E34L in my RM100, but a little too ordinary, nothing to get excited about, but with the 6L6 it reacts totally diferent with more tighter bass, bigger clarity and nice round bloominess to the mids.

Julia said:
have you considered a hot plate and using an equalizer in the serial loop? That really helps.

Costs too much for me right now. Either replacing the tubes or trading outright are the best options for me right now. Also a friend of mine has my treadplate at the moment, and he's planning on getting the pete mod done to it, if he doesn't like it he'll sell it back to me for a fair price, and then I'll just sell the kh-2. Unless I find a better solution before then.

tung said:
I can let you know in couple days when I get my KH-2, I'll run it side by side and AB it with the 1086.
I never liked the 1086 until I put in TAD 6L6s in my RM50, to my ears that really kicked the module into tone greatness. It sounded ok with the E34L in my RM100, but a little too ordinary, nothing to get excited about, but with the 6L6 it reacts totally diferent with more tighter bass, bigger clarity and nice round bloominess to the mids.

I was never a fan of 6L6's, I use Groove Tube EL34-M's myself, but I can't wait to hear it. Both your KH-2 and 1086 are stock correct?