BBE sonic stomp

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xspiderfingersx

Reaction score
Whats the best way to run this pedal with the rm100? I'm having trouble getting it to be a noticable change in tone quality through the front of the head and im an effects loop retard.

Help me. I feel as though i've wasted 100 bucks haha.

-dave.

p.s. Im also running a 535q wah, Boss Ns-2 noise gate and a tuner

The best way that I found was to get rid of the sonic stomp and go with the 428i in your f/x loop. You will find the sound much improved

im sticking with the pedal i think because i've heard it do a lot of good for my rig before when i used someones in my loop, but i dont remember how he put it through;

Hehe :lol: dude i thought the same thing after i bought it....I have both the 482 and the xpression and to tell u the truth neither are hooked up to my rm100....i'm a bedroom jammer so maybe that's why i haven't heard the noticeable difference others talk about+i play in eb so i don't get any muddiness outta my head by itself...they are good furniture as of now
The most noticeable difference will be when u hook it to the serial loop with the corresponding (bbe) output--> IN (rm100) and OUT (rm100) to input (bbe). Just watch out with the amount of process you put in....you can make the sound really harsh really quick....I can hear a little bit of difference but i'm glad i bought it used...Maybe someone can chime in if they had better results...
Mike

I ran the BBE Sonic Stomp through the effects loop on my RM 100, Mesa Dual Recto, and Bogner Uberschall. Didn't really like it with any of those amps, they all sounded better without it. I sold the BBE on E-Bay :)
Initially I tried it through the front of the RM100 but it was better through the loop.

The deal with the BBE Sonic Stomp is that it makes most difference with an non good sounding amp...
On an amp that from the start sound good/fat/punchy it does little effect..

From what I know is that you get some more pronounced effect using it with your amp on a bigger stage, you stand further away from the amp than usually.
And then the BBE somehow spread the sound better?!
At least that's the feeling..
In the studio close to the amp it does very little..

I def noticed a difference at my show tonight and it was a larger venue; but it was going through the front of the head.

THe only reason i was so stoked on one was when i tried one a few months back it was an amazing difference, but i also had a cab i was unhappy with at the time.

Some more experimenting and then possibly back to guitar center for a reverb or delay haha

-dave[/list]

I think it does depend on your amp and cabinet like burner said. I read somewere that a good speaker cabinet will have a sonic maximization. I tried out the sonic stomp and found it to be very noisy, but it didn't seem to do much when I used it up front and in the FX loop. It also had incredible tone suck in the fx loop. So I unloaded it and got the 428i. It does wounders for my RM50 combo and it doesn't take much process to do it. I keep my low contour at 9 o'clock and my process at 11 o'clock

I've used quality cabinets (Zinky, Mesa, Genz Benz) and every time, the Sonic Stomp made a noticable improvement with my RM50. It sounded poor in the front of the amp, but great in the loop. Both knobs at 6:00-7:00.

Yeah so i got rid of it. It sounded cool last night, but my amp sounds good usually either way. I bought a compressor instead haha

Personally I've never liked the BBE stuff for distorted stuff. Based on what I've heard, I think it would quickly make the amp sound like a POD or a distortion pedal. BBE's IME are a great bandaid for when stuff is FUBAR, but there are usually other ways to correct those problems and get better results.

They sound kinda cool on clean sounds though if you want that crystaline ice princess sorta sound.

I only still own my old BBE 462 because it's worth more as a doormat than what one could actually sell it for. Besides, you never know when you may need that color bandaid ;)

I still own my old BBE 422 (Rackmount) which I bought new back in the late 80's. I have not tried it with my Randall RM100 but I'm guessing the 422 would sound better than the BBE Sonic Stomp, it was impressive back then. I just don't really feel I need a BBE right now with any of my three amps (RM100, Dual Rec, Uberschall). I did however just add a T-Rex Room Mate reverb pedal to my board and that thing is incredible :)

it was a pointless piece of gear honestly; i liked it the first time because it would correct the lack of mids i was getting from the head with my marshall cab, but now that i have my framus it was pointless. The compressor gives me a bit more heat and gives me a fatter clean response too, its here to stay.

Reverb is actually next though. I was really impressed with the marshall reflector actually. Same features are the boss for the most part with a very similar sound.

Weird how alot of people are not like the BBE stomp. I have it and use it alot with my high gain modules running with my DOD Yngwie Overdrive Pedal (<--this pedal really tightens up the sound) and I am really impressed with alot of the tone I get for most of the high gain modules.

Grant it, the only high gain module that the BBE doesn't sound too great with is my Modern module - it just seems to really cut that modules tone from what I am liking.

I'm also running it through the back of the amp - when I tried the front of the amp there was very very minimal effect with the pedal - but the rear of the amp is a world's of difference.

In my opinion - it is just a nice additive that doesn't cost too much to help add a tighter tone for the higher modules. It doesn't work too well with the lower gain/cleaner modules in my opinion.

For under $100 it does a good job of helping to change the articulation and attack for most of my modules - I haven't regretted buying one of these.

I use the xtc module and v-30s and i set my sound up for mids, so tightness is really not a big factor for me, so it just didnt make much sense

That's cool -

To each their own I guess. I'm not saying it is the end all of pedals - I just like the addition it makes in my setup - especially when I run it with my DOD Yngwie pedal - the tone I get with those combined is pretty amazing.

When I say tight - it's not just in regards to like a tight attack - it is overall a tightening in the overall response with the module and my playing. Especially in the high gain modules. I admit, just the DOD can do wonders minus the BBE, but when I add the BBE for most of the high gain modules - it makes a pretty big difference and can really beef up the tone and articulation alot.

Just playing one of these modules stock is pretty good, but when you have been playing as long as I have and I'm sure alot of others on this board (especially with mixing and matching pedals, effects, racks and other gadgets) - you come up with certain items that you use that really help your tone move to that next level - and believe it or not these two pedals do an amazing job. I suggest trying them in line with each other if you get a chance. That DOD Yngwie is one of the best kept secrets I've run across in the last few years. I never run my rig without it now. You'll find out that once you've tried different approaches that work for you - you'll wonder why you just played certain amps or guitars stock - if that makes sense to anyone else but me :p

Hey xspiderfingersx, I was considering the Marshall Reflector pedal for reverb too. I decided to wait for the release of the T-Rex Room Mate however which I just got a couple days ago. Granted the T-Rex is a lot more expensive but if you are after really high end stuff, the T-Rex is awesome! Great sound and no noise. I'm playing in a band and noisy pedals just drive me crazy so I have slowly sold off my standard pedals and replaced them with high end ones. There is a huge difference.

I used to use a BBE once in a while. At first it's like "Wow, like taking a blanket off the speakers" yadda yadda yadda, but then I just got tired of it. It was inorganic sounding and added some awful sizzle and things that I really just didn't like. Give me the tubes, baby.