Grail crushes Treadplate

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you elaborate a bit? I haven't used the Tread Plate, but I'm actually finding my Grail to be somewhat wimpy sounding. Yes, it's tight and clear, but it can't compete with my (later-model) SL+ for metal leads and rhythms. Even running the gain wide open and boosting it with an overdrive doesn't give me the super-heavy, Mesa-style sound I was expecting. Maybe I got a dud...?

Thanks.

a tube can make a difference.

I was trying different 12ax7's in my 1086 yesterday and I stuck a TungSol in v1 and the module just died, had no drive at all. Then I stuck a Mesa in and now it sounds great. Not sure if the TungSol was bad or just weak but it went in the trash. I haven't much luck with TungSol 12ax7's, lots of bad ones, every once in a while a good one.

I like the tighter mid punch and note definition.Not as saggy as treadplate.I also have an SL+ for more OD if I need it.Grail sounds less grainy than treadplate in my opinion.I,ve owned a road king for last 5 years and its great for rectified sound but never tight enough bottom for my taste.Grail gives me mesa mojo just tighter and thats what I like.If your looking for juicier rectified tone treadplate might be for you.Hope that helps.

I don't have any spare 12AX7s lying around, or I might try swapping them around. Then again, my Grail came stock with JJs, which I've had good experiences with in the past.

Sounds like I either need to try the Tread Plate or have my Grail modified for more gain/bass. Does anyone have experience with the latter modifications?

Thanks again for the input.

Assume you've verified everything on the module is working correctly....

Change c3 for an Orange Drop 1000pf....that's all, don't you dare touch anything else :D

The Grail has more mids than the Recto, Rectified and Treadplate I believe...so you can scoop 'em more if you must ;)

Oh and the Rectifier style modules love the 12ax7 c9 tubes.

I'll have to try that. Is swapping the C3 a pretty straightforward operation? I'm not all that adept at soldering, and I'd hate to toast the module.

Also, what do you mean by "C9" tubes? Is this a certain type of 12AX7?

Rising Farce said:
I'll have to try that. Is swapping the C3 a pretty straightforward operation? I'm not all that adept at soldering, and I'd hate to toast the module.

Also, what do you mean by "C9" tubes? Is this a certain type of 12AX7?
Its just 2 solder points. Do you have any buddies that can solder? I takes only a few minutes.

The C9's are the Shuguang or "chinese" 9th generation 12ax7's. check this out.
http://www.dougstubes.com/12ax7.html

OK, great. I'll throw the tubes in myself and see if I can get someone more skilled to handle the soldering work. Hopefully those changes will give me the raunchier sound I'm after.

Thanks again for all the info.