Eminence Lynch Super V Speakers Versus Vintage 30's ???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insightibanez

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to invest in some speakers but I'm on the fence on which ones to get. Can anybody give some Pros or Cons on both or recommend one over the other? -Thanks

As far as I know, the Super V's will have a richer, fuller bottom end and softer highs that don't pierce, but can still cut in the mix.

V30's are the classic, but can have ice pick-y highs.

I have Marshall 4x12 with v30s and also a mesa oversized 2x12 with v30s
I read these speakers get criticized sometimes, but they sound good to me, and there's a long history of lots of pros using them

I may sell 2 or 4 of them to get ZW EVs, just for variety sake ...so if you're looking for v30s, we can work out Arizona deal

all are 16ohms

We can meet in Sedona!

crankyrayhanky said:
I have Marshall 4x12 with v30s and also a mesa oversized 2x12 with v30s
I read these speakers get criticized sometimes, but they sound good to me, and there's a long history of lots of pros using them

I may sell 2 or 4 of them to get ZW EVs, just for variety sake ...so if you're looking for v30s, we can work out Arizona deal

all are 16ohms

We can meet in Sedona!

Sounds good P.M. sent!!!!! :D

I have a LB cabinet. (all nice and broken in....) Its really the best sounding Ive heard. Your welcome to come by and check it out (Tempe) if you like.....

As far as I know, the Super V's will have a richer, fuller bottom end and softer highs that don't pierce, but can still cut in the mix.

V30's are the classic, but can have ice pick-y highs.

That says it right there... also the break up point is similar to a Greenback... diferent but similar with a softer chimey high and nowoody mids.
Super V's are far more complex. Vintage 80's sound "harder" and don't break up that much.

I HAVE GONE THRU SO MANY DIFFRENT SPEAKERS. THE SUPER V's ARE BETTER , BETTER LIVE AND BETTER RECORDING. IF YOU WANT TO SPEND 300.00 a SPEAKER GO WITH ZAKK WYLDE EV12L BUT BETTER GET THAT HEAD MODDED..

I know a guy with a 1960A loaded with eninence "Swamp Thang's" He has a TSL and it sounds rippin.

I'm waiting on a lynch box 100w head to arrive.

I have a quad load with v30's and greenbacks in an x arrangement.
My question is I've heard that Georges cabinet sounds awesome, and i would assume his modules would have been designed and tone tested thru this cabinet.
Trouble is i would have to sell my cab to purchase Georges cab.

Thing is I'm not typically searching for George's tone , just Like everyone else trying to get the best tone available from this rig.

I'm going with a Blackface,Plexi and Grail to start with as far as modules go

Anyone shed any light on this ?

surreal said:
I'm waiting on a lynch box 100w head to arrive.

I have a quad load with v30's and greenbacks in an x arrangement.
My question is I've heard that Georges cabinet sounds awesome, and i would assume his modules would have been designed and tone tested thru this cabinet.
Trouble is i would have to sell my cab to purchase Georges cab.

Thing is I'm not typically searching for George's tone , just Like everyone else trying to get the best tone available from this rig.

I'm going with a Blackface,Plexi and Grail to start with as far as modules go

Anyone shed any light on this ?
IMHO, The Lynch cab is just more musically rich than other cabs. A LP, Plexi Module, a 808 style boost and a LB cab is the thickest tone....

however as with anything, YMMV :lol:

Just my two cents...

I've used Vintage 30's and they are great. agressive upper mids, nice tight lower mids, the highs can be a little harsh but thats amp/guitar dependant and can be dialed out most times.

I was a Greenback user for years, nice vocal like mids, excellent top, don't expect a huge bottom, excellent tone from speaker breakup.
There is that signature mid hump... love it or hate it. Personally love it for lead work but not my cup of tea for rythm.

I've tried X patterns, offset patterns, mixed speaker size, you name it. At one point I owned over two dozen different speakers of various make and size.

IMHO the Super V is the benchmark for a great speaker. I use them exclusivly. Every amp I own sounds better with them.

Extended tight bottoms with NO mud, perfect lower mids, well focused upper mids right in the sweet spot ( no mid hump like the Greenback ), and perfect highs that never go harsh, the breakup from the speaker is second to none... sweeter than a greenback with excellent high end sparkle. For a high wattage speaker they break up early.
Very touch responsive to dynamics. A very true speaker that you simply can not hide behind.

To my ears the Super V does something no other speaker I've heard does. It can be agressive yet sweet, equally great at rythm and lead tones, clean to barely breaking up, mid to high gain. When pushed and pummeled with high gain most "pretty" speakers just go to mud the Super V's just lap it up and pushes the tone over the top... not compressing to much and maitaining an open sound.

They are a well conceived nock off of a Fane speaker and I feel this just goes to show what a great ear George Lynch has.

Yup I'm all about the Super V.

thanks alot guys ,
I'll try my box and then probably end up swapping out the speakers one by one for the Super V's.

One thing is Georges box says it's oversize and ported, anyone know where you can get the port dimensions, or how to work out the port size for the box dimensions?

khingpynn said:
Just my two cents...

I've used Vintage 30's and they are great. agressive upper mids, nice tight lower mids, the highs can be a little harsh but thats amp/guitar dependant and can be dialed out most times.

I was a Greenback user for years, nice vocal like mids, excellent top, don't expect a huge bottom, excellent tone from speaker breakup.
There is that signature mid hump... love it or hate it. Personally love it for lead work but not my cup of tea for rythm.

I've tried X patterns, offset patterns, mixed speaker size, you name it. At one point I owned over two dozen different speakers of various make and size.

IMHO the Super V is the benchmark for a great speaker. I use them exclusivly. Every amp I own sounds better with them.

Extended tight bottoms with NO mud, perfect lower mids, well focused upper mids right in the sweet spot ( no mid hump like the Greenback ), and perfect highs that never go harsh, the breakup from the speaker is second to none... sweeter than a greenback with excellent high end sparkle. For a high wattage speaker they break up early.
Very touch responsive to dynamics. A very true speaker that you simply can not hide behind.

To my ears the Super V does something no other speaker I've heard does. It can be agressive yet sweet, equally great at rythm and lead tones, clean to barely breaking up, mid to high gain. When pushed and pummeled with high gain most "pretty" speakers just go to mud the Super V's just lap it up and pushes the tone over the top... not compressing to much and maitaining an open sound.

They are a well conceived nock off of a Fane speaker and I feel this just goes to show what a great ear George Lynch has.

My thoughts to the T....... This guy has some time with the Super V....

i've heard the LB in person several times and the Cab/S V speaker's just rip.. it's huge sounding... but remember this ..that Lynch box is oversized and ported to a certian degree.. that plays a roll as well ...

that being said i blast my music through a XL cab loaded with V30's and think they are the sex!!! and i don't get any kind of "ice pick highs" that some speak of.. but then again .. i've broke my cab/speakers in super hard over the last 2 yrs or more ..that could be a difference as well ... ...just saying....

E>T.

riff man said:
that being said i blast my music through a XL cab loaded with V30's and think they are the sex!!! and i don't get any kind of "ice pick highs" that some speak of.. but then again .. i've broke my cab/speakers in super hard over the last 2 yrs or more ..that could be a difference as well ... ...just saying....

E>T.
That being said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Hellatone 60s...It's the same speaker except the Hellatone is broken in somewhat, so it sounds good right out of the gate and it's less expensive ($99).

Avatar gets them from Celestion, sticks their decal on the back, breaks them in and then charges you less than most stores sell the Celestion for.

I have a question about this:
How do the Super V's do with clean tones?

If I look at the characteristics mentioned here I'd say it would handle clean pretty well, is that right?

They should handle everything pretty well, man. I'm actually thinkin about snagging some for my Vader cab, or even just seeing if I could get my local shop to order me a LB 2x12 and do a trade-in.

EDIT: Well hell! It appears that the LB 2x12 is discontinued... That's lame :( Well, only thing I can do is ask folks who own it..What are the dimensions of this cab? Better yet, what are the INTERIOR dimensions? I need to compare it to what I have from the Framus Cobra before I build my dream cab :p

SuicideCircus said:
khingpynn said:
Just my two cents...

My thoughts to the T....... This guy has some time with the Super V....

Hey thanks for the props... super V's are great speakers... I also hear George is doing a 50 watt greenback with celetion...