Randall MTS rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camitchell

Reaction score
Hi,

I just discovered this forum and think it's great. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the module mods soon. In the meantime, here is a picture of my rig based on two RM4s and a RT2/50. Although I currently use two 1x12 Mesa Boogie Thiele cabinets instead of the 4x12s.

guitar1rig.jpg

Thanks for all the positive replies! I'll try to answer some of the questions....

Yes, it is a bit heavy. A funny story, I used to use two 5150 heads and came across the Randall MTS when I was looking around for a wider variety of tone options. I thought one side benefit might be that it would be much easier and lighter to deal with but now with two RM4s and the RT2/50 in one rack it is way heavier than what I started with....

but hey, now I have eight amps! LOL!

I drive a 4 Runner so I just roll the bottom rack up to the back, put a towel over the bumper and pivot it up into the back and slide it in. It actually works quite nicely. After lugging around the 4x12 cabs, the 1x12s I use now are a non-issue. I was surprised at how good the 1x12s sounded too. I should clairfy that there are two separate racks in the picture. The top one has the RM4s and the RT2/50. The bottom one the effects.

It goes back and forth to band practice several times a week. I did custom wiring for the racks and I can be set up and playing in under 5 minutes. My friends still make fun of me for carting it all around, but it's worth it to me.

As far as what's in the rack....

I am running the following modules (2 Cleans, 2 Browns, Plexi, XTC, Tweed, Top Boost) I'm looking forward to trying out some of the new ones soon.

Ensoniq DP4 (very old multi effects unit)
2 TC D-Two delay units
Filter Factory
Axon Midi Controller
Roland Fantom XR
2 Echoplexes
Valverb spring reverb/tremelo
Sound Sculpture Switchblade GL (switching system)

I can't say enough good things about the Switchblade GL. Everything is wired into that and I can reconfigure the entire rack with one press of the All Access foot controller. It's a pretty amazing thing once you see what is possible with it. Ken at Sound Sculpture is just a super awesome person as well.

The All Access pedalboard controls the rack. The two pedals are expression pedals and I can fade effects (or whatever) in and out of the mix with them using the Switchblade. I'm pretty happy with the All Access and especially the fact it can be powered with a 7 pin midi cable from the RM4. Way to go Randall on that one. The one downside is that when you switch presets, the expression pedals change too even if you have not moved them. That can be good or bad depending on what you want, but I would prefer them to work more like the FCB1010.

The FCB1010 is used to control the Echoplexes. It's a great pedalboard and a bargain for the price. However, my rack got a bit beyond it's capabilities midiwise to control so I picked up the All Access. It is perfect for the Echoplexes however.

Anyway, I have really fallen in love with playing in stereo and having two different signal chains, delays, amps, tones, etc and mixing them together. I realize it's not for everyone but I enjoy being able to experiment and try out new textures and sounds.

Hope this answers some of the questions.

Rpedgeeooz said:
That's a SICK rig. I wanna see some up close stuff on the rack gear.

Here ya go.... an older picture with a slightly different mix of gear

guitarrig2.jpg

Tube Head said:
Holy crap!! Nice setup. What kind of music are you playing?

Thanks! As far as music, anything goes. Whatever fits the mood. I'm much more of a textural player however and like playing in a band.

Nice Royer on the speaker cab! In the corner, that looks like a Neve 1073-ish preamp copy, maybe Chandler... mmmm sweet 8)

The Randall stuff rocks but it all gets captured by the mic and preamp...

drunton said:
Nice Royer on the speaker cab! In the corner, that looks like a Neve 1073-ish preamp copy, maybe Chandler... mmmm sweet 8)

The Randall stuff rocks but it all gets captured by the mic and preamp...

The Royer on a speaker cab is a beautiful thing. :) For the record, the preamp is a Daking (w/ EQ) A nice preamp but it did not knock me out for this application.

is that the custom shop venus? im interested in a little more info on that guitar. i remember hating how awesome they looked and being bummed that they were associated with courtney love haha

-dave

xspiderfingersx said:
is that the custom shop venus? im interested in a little more info on that guitar. i remember hating how awesome they looked and being bummed that they were associated with courtney love haha

-dave

I don't think it's the custom shop version. Those had a different pick up configuration. Although I have changed all the electronics in mine. I actually have two Venuses, the black one and a seafoam green one. They both sound different. I am quite fond of the black one which I picked up for a whopping $150 on ebay. They were both built at the Fender factory in Japan which had a very good reputation apparently.

I also have a Washburn P3 custom shop. I've had some staying in tune issues with it (Buzz Fietien system/very thin neck) but after several trips to the guitar shop I'm starting to get it straightened out. I'm looking out towards my next guitar, something with the feel of the Venus but a little thicker tone and better harmonics. I have no idea what it will be.

Courtney Love. I thought it was funny too. What could be more punk rock than taking her guitar, putting a midi pick up on it and playing it through a big rack system? Punk the punks! Ha!

Fender japan factory makes great guitars. Tokai gaki i think has a hand in it or owns it i think, i forget how it works; but all of my fender style guitars are customized tokais and they sound better and feel better then most fenders and fender styled guitars ive ever played

xspiderfingersx said:
Fender japan factory makes great guitars. Tokai gaki i think has a hand in it or owns it i think, i forget how it works; but all of my fender style guitars are customized tokais and they sound better and feel better then most fenders and fender styled guitars ive ever played

I've been looking at the Tokais. I've heard very good things about them, pretty much in line with what you just said. For those interested, here some pics from today of my current set up. The 1x12s are much easier to cart around. Someone wanted a close up of the rack as well.

guitarrig3.jpg

closeup2rig.jpg

VERY nice setup there sir! I have a Mesa Thiele 1x12 that I was planning on selling now that I have my EarCandy cabs, but the more I think about it, it would be a waste! It's one of the latest ones that included the ORIGINAL EVM12-L 200 watt speakers. It sounds fantastic (much better than the 300 watt speaker cabs IMO) and I think I'm just going to hold onto it! My power amp SHOULD be here tomorrow! M4 + VHT 2/50/2 = match made in heaven! 8)

guitarguy510 said:
VERY nice setup there sir! I have a Mesa Thiele 1x12 that I was planning on selling now that I have my EarCandy cabs, but the more I think about it, it would be a waste! It's one of the latest ones that included the ORIGINAL EVM12-L 200 watt speakers. It sounds fantastic (much better than the 300 watt speaker cabs IMO) and I think I'm just going to hold onto it! My power amp SHOULD be here tomorrow! M4 + VHT 2/50/2 = match made in heaven! 8)

One of my thiele cabs is an older model that has the EVM speaker. I was turned onto them by a fellow MTS user when he saw I was dragging 4x12 cabs back and forth to practice. Funny enough, I think I prefer the celestion in my other thiele cab. Go figure. However, they are both a bit different and I think that helps differentiate the two channels. One is a "Mesa Boogie" model and weighs a ton. The other is a "Mesa" model and is quite a bit lighter.

I was really surprised at how "full" they sounded. I don't feel like I am missing anything at all from not using the 4x12 cabs. I played through some Bogner 2x12s at a friend's house and those sounded awesome too, however they were a bit on the pricey side for me at the time.

I think the power amp is very critical in judging how the RM4 sounds. I was not impressed at all when I first got my RM4 and used the power amp section of my 5150 to try it out.

Once the RT2/50 came in, it was a night and day difference. I've heard lots of good things baout the VHTs.

Xspider-

You know we are associated with www.tokaiforum.com and www.tokairegistry.com - I build and maintain both.

Ned

yeah i know; im on there as well but i barely find the time to go on haha. I know a lot about those already, the randall is a new world for me