what voltage..

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintkilz

Reaction score
resistors would you use for say R1 on the tube board on the module?

im only finding metal film 1/2 watt resistors on mouser.com and they are either 200volt, 3.5KVolt, or have no voltage listings at all....

go to radio schack, pretty much all they have is what you would use

no because they dont stock 1/2 watt resistors or metal film...

nobody can reveal the secret voltage?

I dont know about voltages, but I was told if I couldnt find 1/2 watt, I should get something 1 watt or higher and it would be fine. Never go lower than 1/2 watt. Dont know if that helps.

Nothing secret about it... just don't use a lower rated resistor than what the part was you're replacing.

If you can't find 1/2 watt, get a 1 watt, but you'll have a harder time getting it to fit.

Pete

...im not worried about the wattage...

its the VOLTAGE.

i can only find 200v, 3.5KV,and the rest on mouser have no voltage listings.

im not havin trouble finding 1/2 watt.

just making sure it wont fry if i get a 200v resistor, as i know thats a NO NO for stuff like the C3 mod, being it needs ATLEAST a 400v rating.

I'm far from an expert, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and sorry if I am, I don't mean to give out improper information) but it kinda seems you are getting Capacitors and Resistors confused.

C3 mods require Capacitors to be swapped, which is where you have to watch the voltage.

Swapping something like the R31 is a change in a resistor. Resistance is measured in Ohms (Look up the P.I.E.R. system for a better understanding). In the Resistors, you can usually tell the wattage by the size. Some spots on vanilla modules are 1/4 watt resistors and some are 1/2 watt resistors (at least on my Stock UltraXL sitting here). As long as you have the room, using all 1/2 watt resistors should be fine.

Again... apologies if I'm off base. Hopefully someone can confirm/deny :)

Here we go
Power is related to current and voltage by this equation
P=IV where P is power and I current and V is voltage
or P=I^2R given a certain Current and Resistor Value R
since P = .5 watts
you can find the voltage given a certain current but in the case of resistors its the power dissipation that you have to worry about to not exceed it or it gets hot and melts. so you gotta make sure that whatever the current is, the voltage across it will not exceed the .5W rating
hope this clears stuff up

Raumulus said:
I'm far from an expert, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and sorry if I am, I don't mean to give out improper information) but it kinda seems you are getting Capacitors and Resistors confused.

C3 mods require Capacitors to be swapped, which is where you have to watch the voltage.

Swapping something like the R31 is a change in a resistor. Resistance is measured in Ohms (Look up the P.I.E.R. system for a better understanding). In the Resistors, you can usually tell the wattage by the size. Some spots on vanilla modules are 1/4 watt resistors and some are 1/2 watt resistors (at least on my Stock UltraXL sitting here). As long as you have the room, using all 1/2 watt resistors should be fine.

Again... apologies if I'm off base. Hopefully someone can confirm/deny :)
This is exactly right. No worries about voltage for Resistors. Capacitors in guitar amps usually need to be 400v handling or higher though.