Ned's Rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
Here is the latest incarnation of my rig. Band is your basic rock/top40 cover band. Rack is a pedal tray, Pod XT Pro and an old Rocktron Rack Interface that came out of Jason White's rack (Green Day). RM50 head with Top Boost and 1086 (might switch to Eggie SL).

nedrig2.jpg

Pedal board is a PedalTrain PT2 with an Axess MFC5 (need a FX1 BAD), OD808, Strobo Stomp and Vox Wah. I can add a channel change box real quick and only take the head and pedal board if needed.

nedrig1.jpg

Here's a shot of the pedal tray which is a Penn Fab. Axess GRX4 with TS10 and Barber Silver LTD and an Axess CFX4 switching channel. Eventually I'll through some more pedals in the loop. Also will probably build a patch panel so I can hook the rack to the head with 1 cable.

nedrig3.jpg

Thanks. Would like to go to a 6 space shallow rack just for easier transport. Thinking about getting the small PedalTrain just to build a grab and go board for 2 set/small stage gigs so I can leave the rack at home.

Ned,

Nice rig man. Hey, how are you using the POD XT pro? In the effects loop for delays and chorus, stuff like that? How do you like it? Right now I'm using a Vox Tone Lab SE (pedal board version) between my M4 and RM50 HB for delays and stuff like that (set on line level). Just curious how and what you like about the POD. I like having a modeler on the gig so that if something goes wrong you always have something to play through, even direct or whatever you have to do to get through the gig.

I'm using it in the serial loop of my RM50 mainly for delays, mod and reverbs. But also as a backup just in case.

Some settings I really like some still need tweaking.

How are you using your M4 in conjunction with the RM50?

3 Mile Stone, Just incase you where intrested in other modellers.

I use the Boss GT-8 Simultaneously with my RM4; with the RM4 plugged into the FX retern of the GT-8. I use a line splitter for dual output so that I'm plugged in directly to the inputs for both the RM4 and GT-8 line ins (no Signal Degration); and to switch between the two I simply have the Loop turn on or off (I have this saved for each preset on the GT-8). The FX loop on the GT-8 is 100% moveable in the signal chain of the GT-8; so I can add on a TON of FX for the GT-8. This gives me the best of both worlds; where I can get a Tube Pre-amp or digital modelling when ever I want it.

There is also a rack version of the GT, the GT-PRO. Its nearly the same, but offers much more input options (with 3 effects loops)- but of course its cost a lot more too.

I'm sure the Boss GT8 is similar but there were 2 things that drew me to the POD XT.

1) I practice at home with a GuitarPort so I can create FX settings then transfer to the POD

2) It's really easy to program as each effect works like a stomp box - 3 to 4 knobs.

Update: The rig didn't last long.

Once I got into rehearsal and cranked up the amp the tone suck was to much. Simply unplugging the XT from the loop really opened the amp back up. Back to the pedal board.

I'll try and get some picks of the pedal this week. Basically the GRX4/CFX4 and MFC5 controlling the following:

Loop1 - TS9
Loop2 - Silver LTD
Loop3 - MIJ DD3 (delay)
Loop4 - Keeley modded MM-4 in the serial loop

Also have the Strobo stomp and OD808 for instant lead boost. Way is now on the floor next to the pedal board.

Need Mario at Axess to build a mini-FX1 that has loops built in.

Plug in your guitar input to the RM50; then use the RM50 Pre-Loop Out to plug into the PODXT's FX return. Then Run the PODs outputs to the RM50's power amp section.

Using the Serial loop for FX on the RM50 will of course generate tone suck; But I use the method above with my GT-8 to avoid that, so that I can add delays/reverbs/other time based FX.

Abomb-

My RM50 doesn't have a pre-loop out (my RM4 does) but it has a slave out, is this what your talking about? I would then have to return to the serial loop return.

ahh duh; I was thinking of my RM4 when I said that. You do have a pre-amp out though, right?

It should go like this...

Guitar->RM50 Input
PreAmp Out->PODXT FX Return
PODXT Lineout(mono)->RM50 FX return/ or a Power Amp Input

The idea is that you plug directly to the Randall Preamp and all of the tone gets processed using the PODXT. You're just putting the FX processing between the Pre-amp and the Poweramp.

On the RM50's that's the serial loop. The only thing you are doing differently is using he POD XT FX return versus the input. I'll give it a try at rehearsal tonight.

Cool Abobmb12,

I really like the Boss and Roland stuff. I've used much of their gear in the past. Basically with a moveable loop like you are describing you could do alot of cool things. Are the overdrive models pretty cool on that? I think that is where I am most disapointed in my Vox Tone Lab SE. The delays are very cool though, and that's really what I'm into. Actually the Vox has what they call an "insert" but it kind of sucks unless it's a wah or distortion because it's pre everything. So I can't do stuff like go into it, run through some cool overdrive models, then out to my M4 and back in like you can.

Ned,
Right now I'm going at it like this:
GTR>Pedal Board (Teese Wah>Fulltone Fat Boost>Reverend OD>Fulltone OCD>Volume Pedal)
Pedal Board>Eganater M4
M4>Return of Serial Loop RM50 HB>Cab

I have the Vox set on line level and mostly Chorus / Delay / Rotary / Vibe type effects.

If I get you guys right I could do the Boss and have programs with overdrive pedals & even amp models (when removing the M4 from the loop) and then insert the M4 wherever I want it, finish it off with delays and stuff from the Boss, and then back into the amp of course. I may have to try that out. Sounds like it would be cool. The massive amounts of cable kinda freaks me out a little though, I must admit. Although actually, if you set the M4 in a small rack box on the floor right in front of you, you could cut quite a bit of cable length out of the deal. Or like you said, go with the PRO version Boss and rack it all, with a midi controller. The only reason I'm reluctant to change is my rig sounds really good right now, totally thumpin'. I wish I had programable Overdrives though.

I dig that Axxess stuff Ned, I really need to get one of those 4 loop control units for my OD's.

The Axess stuff takes the tap dance out of your life.

There is another box (Omicrom I think) that is a MFC5 with 8 loops (2 GRX's) built in but it's $700. Would definately save some room on the pedalboard though and I could add a DL4.

Are the overdrive models pretty cool on that?

Yeah, most of the overdrives and distortions are faily good (especially the tube screamer). However, in my current setup, I can't use the OD/DS sims infront of my RM4- Infact, my setup only allows for POST effects for the RM4. Otherwise there would be terrible tone suck. I'll experiment with things though to see if I can infact place BOSS GT effects before the RM4 nicely.

I'll experiment with things though to see if I can infact place BOSS GT effects before the RM4 nicely.

Cool. What I really want to do is have progamable overdrives at different levels. Maybe like using different volumes, drive levels and stuff on different patches. You could have a lot of variations that way say in front of a Black Face Mod or DLX Mod.

There is another box (Omicrom I think) that is a MFC5 with 8 loops (2 GRX's) built in but it's $700. Would definately save some room on the pedalboard though and I could add a DL4.

Interesting piece of gear. Is that from Axxcess? I looked on their web page but didn't see it in the product line.

It's the Musicom Lab FX routing system. Link:

http://obgcustom.com/web/musicom/musicom.html

3MS, just to let you know, if you really want to have an integrated system with DS/OD pedals, you might be better off with a TC Electronic G-System. You would have to supply your own pedals, but other than that, you can easily switch patches between up to 4 pedals; with little or no noticiable tone suck. The system isn't cheap though, at around 1500USD; http://www.tcelectronic.com/G-System. That is just the simplest setup, and you could probrably build you're own modular setup (with routing, Midi pedal, and FX) for between $1100 and $2000

edit: see post below

Yep, I keep seeing that one come up alot. It looks like an awsome unit. Fill us all in on how you feel about the TC when you get it. It sounds like it will do much of what I need. I worry a little about it's "pristine" reputation. I love that my Vox SE has older echoplex and anolog delay sounds, and chorus and vibe sounds that are rich, deep, chewy and funky, much like the pedal sounds I'm used to. Can anyone using the TC comment on how it performs in that respect?