Mr.scary needs more gain

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donmecka36

Reaction score
Are there any mods that can give the mr.scary more gain? Currently my gain is at 10 and it's not enough.I would like of to have the gain of my ultra xl.

Dave Freidman or OKstrat could probably give a BIT more gain .but IMO that module is not designed for super chunk .It is what it is, a punchy open sound based on GL's 70's superlead ..The grail may give you a bit more .also a Boss SD 1 ..

Mine is modded , it added more clarity .it is super articulate but I would not say gainier..

Scary is not my fav low volume tone either it needs to be cranked a bit IMO

Julia said:
Not enough gain? Are you kidding?

lol ..If the OP is comparing it to an ultra XL ,5150ish type tone than I would say no .not the same type of gain.

It may not be the gain .I can see a lot of people just not digging the voicing that module does not scoop well IMO it is mid city .and you can get some honk .
However it sounds killer in a mix or live ..was playing along with Unchain the night the other day ..and again IMO it is very close to his tone

if an amp had more gain then one would use why boost it, all it does is cut about 40% of the low end out. i had a scary and actually thought it had decent gain , more than a 1086 but it was weird in the mids, had like a farty **** sound on mutes. for me the only module stock with proper gain is an ultra or xl, don't care for either stock but modded they are where its at for brutal high gain. i love my modded ultra, only changed one part out too

Try running Mr Scary with 6L6's and

Gain: wherever you like
Bass: 3:00
Mids: 1:30
Treble: noon

Regarding boosting for the 5150. I boost the crunch channel on it for some leads if what I'm playing doesn't merit the full blown lead channel.

maximus1 said:
if an amp had more gain then one would use why boost it, all it does is cut about 40% of the low end out. i had a scary and actually thought it had decent gain , more than a 1086 but it was weird in the mids, had like a farty s*&t sound on mutes. for me the only module stock with proper gain is an ultra or xl, don't care for either stock but modded they are where its at for brutal high gain. i love my modded ultra, only changed one part out too

what did you do to your ultra?

put a 47k resistor in r-25, i don't know what was already in it stock, i just cut it out and put the 47k in. sounds just like 5150 now, :twisted:

maximus1 said:
put a 47k resistor in r-25, i don't know what was already in it stock, i just cut it out and put the 47k in. sounds just like 5150 now, :twisted:
It was originally 100k. The Ultra XL actually has the 47k in that position :)

Shinozoku said:
maximus1 said:

is that the only difference between the ultra and ultra xl?

fuzzyguitars said:
Shinozoku said:
maximus1 said:

is that the only difference between the ultra and ultra xl?
Nope. R31 is 33k on the Ultra, 47k on the UXL, C14 is 100pF on the Ultra and 250pF on the UXL, and the C3's used to be different, but now I think they're both .0022uF. That's all I can find, I think, so basically that one resistor you mentioned, and the cap and resistor that dictate the midrange.

EDIT: Oh wow! I read it wrong! The R25 is the same on both of them, o r at least it was before. I have a newer UXL, and the R25 has been changed. According to the layouts (which I was just comparing), they were the same.

they were different at r-25 on the 2 that i had, when i ab/d them the moded ultra had ameaner tone compared the stock xl, the ultra had alot better cut to it after the mod too. when i had both modules plus a 6505+, . the ultra had the peavey tone nailed but the xl was a little different, the xl just sounded warmer and not as mean

They can be gained up a bit, my Slodano can be made off a an ultra, xl, or scary... they all have the same PCB. I don't think a stock mr scary though has '70 marshall levels of gain... the scary has more like modded JCM800 gain in my opinion. a '70 Marshall just doesn't have that much sauce.

Pete

I sent my Mr Scary module to Dave Friedman to do his Black Eye mod. Here is what I got back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcJ4Xwoz7GI Keep in mind that this is recorded with a camcorder at low volume.