Potential Rig - Thoughts?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGKAHUNA

Reaction score
Geez I have chronic GAS. Though I have zero experience with the GCX Switcher and controller I am seriously going to look into dumping my SKB Stage 5 board and getting the GCX system. I found out today that I can indeed ship a loaded Amp Head Rack to Philippines so I am going to order one very soon. I will need to take into account how many rack spaces will be needed. This is what my amp head rack will have to accommodate:

2 Randall Heads - RM100LB and T2HH
CGX Switcher
Rack mount wireless
Rack mount tuner
Eventide Pitch Factor
Eventide Mod Factor
Eventide Time Factor
ISP Decimator
OD pedal to be decided (opinions welcome)
Boss Bassman Pedal
Boss DLX Reverb Pedal

I also have a Morley Bad Horsie1. I know I will need at least 6 rack spaces with a couple of them being taken up by a drawer for the pedals. I would then be able to mount all my effects in the rack and control with the CGX? Does this sound about right? Then I would need to figure out how to get the signal (wet or dry) to either or both amp heads.

You probably want to put a rack PSU in place..so 6 spaces sounds about right...assuming all that Eventide stuff is pedals?

The GCX Switcher can do the signal routing you require...it can also do channel switching if your heads don't support MIDI switching but rather has the plug in jack type manual footswitch.

BIGKAHUNA said:
Geez I have chronic GAS. Though I have zero experience with the GCX Switcher and controller I am seriously going to look into dumping my SKB Stage 5 board and getting the GCX system. I found out today that I can indeed ship a loaded Amp Head Rack to Philippines so I am going to order one very soon. I will need to take into account how many rack spaces will be needed. This is what my amp head rack will have to accommodate:

2 Randall Heads - RM100LB and T2HH
CGX Switcher
Rack mount wireless
Rack mount tuner
Eventide Pitch Factor
Eventide Mod Factor
Eventide Time Factor
ISP Decimator
OD pedal to be decided (opinions welcome)
Boss Bassman Pedal
Boss DLX Reverb Pedal

I also have a Morley Bad Horsie1. I know I will need at least 6 rack spaces with a couple of them being taken up by a drawer for the pedals. I would then be able to mount all my effects in the rack and control with the CGX? Does this sound about right? Then I would need to figure out how to get the signal (wet or dry) to either or both amp heads.

If you put pedals in a rack, you'll need 2 spaces. I suggest using a low profile sliding shelf. You'll probably want some kind of pedal power to mount with the pedals.
You'll probably want a hum eliminator for both amps assuming they're going in the GCX.

The next step is to get the Rack. I will get the dual head rack with a PSU and 4 additional spaces equivalent to a 6 space rack. My main concern is having room for 6 to 8 pedals on the PSU with out it being cluttered. The Eventide Units are large. Once I get the rack ordered and shipped I will pick up the GCX unit and board.

Anybody have experience with either Rock Hard Cases or Mental Case? I need to serviceable amp rack but it wont be going on any extensive tours. It will probable moved around a bit locally and may make a flight eventually. I guess its possible that a middle of the road well made case would fit the bill but I don't to end up with a bargain brand case that falls apart in 5 years. s.

Word on another board is the Mental Cases are top quality and will last a life time. Thoughts?

it is going to depend on how deep the rack drawer is. i highly suggest going to 8 spaces to have the extra room. nothing is worse than running out. those eventide pedals are monsters. i personally think your going to need 2 shelves for what you got cooking.

I appreciate your input guys...this one is going to be an adventure as it is not going to be cost effective to ship the rack directly to the APO that I am located at. It would simply cost too much to have it shipped here and then on to the Philippines. This will put me at disadvantage as I won?t have time to set up my rig and trouble shoot. I will receive all my gear here at the APO and I will have to collect all the peripheral accessories and ship them to the Phils and hope like hell I got all my bases covered when I get there. If anyone has any advice please feel free to pass along. Thanks all.

RD/Steve said:
it is going to depend on how deep the rack drawer is. i highly suggest going to 8 spaces to have the extra room. nothing is worse than running out. those eventide pedals are monsters. i personally think your going to need 2 shelves for what you got cooking.

I contacted Mental Case with a detailed list of my needs and I noted the concern regarding pedal and cabling space. I'll see what they come back with. Will probably do the same with RockHard as well. Thanks for the heads up Steve.

I have some similar gear and I think it is important to consider what you intended use for all this great gear is. If you are a gigging musician and you are not in an act with a big dedicated road crew I would strongly suggest not going with the 2 heads + rack space all in once case. It will be too heavy to move and you will curse the thing every time you have to go through I flight of stair(this led me to purchase the Axe-fx as a dedicated "b" rig). A couple of smaller cases is a lot easier to move around. Now if you are going to use this in a home studio type environment then a big all in one case is fine although I would probably rather just build one with nice lumbar stained etc.