Randall Reliability

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGKAHUNA

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right fourm for this thread but since there is a lot of tech stuff here I thought I would post here.

My first Randall Head was a T2 ordered from Musicians Friend. Right out of the box it didnt work and in addition to this - the serial number was missing (ahdesive on the amp where it was but no number). My conern is that I seem to read a lot of threads with folks have trouble with both the T2 and the RM100. I have both of these heads on the way (My first Randalls) and where I am going to be located I wont have access to an amp tech or Randall Dealer.

My question is, does Randall have a solid QA/QC program? Are the issues with the amps systemic or isolated? I am absolutely friggin stoked to get all of the pieces of my rig together but I hope I don?t have to spend consistent time inside the amp replacing fuses, fixing connections or replacing parts. That would definitely suck as I will have limited resources for parts and material. I am capable of digging into the amp myself, I was an HVAC Technician prior to my last 3 years in Project Controls and I have had to trouble shoot some fairly complex electronic circuits but I don?t want to have to do this regularly.

I haven't had any problems with my amps (Lynch Box, 2 RM100s, 1 RM50, two RM20s) other than a connector working loose on one of the RM100s. Was a 15 minute fix. And a bad tube, but that wasn't the amp's fault.

People flip out when they see all the fuses, but they are there to protect the amp. What may take the randall down for a few minutes (until you swap a fuse) may put another amp in the shop for a long time.

Case in point: I had a bad tube blow up a screen resistor on a Mesa boogie amp once. I had to take the whole thing apart, remove a board, remove the part, solder a new resistor, reassemble it. Took me about an hour (I was being careful) but if I didn't know what I was doing the amp would have had to go to the shop for at least a few days and more likely weeks. Or even back to Boogie if I didn't have a local repair center.

had the same thing happen to one of my Randalls. Replaced the tube fuse that blew and was rocking again 5 minutes later. Would have been going 1 minute later but I had to remember where I put the fuses. :)

I have no idea on Randall current solid state reliability, but I gigged my RM100 hard and use all my amps around the house with zero issues other than what was mentioned above.

Pete

Thanks Pete, thats great to hear. I will have to do my own amp repair work in the Phils most likely.....can you suggest some good resouce material that will help me ramp up my knowledge? Thanks.