Questions about modding the modules...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy510

Reaction score
Does the bottom plate come all the way off? It appeared to be joined with the front plate on an older module I had, and I'm waiting for my TopBoost so I haven't looked at a newer one myself. Will it come off totally or only part of the way? Also, when solder an item onto a PCB (I've only soldered guitar electronics before) do I touch the iron and solder directly on the board or do I solder onto the resistor while it is in the hole? Thanks guys!

I just got it... clipped off the C7 and C13 pieces but I can't get the bottom plate to come off. Is there a trick to it? It looks like it is connected to the front metal part, so I can't figure out how to access the bottom of the PCB? PLEASE HELP!!! :( I was hoping to mod this and have it done by tonight so I could make sure it works! :cry:

You've got to remove the front plate first - knobs, nuts, etc. It's kind of a pain in the butt.

I soldered the resistor from the bottom of the board. Tin the the tip of your iron first then apply heat to the resistor wire sticking through the hole right at the hole. Solder should flow from the iron tip to the board. Be careful not to burn the board.

Well I was able to get the resistor in without burning the board, or removing the plate. It came out kinda ugly as this was my first time working in that tight of a space. :x However, I bought a 5 pack of the resistors, so I might take it out and plug a new one in the same spot with the solder that is on the joints I made! :wink: I was having my girlfriend hold the resistor with a set of needlenose and she like poked it too far down in the board and I almost freaked out! I need to get myself one of those alligator clip stands to hold my wires for me.... :roll:

*Sigh* going to have to wait another week for my VHT power amp anyways.... might as well work on it since I don't have a power amp! :cry:

FWIW, I've never needed to remove the bottom plate to do ANY of the mods.

Just tin your iron good, heat up the part and take it out one leg at a time if need be. Then Re-heat the solder pad enough to let the legs of the new part go in, again one at a time if need be, and then heat the legs and add final solder. Done!

Latest posts