Need smooth Marshall-ish high gain module...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
I just got an RM50B combo that came with Blackface and Recto modules (both modded). I'm looking for a module that doesn't have the buzz/grit of the Recto sound. More of a smooth, Marshall-like sound. I'd like to have a good amount of gain on tap. Also, need something that is decent with palm mutes. Probably used 75% for rhythm and 25% for lead.

Reading the module descriptions, I'm thinking maybe SL+, XTC....possibly even a 1086. Any other ideas or thoughts? Thanks!

I think the Brown module is smoother than the XTC. I like it quite a bit. Feels pretty close to my Egnater EG3. Or go with the Egnater EG3, smoooooooth marshall.

I would check out the Plexi or the 1086, both can get smooth is just depends on how much distortion you want.

Yeah, i have the brown too and the recto, and the xtc

the XTC is somewhat more trebly than the Recto and Brown. The recto is indeed a little fuzzier, the brown is 'thicker' sounds like a marshall, I think. I do think that the recto and brown have a similar voicing, but they can sound different. I like the 3 modules very much, and can't decide which one is my favorite hi gain module, they all have different sounds but they all rock.

But, to answer your question, I guess Brown, plexi of 1086. My brother has an 1086 and it sounds pretty good, very different from the recto.

+1 ...just what Scooter said!!! the Mr Scary or SL+ will do it...for what you've described - 75% rhythm/25% leads-i'd go with the SL+...if you were looking for 25% rhythm/75% leads-then i'd recommend the Mr Scary module.they're pretty close either way,though.i have the SL+ and recently sold my Mr Scary and this was my perception of both modules-tonewise...also,the Brown module kinda fits in between both the SL+ & Mr Scary,so you couldnt go wrong there either.the Brown does rhythm & leads equally as well.it has a little less gain on tap than the SL+ & Mr Scary,but a tad more gain than the Plexi module....................

I have a Mr. Scary on sale for $200 if you're interested! :wink: Shoot me a PM, I'm going to be listing it on eBay this week if there are no bites before then! :)

Of the modules being discussed, which one handles palm mutes the best? Also, which one cuts through a live band mix the best?

I'd go SL+ (possibly modded) if palm muted chugga is your goal. The XTC will do it too, but it's a little looser in the lower register. However, the XTC cuts in a mix really well. Probably a little better than the SL+.

So, I guess I'm not helping... :?

Buy my brown or trade me for a blackface or deluxe. Then you will know what's up.

SL+ for palm mutes!!! i actually did some a/b'ing with my SL+ and the Mr Scary and,even though they are close to each other,i decided to keep the SL+ for palm mutes-specifically!!! ...i sold the Mr Scary,but it is a great module & tone as well,imo.

I'm still open to opinions, but at this point, based on your comments, it looks like I'm leaning toward an SL+ module. Anybody got or know of a used one for sale? Thanks.

I've had the SL+ and i thought it sounded not as good as the other modules, really weak, not really powerful, the tubes weren't bad, so.

I think the recto and brown are more powerful sounding, they have more middle/bass and overall GROWL. but that's just my opinion.

Put a MXR ZW-44 before a Plexi module and you got all the Masrhall gain you need.

I got the SL+(modded).. but the Plexi stands out as the best overall sound and with some power(overdrivepedal) infront of it it screams..

I agree with Nrrrk in that the SL+ while a good sounding module just wasn't as powerful as others such as XTC. I play in a 80's cover band and XTC as well as my recently acquired Mr. Scary cut through the live mix pretty good. Both are good for palm mutes, rhythms, leads, etc... My 1086, Brown, Recto, all the Ultra modules, and Plexi, sit on the shelf most of the time. You won't regret either the XTC or Mr. Scary. I tend to use XTC most of the time.

wow, that seems to go agaisnt what I hear most people saying; that the 1086 and SL+ are the better of the high-gain modules...especially in comparison to the XTC which doesn't have as much gain.

Although, I could believe it- I tried the XTC with my new cab and it sounded very nice indeed- even if it didn't have all the gain as my UltraXL. But I'm definitely going to be grabing the SL+ and 1086 modules soon because I need more marshally tones (as well as the 1086's more recto tone).

run a compressor before the xtc and you've got that little kick over the edge you need really. Its my main module and i loves it haha.