My (finally) completed rack setup featuring the RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC_Charvel

Reaction score
This is my newly completed rig with the help of HippieTim....

It is centered around the RM4 but I also have the Rocktron Chameleon Online for added versatility and tones...it sounds huge in this rack...and with the RM4's tones...it is killer.

Tim and I wired it up with Canare cable and Neutrik connectors. The power and audio cables were separated as much as possible. It is very quiet considering all the units in the rack.

Here's a few pics:
HippieJarheadSummit5%20(13).jpg

HippieJarheadSummit5%20(14).jpg

SamRackAudio.gif

I can still add pedals or other units with the empty loops in the GCX for added versatility or upgrade etc. so it's still very flexible.

Im using the Plexi, Brown, Top-Boost, and SL+ modules in the RM4.

I'm digging the rack big-time....

Nice setup....

I like how clean and thought out the connections are made.

Note if you look at the room it looks like a hurricane hit :) your Rack system is hurricane proof :)

FM

That is a GREAT looking wiring job! Very nice work!

If you decide to get really crazy, there is an online place (the name escapes me at the moment) that sells power cords in 1ft, 2ft lengths so you can get rid of the wire bundles near the power strips for the rack gear that has removable power cords.

I was going to ask about the RP200... I've heard good and bad things about it. Is it really sterile? Any chance at a more in-depth review or of how it interacts with the MTS gear? I heard it was loud but obviously since it's solid state is doesn't have the tube warmth that the power amp section really needs! 8) Nice rig nonetheless, bet that's a backbreaker though... :wink:

It's a great amp, I just don't think it's really the right choice for a rack perse.

I think a bass player, keyboard player, or somebody with a MIDI synth or to power monitors etc it would be perfect.

Eventually, I want a VHT 2-50-2 I think.....

But, the rack is up and running....no end of headroom lol...that is for sure.

How does the Chameleon compare to the RM4?

The Rocktron Prophesy was the other preamp I was seriously considering before I bought my RM4. Unfortunately, I was not able to audition either unit locally before deciding on one.

I know the Chameleon is not the Prophesy, but I would still be interested to hear your thoughts on this preamp vs the RM4.

Thanks,
Gary

The Chameleon is a great preamp. It holds it's own with the RM4 because it is a different sounding beast. It does crystal cleans extremely well and it does that super tight heavy crunch extremely well. The other in-between gain tones are respectable but not quite as good as the RM4 - they are nice alternatives though. Sam's got himself an extremely versatile rack there. It's amazing what you can do with a nice switcher and mixer.

do you have a link for Canare cable so i can order materials and remake my rig?